Please help with lift... overwhelmed

2020jlwv

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jl unlimited sport
I’m ready to purchase a lift for my jlu sport to run 35s. I don’t want to waste my money on a cheap lift but I won’t be off-roading much. I’m looking at factory mopar, teraflex st2 2.5” with falcon shocks, and metal cloak true dual rate. Are all of these good choices or, does someone definitely recommend one over the other? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Hello. Congrats on your upcoming purchase.

You have asked a question that MANY people will have an opinion on. There are many options concerning lift.

Many (ok most if not all) people that get a lift do so because they want it and they like the looks. Are there owners that put lift “123” on their rig allowing them to do some additional things off road. Simple answer.... Yes.

But my belief is that many of us with lifts prefer the look of the Jeep more. That is the case for me.

With or without a lift Jeep is very capable off-road. Many will say the most capable of any stock civilian vehicle.

I will share some detail / time line below along with some pics, but before that I will give you two recommendations.

1. Before you put a lift on your Jeep. Put at least some miles on it. It does not have to be thousands of miles. For example I put right around 500 miles on mine before the lift. This will allow you to understand how your rig rides before the lift. This will allow you better understand if there is a negative impact caused by the lift. From reading your original post it sounds like you already have the Jeep and you are simply looking to add a lift to it. So it appears you already have this item covered.

2. Don’t spend loads of $$$$$$$ on a specific lift if you can get a good one for less that will get you what you want. (Here is a place where others will have countless opinions and that is fine). But if you don’t plan of major off-roading, then why dress it out to the 9’s. Again my opinion. But by all means if that if what you want and you have the capability, then go for it.

I will add more info later.

Last edited:

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new Jeep and welcome to the club! This has been posed 1000 times before. It will be tough to get a quick answer. I can assure you, there are many answers and considerations on this forum. Do some forum searching, my friend! There are no easy buttons :)

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
You probably don't want to waste your money on a full lift either if you end up with a rough ride for the bulk of your miles. Those "cheap" lifts can get you there without impacting your factory ride quality much. I wouldn't be swapping out springs and shocks unless there was something I was looking to achieve (more articulation, firmer ride, etc). Something to think about!

Edit: looking to achieve something besides just lift, that is, since spacers do that without doing anything else.

blue_meany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the rancho 2.5 with the 9000 adj shocks. Rides pretty much like factory. For the money and your needs I would say it’s hard to beat.

I added new trackbars, but they were not “needed”. Also added the rancho geometry brackets to bump up the castor after adding a spacer upfront to help with the bumper/winch sag. But once again, these add ons weren’t required. Just helped improve everything even more.

B890DC0F-EB55-4DFA-87C6-60763570C5A1.jpeg

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you aren't off-roading, you don't need a lift at all for 35s. You will need wheel spacers, that's it (on factory wheels).

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Additional info to the post above.

JLJP74 Ocean Blue Metallic 2.0L 4 Dr.
Ordered: 7/27/2019
Arrived at dealer: 9/4
I took delivery: 9/5
Added 2” Mopar lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires: 9/10. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME (35X12.50RTLT).

The Jeep rides really well. This is my DD. I transitioned from a Toyota Highlander. In my opinion the ride is comparable to how it was stock but rides slightly more rigid. This was my goal. So I am very pleased with it.
28331F67-618C-4174-B394-D32AF2E30C1C.jpeg

49CBA9FD-8BC3-410E-8D7F-3171363943EA.jpeg

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Unfortunately asking for a lift suggestion can be like asking for a tire recommendation. Lots of people will recommend what they have, without having tried anything else. And everyone is looking for something different. If people aren't happy with what they have they will probably tell you though.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what tires you are looking at in 35”? Tires play a huge roll in how a vehicle rides and handles so if you mostly drive on the road and are concerned about this I would look for a C load range tire in that size. If that is not a big concern you could go to a D load range but I personally wouldn’t go beyond that, as your ride will suffer a lot for a daily commute. What wheels and size do you plan to run?

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If not really going offroad save your $ and just get an RC spacer lift

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Keith, I put the Mopar 2.5 lift on my Rubicon left the OE tires with new 9.5 wide wheels and it rides better then stock. I did put the recall hd steering stabilizer on but I did not have any problems before
Sponsored