First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
Hi,

New to the forum, 1st post...

I recently purchased a 21 JLU Willys Sport w/ 2.0 4cyl turbo. (This is my 1st Jeep... I just needed a change and the idea of getting the kids some fresh air during COVID was appealing).
Anyway, I'd like some advice from experienced owners about whether or not to lift and/or replace the shocks/springs.

My situation....
  • Jeep is a daily driver. I'm rolling with 2 Graco 4Evers in the back, and my wife will kill me if I do anything to make the ride less safe (previous vehicle was an F150 SuperCrew, which is pretty much the ultimate family sedan these days, and it was a bit of a struggle to convince my wife that a Wrangler would still be fine).
  • Realistically, off-road will be infrequent and light (camping, field, beach). No trails or rock crawling in my near future
  • Endgame tires are likely to be in the 33" to 34" range. (I like the stock rims, and that seems to be what will fit)
  • Upgrades thus far include:
    • ACE Rock Sliders (I needed steps for the little ones, and those were the only ones I could find that were compatible with the Rubicon rails from the Willys package - probably overbuilt for my needs at ~50lbs each)
    • Barricade bull bar (helps prevent shopping carts from rolling into my front bumper at the grocery store)
    • K&N muffler delete (kind of an impulse buy, may or may not keep)
When I first purchased, driving on the interstate was a bit "white knuckle" compared to my F150, but after adding the extra weight, the jeep feels more "planted" in the lane on the highway at the cost of some gas mileage (both subjective).

I've started to wonder if I would benefit from new shocks and/or springs (rubi rails + ACE rails + bull bar + any other extra weight)?

Should I:
  • Do nothing (Stock shocks/springs are fine, and no need to lift for my situation)
  • Replace the shocks, but keep the springs without lifting (Fox, OME, Falcon, etc...)
  • Do both at the same time with a small lift (Dynatrac enduro 2" , OME JL4DHK 2", etc... I'm serious about it being a small lift and not the 2" Mopar lift that is really closer to 4" on a JLU Sport)
Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

KLD JEEP.jpg
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Hi,

New to the forum, 1st post...

I recently purchased a 21 JLU Willys Sport w/ 2.0 4cyl turbo. (This is my 1st Jeep... I just needed a change and the idea of getting the kids some fresh air during COVID was appealing).
Anyway, I'd like some advice from experienced owners about whether or not to lift and/or replace the shocks/springs.

My situation....
  • Jeep is a daily driver. I'm rolling with 2 Graco 4Evers in the back, and my wife will kill me if I do anything to make the ride less safe (previous vehicle was an F150 SuperCrew, which is pretty much the ultimate family sedan these days, and it was a bit of a struggle to convince my wife that a Wrangler would still be fine).
  • Realistically, off-road will be infrequent and light (camping, field, beach). No trails or rock crawling in my near future
  • Endgame tires are likely to be in the 33" to 34" range. (I like the stock rims, and that seems to be what will fit)
  • Upgrades thus far include:
    • ACE Rock Sliders (I needed steps for the little ones, and those were the only ones I could find that were compatible with the Rubicon rails from the Willys package - probably overbuilt for my needs at ~50lbs each)
    • Barricade bull bar (helps prevent shopping carts from rolling into my front bumper at the grocery store)
    • K&N muffler delete (kind of an impulse buy, may or may not keep)
When I first purchased, driving on the interstate was a bit "white knuckle" compared to my F150, but after adding the extra weight, the jeep feels more "planted" in the lane on the highway at the cost of some gas mileage (both subjective).

I've started to wonder if I would benefit from new shocks and/or springs (rubi rails + ACE rails + bull bar + any other extra weight)?

Should I:
  • Do nothing (Stock shocks/springs are fine, and no need to lift for my situation)
  • Replace the shocks, but keep the springs without lifting (Fox, OME, Falcon, etc...)
  • Do both at the same time with a small lift (Dynatrac enduro 2" , OME JL4DHK 2", etc... I'm serious about it being a small lift and not the 2" Mopar lift that is really closer to 4" on a JLU Sport)
Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

KLD JEEP.jpg
Welcome!

First and foremost I’d lower the air pressure in the tires as I’m sure they’re in the 40psi realm.

With your planned infrequent light off roading, then a simple suspension spacer lift should be perfect so that you can fit the 33’s nicely once you get them on. Here’s a true to size 2.5kit for example

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-25-suspension-lift-kit-2018-jl.html

The kit has shock extensions so you wouldn’t need to replace the shocks if you didn’t want to. If you’re completely set on new shocks, then you’ll have a couple options: 1)new, longer shocks and remove the extensions, or 2)new, same length shocks and keep the extensions.

I usually don’t recommend spacer lifts, but just seems like a perfect fit for what you are planning. And it should save you $$$$.

I love my AEV DualSport 2.5 suspension lift (I believe it’s more like a 4” lift). The ride is fantastic and provides for amazing flex when needed. I opted for aftermarket wheels with an aggressive offset both for looks and as an attempt to maintain the center of gravity for safety.

Good luck as the choices are innumerable and can make your head spin! 🤪

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good luck narrowing it all down to one perfect solution. IMO the Rubicon takeoff suspension would be a good plan, since you have a Willys you already have the Rubicon shocks, so all you would need is the Rubicon springs. If you can find springs from a heavy 4dr Rubicon or better yet, a diesel Rubicon you can get about at least a 1.5" lift. This will keep all your parts OEM, is an easy install, and you can always add a set of upgraded shocks down the road if you feel you need them. Fox 2.0 shocks w 0 to 1.5" lift applications are a good upgrade.

Here's my install thread on the Rubicon takeoffs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

And a good thread on Fox shocks w/ Rubicon springs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iew-stock-height-can-you-even-flex-bro.30338/
And a good post w/ videos of how much flex you can get w/ Fox shocks on stock springs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-2dr-sport-only-thread.15647/page-20#post-1041924

OP
OP
SandyUndercarriage

SandyUndercarriage

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
Good luck narrowing it all down to one perfect solution. IMO the Rubicon takeoff suspension would be a good plan, since you have a Willys you already have the Rubicon shocks, so all you would need is the Rubicon springs. If you can find springs from a heavy 4dr Rubicon or better yet, a diesel Rubicon you can get about at least a 1.5" lift. This will keep all your parts OEM, is an easy install, and you can always add a set of upgraded shocks down the road if you feel you need them. Fox 2.0 shocks w 0 to 1.5" lift applications are a good upgrade.

Here's my install thread on the Rubicon takeoffs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

And a good thread on Fox shocks w/ Rubicon springs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iew-stock-height-can-you-even-flex-bro.30338/
And a good post w/ videos of how much flex you can get w/ Fox shocks on stock springs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-2dr-sport-only-thread.15647/page-20#post-1041924
Thanks so much for the reply. I hadn't even thought of this as an option. Good info on those linked threads. I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
SandyUndercarriage

SandyUndercarriage

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
Welcome!

First and foremost I’d lower the air pressure in the tires as I’m sure they’re in the 40psi realm.

With your planned infrequent light off roading, then a simple suspension spacer lift should be perfect so that you can fit the 33’s nicely once you get them on. Here’s a true to size 2.5kit for example

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-25-suspension-lift-kit-2018-jl.html

The kit has shock extensions so you wouldn’t need to replace the shocks if you didn’t want to. If you’re completely set on new shocks, then you’ll have a couple options: 1)new, longer shocks and remove the extensions, or 2)new, same length shocks and keep the extensions.

I usually don’t recommend spacer lifts, but just seems like a perfect fit for what you are planning. And it should save you $$$$.

I love my AEV DualSport 2.5 suspension lift (I believe it’s more like a 4” lift). The ride is fantastic and provides for amazing flex when needed. I opted for aftermarket wheels with an aggressive offset both for looks and as an attempt to maintain the center of gravity for safety.

Good luck as the choices are innumerable and can make your head spin! 🤪
I appreciate the help, and you are most definitely correct... I just checked, tires are at 40-42psi...

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks so much for the reply. I hadn't even thought of this as an option. Good info on those linked threads. I appreciate the help!
No problem!
Check the member marketplace on the site, you can often find full takeoffs w/ springs, shocks, end links for $150 or less.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Note, almost all of the spring lift kit heights are based off of a Rubicon base height, so you'll likely see at minimum an inch more than the advertised lift. Most will have firmer springs than stock Rubicons.

Spacer lifts will normally be true to advertised, as the spacer is a direct change to ride height. This won't change your spring rate.

The Rubicon spring rate is normally a little firmer than others, and both lift and spring rate will vary depending on the options of the Jeep it's taken off.

If you don't want/need a lift, there's probably not a great reason to do it. Lifts are always compromises, and at minimum it will raise the center of gravity (spacer).
Sponsored