Sponsored

Please help to identify what is leaking here

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
While changing my oil today, I noticed something leaked onto my transmission (6MT). The picture is shot from driver side. I think the leak is coming from the circled part, but I need some help to identify what it is. Also, is this engine oil or something else? I removed that rubber grommet on driver side, and it is completely wet inside as well.
I didn't notice any drops in my garage, so it must be a very slow leak. Could it possibly caused by 6 quarts oil that dealer previously put in?

Adding in some additional information that might help:
1. Radiator was replaced 2 years ago on my first oil change. It was under a recall even though I didn't notice any problems.
2. Dealer had put in 6 quarts in previous oil changes
3. I installed an oil catch can which collected a good amount of mixture with a few hundred miles
4. Clutch recall was done a few months ago

I am very curious what might cause those black splash mark...

Jeep Wrangler JL Please help to identify what is leaking here IMG_1747

Jeep Wrangler JL Please help to identify what is leaking here IMG_1756
Jeep Wrangler JL Please help to identify what is leaking here IMG_1755
Sponsored

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Use your senses. What does it smell/taste like?

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
Looks like oil to me. Since your dealer overfilled the oil by a quart I would initially suspect that.
Maybe clean it off and then keep checking. That way you might be able to determine exactly where it’s coming from.
I wouldn’t taste it though :)

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Looks like coolant to me.
Thanks for chiming in. Could you please share some additional insight on why it might be coolant? Is it because the location, those black splash marks or something else? I am very curious about those black splash marks.

Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I’d clean it up the best you can and see if it comes back. I had a leak very similar to this only after having the Jeep a few months. Never was enough to drip. Just made the underside of the bell housing wet.

I thought it was a valve cover leak so I took it into the dealership. They suspected that the oil filter housing had a crack. (Supposedly over torquing the filter will cause a leak just like this.) after cleaning things up and running the engine for many hours they couldn’t replicate the leak.

To this day I have no idea what causes it. I’ll see oil down there once maybe twice a year. Very small trace amounts. I never considered it coinciding with oil changes before. Perhaps a small spill or over fill will result with it running down the engine just like that. I’d clean it up and see how quickly it returns if ever. If it seems to leak quickly or start to drip it could be a crack in the filter housing.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I am also in agreement with my fellow members about giving it a really good cleaning and then examining it daily tans seeing if any leaks/changes have developed.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I think the dealer either spilled oil along side the filler while refiling your oil. Oil changes are usually given to low level mechanics.

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I’d clean it up the best you can and see if it comes back. I had a leak very similar to this only after having the Jeep a few months. Never was enough to drip. Just made the underside of the bell housing wet.

I thought it was a valve cover leak so I took it into the dealership. They suspected that the oil filter housing had a crack. (Supposedly over torquing the filter will cause a leak just like this.) after cleaning things up and running the engine for many hours they couldn’t replicate the leak.

To this day I have no idea what causes it. I’ll see oil down there once maybe twice a year. Very small trace amounts. I never considered it coinciding with oil changes before. Perhaps a small spill or over fill will result with it running down the engine just like that. I’d clean it up and see how quickly it returns if ever. If it seems to leak quickly or start to drip it could be a crack in the filter housing.
Thank you @dfFifty @DavidArmen @m3reno for your inputs. I would definitely give it a good clean and keep monitoring. A crack on the oil filter housing is definitely possible. It is plastic and I was really surprised how tight it was twisted on. I just look up the torque spec for reference:
20 ft-lbs for the drain plug and 18 ft-lbs for the plastic oil filter housing. I will give it a good clean and proper torque tomorrow.

Sponsored

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Check your valve cover Cam Sensor under the intake. I've had my passanger side replaced about a year ago, now it's leaking again. Currently scheduling my drivers side this week. See pics I took with borescope for dealer.

Driverside Front Angle2.JPG

Driverside Starter and Block.jpg

Driverside Lower Valve Cover EGR.JPG

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Check your valve cover Cam Sensor under the intake. I've had my passanger side replaced about a year ago, now it's leaking again. Currently scheduling my drivers side this week. See pics I took with borescope for dealer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Please help to identify what is leaking here Driverside Lower Valve Cover EGR.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Please help to identify what is leaking here Driverside Lower Valve Cover EGR.JPG

Thanks for your input and I also followed your thread from earlier this year. Glad your dealer is pretty easy to work with which they didn't blame things on Tazer/Hikeit/oil catch can and etc. Hope they get this all sort out for you. Just curious, how many miles do you have now?

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
I opined that it looks like coolant because it appeared to have some green around the edges.

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Just turned 30k. Besides steering box loose, hopefully replaced soon, and recall for clutch? It's been very reliable.
Sponsored