Please help , rear brakes not releasing all the way after lift kit

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
I lifted my jl sport 3.5 inches and the rear brakes or maybe the hand brake not releasing all the way , i put the jeep in drive or reverse and it won’t move for a second then it will go , i back up and pull forward couple times , sometimes it won’t lock that much and sometimes it does . I didn’t do anything to the brakes just took the bracket off and put it back on when i was done
Sponsored

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I lifted my jl sport 3.5 inches and the rear brakes or maybe the hand brake not releasing all the way , i put the jeep in drive or reverse and it won’t move for a second then it will go , i back up and pull forward couple times , sometimes it won’t lock that much and sometimes it does . I didn’t do anything to the brakes just took the bracket off and put it back on when i was done
Maybe it needs a relocation bracket for the cable. Unbolt the bracket leave it unbolted and see if that changes it

OP
OP
Joe kenzo

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Maybe it needs a relocation bracket for the cable. Unbolt the bracket leave it unbolted and see if that changes it
I’ll try that tomorrow , the lines are not tight or pinched , but i’ll take the bracket off tomorrow and see what happens

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll try that tomorrow , the lines are not tight or pinched , but i’ll take the bracket off tomorrow and see what happens
I mean it’s good start kind of like backtracking your steps because I know at 3 1/2 inch lift drop brackets relocation bracket start coming into play on certain kits

OP
OP
Joe kenzo

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
I mean it’s good start kind of like backtracking your steps because I know at 3 1/2 inch lift drop brackets relocation bracket start coming into play on certain kits
They provided the hand brake bracket only , i’ll email rancho and see what they will say

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
They provided the hand brake bracket only , i’ll email rancho and see what they will say
Route the parking brake lines under the frame instead of over it. Should create enough slack in them

4A0B57CE-4518-4458-9C0E-CD111623B846.png

83EFE4CE-9804-45B5-9B3C-B472EE41F556.png

OP
OP
Joe kenzo

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
I already did , the kit i bought has a braket for the hand brake when you reroute them below . I even disconnected the cable from the brakes and still got that problem , i think something is wrong with the brakes

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I already did , the kit i bought has a braket for the hand brake when you reroute them below . I even disconnected the cable from the brakes and still got that problem , i think something is wrong with the brakes
Oh gotcha, thats no good. Id take the wheels back off and rotate the caliper back a bit and see if somethings stuck on the guide plates or try to manually squeeze the caliper back in a little see if it will move. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing major. out of curiosity you are not on any incline when you test things right? They have a hill assist feature that will hold the brakes in automatically on an incline and release when you hit the accelerator.

OP
OP
Joe kenzo

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Oh gotcha, thats no good. Id take the wheels back off and rotate the caliper back a bit and see if somethings stuck on the guide plates or try to manually squeeze the caliper back in a little see if it will move. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing major. out of curiosity you are not on any incline when you test things right? They have a hill assist feature that will hold the brakes in automatically on an incline and release when you hit the accelerator.[/QUOTE
Oh gotcha, thats no good. Id take the wheels back off and rotate the caliper back a bit and see if somethings stuck on the guide plates or try to manually squeeze the caliper back in a little see if it will move. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing major. out of curiosity you are not on any incline when you test things right? They have a hill assist feature that will hold the brakes in automatically on an incline and release when you hit the accelerator.
i’m doing it in my garage i got done with the rear and when i was trying to move the jeep to park it backward i noticed the problem , it feels like something is holding for 2 seconds and then it release slowly , and the ground is even , tomorrow i’m going to finish the front And i’ll take the back tires off and see what’s up

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Almost sounds like your hill assist is kicking in.

Sponsored

rlamorte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimited Sport S
Same thing is happening to me. It is the Hill Assist. For some reason my clinometer shows I am on an incline and the hill assist kicks in. Go to settings and turn it off

Last edited:

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Same thing is happening to me. It is the Hill Assist. For some reason my clinometer shows I am on an incline and the hill assist kicks in. Go to settings and turn it off
Have you found a way to correct the clinometer? I put on rubi suspension and tires and my clinometer displays I am 6 degrees nose down when I am on flat ground. Also, I know my driveway is 6 degrees up and that’s where I used the flashcal for the speedo. I was wondering if doing that on the incline somehow zero’d out the clinometer at 6 degrees.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My brake is also sticking but I think it’s the e brake cables being frozen after washing all the mud off the bottom :cwl: the stick has been getting less and less each day and the lever feel is returning to normal.
Sponsored