Sponsored

PLEASE HELP! Creaking rubber at bottom of the cargo glass

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just looked this tape up - pricey for a small roll.
Yes, pricey.
Just buy yourself a $4.59+ -, 0.33 oz. tube of bulb grease/ Dielecric Grease. That little tube has enough grease to do well over 15 applications to that long rubber gasket.

I even got the techs at the local dealership in Florida, hooked on using it. They had been using silicone grease/spray, but found it only lasted a week or two and customer's were coming back.

Dielectric grease lasts for months. It does the job well.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Similar to Arterius2, I put the 3M tape on the inside (not over the lip), then lubed up the seal with silicone grease, then readjusted the Rugged Ridge hinge as high up as I could get it...and all the creaking is gone except one spot on the right side. That one is probably reduced by 30% so still need to target it as it now drives me only a little crazy. GPCA tie-downs come in a few days and that will increase the hardtop contact footprint and hopefully help a little.

Side note, I found that a lot of rattling was coming from the (useless) “Jeep Trail Ready” plastic removable long rectangle on the tailgate cover. So that thing is trash now. Will be replaced with a Raider Rack.

Last edited:

claclaclacla

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4Xe
I put 2 strips as shown here, along the entire length of the tailgate.
3M 5430 tape, Almost 2 years and counting, zero maintenance and no more squeaks!

F22E2E3D-45E0-4AF2-A3A1-4FA94F181DEF.jpeg
I also took this 3M tape, looking at the drawing I wanted to ask if the tape should be placed where the blue ends or where it is marked in yellow?

Jeep Wrangler JL PLEASE HELP! Creaking rubber at bottom of the cargo glass F22E2E3D-45E0-4AF2-A3A1-4FA94F181DEF

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I also took this 3M tape, looking at the drawing I wanted to ask if the tape should be placed where the blue ends or where it is marked in yellow?

F22E2E3D-45E0-4AF2-A3A1-4FA94F181DEF.jpeg
I think you should just run it as far to the end as possible (blue). mine just ran a bit short, but I ended up adding another piece to fill the space, haha

Last edited:

claclaclacla

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4Xe
I think you should just run it as far to the end as possible (blue). mine just ran a bit short, but I ended up adding another piece to fill the space, haha
Thanks for replying, today I installed this 3M tape, it works very well, it is easy to install and works very well, I no longer have any squeaks coming from the hardtop, now my Rubicon is really quiet, obviously as quiet as a Wrangler.... :LOL::CWL:
Sponsored