Please explain like I am a 5 year old. New Tires, Gas Mileage drop.

1. wrangster

wrangster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUS
    Liked:
    Retired and happy!
    Garage Profiles:
    That's ok but your braking will never match that of stock. We have engineers for a reason!

2. wheels082

wheels082 Member

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
    Liked:
    I put on a lift and 315 STT Pro's and lost about 5 MPG on my JLU Sport. I used a Superchips tuner to correct tire size.

3. mgroeger

mgroeger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Saharicon (The Mrs.), 2004 LJ (Me)
    Liked:
    OK, I need some advice as well.
    We just put on D44s with 4.10s in them and were already running the stock Rubi 33" tires. We used our Tazer mini to program in the new 4.10 gears and also the 33" tires. We have the 8 speed tranny.
    The first thing I noticed is that this will launch off the line like a rocket ship and you can do fun burnouts as well :)
    There are two things I am seeing on a serious note that I would value any input on.

First - I noticed that it barely stays in 1st gear and goes into 8th gear on roads that it would never have when I was running the stock 3.45 gears. With the stock Sahara gears and the 33" Rubi tires 8th gear only came in to play on open highway, 74 MPH and no touching the pedal. In other words... 8th wasn't used much. Now it's used all the time.

Second - I noticed it down shifts much harder than before. 1st and 2nd gear are not stayed in for long when speeding up but when slowing down I noticed a more aggressive down shift from 4th into 3rd, etc... The only person I know who went to D44s with 4.10s has a stick so I don't know if this is "normal" for the auto.

The Tazer allows almost any imaginable tire size to be put in... 33.1, 33.2, etc... should I play around with that to get smoother shift points?

4. iznthesky

iznthesky Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Edgar
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
    Liked:
    Driving habits aside.....the “Weight” of the rolling mass....(your wheel & tire combination) has the biggest impact on performance over almost any other modification on the vehicle. If you added 15-20 pounds to the weight of each wheel.....it significantly affects the performance. If you added double that weight (weight of an additional passenger) to the Jeep....its performance would not be as effected...compared to adding weight to the wheels.

Bigger wheels & Tires = heavier
    Heavier wheel/ tire combination requires more energy to move = less MPG

Bigger wheel / tires = GOOD LOOKING Jeep and you get more Smiles per gallon.
    I’d consider that a good trade off. Nothing is free.

wrangster, mgroeger and JLUin818 like this.
  5. mgroeger

mgroeger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Saharicon (The Mrs.), 2004 LJ (Me)
    Liked:
    ANy chance you have insight on what I posted? Thanks in advance :)