First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
This is my first Jeep and my first winch install, and after some internal debate, I went with the Warn VR EVO 10S winch mounted to the Maximus-3 winch plate, all on the factory steel bumper that came with my Rubicon. The install took me several hours this morning, and there was some cussing when the bumper didn't want to cooperate as I was putting it back on, but all in all it wasn't too bad. I'm confident that my bumper isn't going to fall off, for what that's worth. However, running the wires is a different issue, and I'm not 100% confident in my decision. Therefore, I am asking for some reviews of my wiring path to make sure I am not making a terrible mistake (ie, heat, friction, or pinching issues).

1. Coming off the back of the winch, I zip tied and ran the positive and negative cables together under the grill but above the frame:
Jeep Wrangler JL Please Check my Winch Wiring Path Warn 3

2. The cables then turn up just inside the fender liner and run along and are zip tied to a factory wire loom in the same area:
Jeep Wrangler JL Please Check my Winch Wiring Path Warn 4

3. Finally, they go over the top of the air intake and connect to the battery:
Jeep Wrangler JL Please Check my Winch Wiring Path Warn 6

Some notes and questions:
  1. I am considering wrapping the two cables in fabric tape or some other protective wrap, similar to how the factory cables are done. Bad idea? Is this even necessary?
  2. I am going to install a Warn interrupter but I haven't done that just yet. Today's install was enough for me for one day. For now I have the winch disconnected from the battery since there doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the wireless receiver on the winch itself. Am I overthinking this?
  3. I am considering going under the air intake but I wasn't comfortable enough with removing it, and my limited research didn't give me any more confidence to try. Any pointers or is how I have it fine?
  4. What the heck is the flag for? I get having "Remove Before Flight" flags on aircraft, but the winch hook?
Is this path ok for the wiring? Is there a better path I should have taken?

Here's the end result, including the Maximus-3 stinger bar:
Jeep Wrangler JL Please Check my Winch Wiring Path Warn 1

I appreciate any input anyone can give. I'd hate to burn my Jeep to the ground because I did something I didn't even realize was a bad idea.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Sorry just read that you will put a Warn interrupter in when you get time. lol Other than that looks good ...nice looking Jeep! enjoy my brother!!

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@ifonline looks like you did pretty good on the install. the main thing is to keep the wire from rubbing anywhere, were its sharp. as for the airbox. theres no problem in removing the bolt (by the fender) to run the wire between the fender and box. as for wrapping the wires in fabric wrap is not really nessecary. those cable have a thick liner on them. the flag is a safety thing for you to hold vs hook while running the line back onto the drum. it keeps your hands away from the hawse.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Thanks. I'll see about routing the cables between the air box and the fender.

the flag is a safety thing for you to hold vs hook while running the line back onto the drum. it keeps your hands away from the hawse.
Ah ha. I didn't think about that. Thanks.

OutdoorMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
This is my first Jeep and my first winch install, and after some internal debate, I went with the Warn VR EVO 10S winch mounted to the Maximus-3 winch plate, all on the factory steel bumper that came with my Rubicon. The install took me several hours this morning, and there was some cussing when the bumper didn't want to cooperate as I was putting it back on, but all in all it wasn't too bad. I'm confident that my bumper isn't going to fall off, for what that's worth. However, running the wires is a different issue, and I'm not 100% confident in my decision. Therefore, I am asking for some reviews of my wiring path to make sure I am not making a terrible mistake (ie, heat, friction, or pinching issues).

1. Coming off the back of the winch, I zip tied and ran the positive and negative cables together under the grill but above the frame:

2. The cables then turn up just inside the fender liner and run along and are zip tied to a factory wire loom in the same area:

3. Finally, they go over the top of the air intake and connect to the battery:

Some notes and questions:
  1. I am considering wrapping the two cables in fabric tape or some other protective wrap, similar to how the factory cables are done. Bad idea? Is this even necessary?
  2. I am going to install a Warn interrupter but I haven't done that just yet. Today's install was enough for me for one day. For now I have the winch disconnected from the battery since there doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the wireless receiver on the winch itself. Am I overthinking this?
  3. I am considering going under the air intake but I wasn't comfortable enough with removing it, and my limited research didn't give me any more confidence to try. Any pointers or is how I have it fine?
  4. What the heck is the flag for? I get having "Remove Before Flight" flags on aircraft, but the winch hook?
Is this path ok for the wiring? Is there a better path I should have taken?

Here's the end result, including the Maximus-3 stinger bar:

I appreciate any input anyone can give. I'd hate to burn my Jeep to the ground because I did something I didn't even realize was a bad idea.

Thanks.
I really appreciate you posting this as I just got my Jeep JLUR this past Friday and wanted something just like this, so you saved me a ton of research.
I have a question though.. Can you just wire the winch power (likely the ground return or control wire Im guessing) to one of the Aux button wires by the battery to turn on/off the power to the winch instead of using a power interrupter or just leaving it powered up?
Im new to this so maybe this is a dumb question, but isn't that what the AUX buttons next to sway bar disconnect were for.

Thanks again for posting the photos and info, very helpful.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Can you just wire the winch power (likely the ground return or control wire Im guessing) to one of the Aux button wires by the battery to turn on/off the power to the winch instead of using a power interrupter or just leaving it powered up?
I believe the amperage required for the winch, especially at full load, far exceeds both the aux switch and the aux switch wiring. The best you could hope for is a blown fuse if you direct wire the winch to an aux switch, which I’m not even sure how your would do given the massive difference in wire gauge between the aux wiring and the winch cables.

I believe your two options are direct wire to the battery or direct wire to the battery via an interrupter.

I installed the Warn interrupter yesterday so that positive from the battery goes to the interrupter and then on to the winch, and negative from the winch goes direct to the battery. I wired the Aux 1 switch to the interrupter and then on to a negative post in the engine bay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Please Check my Winch Wiring Path B967719D-7337-45D1-AF28-D5E9638A790F

The last step for me will be to wrap the cables in wire loom tape to clean everything up, which I will probably do this weekend.

Last edited:

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I installed the same winch/plate combo, but routed the wires under the airbox. It was a pain to get the airbox out, but it was a cleaner install, and the wires are not in the way when you change the air filter.
Should be fine the way you did it though.

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Why the interrupter? How much current draw is there from the winch just sitting there?

I don’t want to use one of my four precious AUX switches to turn my winch on and off, when I expect to rarely use my winch.

I also have a Warn EVO 10S and ran the wiring the same way. There was enough wiring to go around the air box not over it to get to the battery posts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I installed the same winch/plate combo, but routed the wires under the airbox.
There was enough wiring to go around the air box not over it to get to the battery posts.
I plan on going under the air box when I clean up the wiring this weekend. I didn’t want to get too committed or complex on my attempt as I was still working through whether or not the path I chose was a good one.

Why the interrupter? How much current draw is there from the winch just sitting there?
I don’t know how much draw this winch has at idle, but for me it’s less about that and more about not having a live set of heavy gauge cables at the very front of the vehicle. Basically, peace of mind.

OutdoorMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I believe the amperage required for the winch, especially at full load, far exceeds both the aux switch and the aux switch wiring. The best you could hope for is a blown fuse if you direct wire the winch to an aux switch, which I’m not even sure how your would do given the massive difference in wire gauge between the aux wiring and the winch cables.

I believe your two options are direct wire to the battery or direct wire to the battery via an interrupter.

I installed the Warn interrupter yesterday so that positive from the battery goes to the interrupter and then on to the winch, and negative from the winch goes direct to the battery. I wired the Aux 1 switch to the interrupter and then on to a negative post in the engine bay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Please Check my Winch Wiring Path B967719D-7337-45D1-AF28-D5E9638A790F

The last step for me will be to wrap the cables in wire loom tape to clean everything up, which I will probably do this weekend.
Understood makes sense. That’s why I figured it might hook up vs the return or some control wire. I’m not too familiar with the wiring of a winch yet.
It seems the interrupter does exactly what’s needed, allows the power to be switched and attached to the aux switches.

I suppose it’s either that or a blade switch at the battery I guess.

I learned something new again today. Thanks again for the info saves me a ton of time looking it up.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I like to cover the positive cable in plastic "split loom" available at any auto parts store. You don't need to worry about the ground cable.

Two Aux buttons could be wired to replace the hand held controller, but you still want to keep a hand held remote or respooling the winch becomes a two person operation.
Sponsored