Sponsored

Plastic wonder material or metal covered with plastic?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I am wondering what my JL series factory OEM spare tire mount is made of; Is it space age plastic through and through, or is the plastic covering an old fashioned metal skeleton structure?

The pebble texture surface looks like sand cast aluminum, but it feels like a big chunk of plastic when I tap on it.

Thank you.
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
A "high quality" plastic............what ever that is.
obviously the opposite of a low quality plastic...

But if that language is in the Jeep literature, somebody was sleeping during their marketing 101 class.

"space age polymer" or "technologically advanced composite" are the more cromulent terms.

"Jeep embiggens the adventurer in all of us"

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I guess the plastic is light in weight and that it is a good thing.

Thank you for the info.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If it makes you feel good, most modern vehicles, I know I work at a tier 3 supplier, are about 50 percent "high quality" plastic. Sad thing is the percentage may be more. When I was a kind I wouldn't even buy a toy made out of plastic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was mainly just curious about the material. I finally pulled my spare off to see what was going on back there in front of it. I had previously imagined it was a big sturdy metal casting, but then I observed that it felt like a molded plastic form.

I can appreciate the that extra weight of metal, if it is not actually necessary, is just extra weight, and as long as the mount Jeep provided is strong enough to not break I do not think I have an opinion of what material I would prefer.

Thank you!

Last edited: