Plastic rubicon bumper with skid plate on sport

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
I bought a plastic rubicon bumper for my sport. The bumper is installed, and I'm waiting on brackets to put in the fog lights. The issue i am having is trying to mount the metal skid plate. I'm not sure if parts are missing or what but i can't figure it out. Anyone have experience removing or installing one?

20200101_140124.jpg
Sponsored

MxEffrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Interesting. My 2018 JLUR plastic bumper came with a plastic air dam, not a metal skid.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I bought a plastic rubicon bumper for my sport. The bumper is installed, and I'm waiting on brackets to put in the fog lights. The issue i am having is trying to mount the metal skid plate. I'm not sure if parts are missing or what but i can't figure it out. Anyone have experience removing or installing one?

20200101_140124.jpg
did you install the rubi bumper yourself?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My plastic Rubi front bumper came with a plastic skid plate. The metal one I switched to required brackets if I recall correctly. Look up a diagram of the metal skid on a mopar site and see if you see the two brackets. They were cheap. I think Quadratec may carry them.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar 68353836AA Passenger Side Front Bumper Skid Plate Bracket for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper

Mopar 68353837AA Driver Side Front Bumper Skid Plate Bracket for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper
This is from Quadratec . $10 each. May require special flag nuts.

OP
OP
Stlrfan152

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar 68353836AA Passenger Side Front Bumper Skid Plate Bracket for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper

Mopar 68353837AA Driver Side Front Bumper Skid Plate Bracket for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper
This is from Quadratec . $10 each. May require special flag nuts.
Thanks for the info. I think those brackets are what i have, they just dont seem to line up with the holes on the jeep.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yea. Sorry I just looked at your picture again and see them. Did you look at the diagram and make sure they are flipped and rotated into the correct position? That diagram shows the frame holes too I would think. I found that happened to me at first. Hard to believe the frame would be different.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

20200101_140124.jpg
That looks like Gladiator steel skid

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My plastic Rubi bumper did not come with a metal skid plate. Maybe there are no factory brackets to mount one?

Sponsored

Eburkland24

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic rubicon bumper with skid plate on sport 20200101_140124
I realize as I am typing that this is a year old now, but I am hoping you might remember. I am about to do the same thing as you and was wondering what brackets you ordered. I have read the fog lights mount different and I would need new brackets but I am just not finding them anywhere. Thanks

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I recently looked into this. I have a 2020 Rubicon and I never found a steel skid plate to go with plastic stock bumper. I have found several bull bars that have a skid plate that you could attach and get some protection. I believe you have to cut some plastic to get these bars to fit.

OP
OP
Stlrfan152

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I realize as I am typing that this is a year old now, but I am hoping you might remember. I am about to do the same thing as you and was wondering what brackets you ordered. I have read the fog lights mount different and I would need new brackets but I am just not finding them anywhere. Thanks
Sorry i missed the part where you said the fog light brackets. The sport has 3 holes on the bracket that holds them, you need to order one with 4. I ordered ones from EAG on amazon they were cheap. I believe if you are putting on a steel rubicon bumper it might be different fog light mounts than the other two bumpers

OP
OP
Stlrfan152

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently looked into this. I have a 2020 Rubicon and I never found a steel skid plate to go with plastic stock bumper. I have found several bull bars that have a skid plate that you could attach and get some protection. I believe you have to cut some plastic to get these bars to fit.
The one i took a picture of is a factory steel one and its an option for the rubicons(might only be gladiators but still works on wranglers) with steel or plastic bumpers. The link i posted above has all the part numbers to buy one online.
Sponsored