Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m wondering if anyone has had a problem with departure angle tearing off the plastic license plate bracket off the OEM JLU Rubicon Steel Bumper?

It appears the lower flange of the plastic will be the first to catch a rock on the departure angle, this looks to be the flange from toe hook to driver side end bumper.

45E98512-9A2D-4F9F-87C3-A31165D0594E.jpeg

I’m contemplating removing the section of trim plastic to alleviate tearing my license plate off when exceeding departure angle. This would expose factory steel instead of plastic over steel.

17953118-817F-4BFE-929E-AD7C32B7E3D2.png

I’m also thinking of adding some pop rivets into the lower section of the plastic to help hold the OE plastic tabs in place -or- possibly adding some self tapping machine screws into the bottom two license plate holes to allow for a sandwich design thus securing the plate and plastic together.

Give me some feedback and if the group thinks it’s necessary, I’ll start working on mine and provide what detail modification to what could be a potential problem. I think I can make this modification aesthetically pleasing as well. Or maybe I missed a post when searching. However, I’m not ready to throw away a new steel bumper for a possible simple fix.

092E8DAE-6664-4100-BC43-ECE904AB90AC.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a good idea...I just found out this week that the part is not very strong....after I backed into a pole:facepalm:

FF71DEBD-87B6-4A8C-9077-6CF96E88DED5.jpeg
Bummer! I wish I could question the Jeep engineers and cost control folks about this decision (I’m assuming is has something to do with international distribution? But an assumption). nevertheless, I’m sure the aftermarket Bumper folks love the OEM design.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Check out Litebrites early videos. It'll provide plenty of examples of how to rip it off. Also, a warning that it doesn't take too hard of a hit before the bumper ends flex up and into the rear corners of the body

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Check out Litebrites early videos. It'll provide plenty of examples of how to rip it off. Also, a warning that it doesn't take too hard of a hit before the bumper ends flex up and into the rear corners of the body
Im pulling the bumper off Tuesday... From what I can tell, the rear corner might have a small scratch....does not appear dented....but cant tell for sure. Sure did a lot of damage from what seemed like a minor bump.... I know safety standards require some give, but that’s not much of a metal bumper IMHO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Bought #12 X 3/4”L Machine Screws for the lower two license plate holes. Drilled and affixed the license plate and plastic to the steel bumper. This should secure the plastic a bit more.

It’s 108degF in Vegas, so I’ll venture back out soon to cut the bottom plastic lip off (see pics above) when it cools down a bit and post later.

Also, pics won’t be perfect as I’m trying to keep my license plate out of the photos.

E1F8DD1B-1F9F-46A2-8EE3-6398FFB48DE7.jpeg

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input.

I’ve watched the videos: IMO they are also heavy on the accelerator aggression in the rocks and bulldoze lines instead of methodically crawling through them.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like a good idea...I don’t see this design holding up to anything remotely challenging.... I look forward to seeing your completed pictures..

Reactions: BHo

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've taken hits on the tow hook, which has much of the paint scraped off the bottom. So far, it's kept the plastic license plate frame from damage. No rock crawling, but I've been in and out of numerous steep gullies and backed into berms, sand and other stuff.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For that reason alone I would like a tow hook on the right side also but mopar does not make one for the jl. My Hard Rock jk had one and it saved my bumper numerous times...

Sponsored

OP
OP
BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For that reason alone I would like a tow hook on the right side also but mopar does not make one for the jl. My Hard Rock jk had one and it saved my bumper numerous times...
Thanks for the input.

This should stop peeling off the license plate and trim plastic on departure angle only.

I’ve seen a lost license plate and trim plastic in my Jeep club already; the pic above w/o plastic and plate is NOT my Jeep, it’s the result of departure angle tearing off a club members. My only intent is to mitigate a lost license plate on the trail.

Hope this clarifies what I’m attempting to accomplish.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it...I’m going to do the same. Picked up my repaired Jeep yesterday...everything came out fine although I elected not to fully repair a 2” scratch/small indent where the bumper hit the tub. Too much money for something barely noticeable. I also spent $300 to have the shop install my Artec belly skids. The shop has a lift, I don’t...
Sponsored

Reactions: BHo