TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Over the weekend my plates arrived and were installed in the factory plastic bumpers. The rear plate is mounted by 2 large screws into the plastic and already had the dealer frame installed. When I removed the screws I was somewhat dismayed that the screws only go through holes in the thin plastic bumper cover (no clips, bolts, or other hardware behind the plastic cover). One of the screws had already been stripped by the dealer and just rotates in the hole. There does appear to be some access to the rear of the screw through the bumper so I'm hoping to add a nut/bolt once I get my personalized plates. I'd seen many complaints about the holder in the steel bumpers... but at least those HAVE a holder. This is just screws through plastic.

The front is another mess. I had to install the bracket (dealer had it loose) and again is secured to the front plastic bumper by 4 small screws through the plastic cover only. Knowing how easy that would strip I was VERY careful but at least one of the screws already stripped through the thin plastic. Then the plate is secured with 2 small 3/8" long self tapping screws into the plastic holder.

EVERY other vehicle I've owned was designed to actually keep the plates on the vehicle. I'm not entirely sure these will survive the first car wash... let alone the life of the vehicle. Granted they probably figure the plastic bumpers will be replaced sooner or later... but c'mon. At least provide some metal clips or ANYTHING better than self tapping screws through thin plastic.

Anyone else had similar problems? Maybe I shouldn't have used the breaker bar to tighten the screws (j/k).
Sponsored

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
It’s a jeep thing. Apparently their margins are so slim the can not afford .99 for license plate anchors.

Of course the real problem is people in insignificant states with backward laws that require front plates. (That was satire. But jeep appears to care less about customers obeying local laws)

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Be careful not to be critical of your jeep. There are people that think it is perfectly made. But I would get something with a nut on the end.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It’s a jeep thing. Apparently their margins are so slim the can not afford .99 for license plate anchors.

Of course the real problem is people in insignificant states with backward laws that require front plates. (That was satire. But jeep appears to care less about customers obeying local laws)
My front plate is sitting in my door. And yes, having a front plate totally sucks.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
#10 1 inch stainless screws for the rear. Speed nuts for the front.
Sponsored