Sponsored

Plasti dipping Sahara silver accents

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
Hey guys,

I'm looking to Plasti dip all the silver accents on the Sahara, notably the inserts in the grill and the silver inserts in the front bumper.

Does anyone know how to remove these from the grill and the bumper? I don't have my car yet, so I'm just curious about the execution once the car comes

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Plasti dip looks OK on wheels but eventually pits and peels. If you take the time to remove the grill and bumper why not use a good quality spray paint?

OP
OP

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
You know what, not a bad idea. Probably too gung-ho to Plasti dip the rims lol

In either case, how do those components come out?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I will be doing the samething once mine arrives but I will not us plasti dip. Find some paint that Is meant to spray on plastics. Don’t forget to prep the surface.

Plasti dip is reversible so that might be a plus for you but that is why it doesn’t hold up over time and will look like crap down the road. I think the paint will look better and will last over the years. Just make sure you prep first.

If you are looking for something you can reverse later, once you take those pieces off your grill you can take them to get vinyl wrapped

Sponsored

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I plastidipped the rims of my JK, never pitted or peeled over the 2 1/2 years that I drove it. I don't take it off road, so that has a lot to do with longevity, but it holds up REALLY well when applied properly.

I also plastdipped my JEEP logo on the front without removing it, but some of the silver accents might be tough with Plastidip as it's tricky if you use tape. You have to peel off the tape while the paint is wet. Or, you have to trim along the paint before peeling back the tape.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Yeah but the texture of plasti dip never looks as good as paint.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I will be doing the samething once mine arrives but I will not us plasti dip. Find some paint that Is meant to spray on plastics. Don’t forget to prep the surface.

Plasti dip is reversible so that might be a plus for you but that is why it doesn’t hold up over time and will look like crap down the road. I think the paint will look better and will last over the years. Just make sure you prep first.

If you are looking for something you can reverse later, once you take those pieces off your grill you can take them to get vinyl wrapped
John - Whats your take on Plasti for the inside of roof panels and hard top to change color ???

Thanks in advance

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
John - Whats your take on Plasti for the inside of roof panels and hard top to change color ???

Thanks in advance
I have a thread about changing the inside top color to black when I had a hardtop for my JK. I believe it got moved to the DIY section, so I will look for it and post a link if I find it.

Anyhow, Because I know the outcome, and I loved the fished look to that hardtop after it was changed, I would 100% do it again the same way. Plasti Dip in my opinion, just doesn't look as good as paint does or in that case, bed liner. I am not a big fan of plasti dip. I don't like the finish on it, and over time it gets worse. I would not attempt to plasti dip the inside of the top but that is just me. I want to do it right the first time and plasti dip is just not right in anyway to me. It seems like I would be cutting corners or the easy way and for some it works. Some people really like it, its just not for me, but to each their own.

I would suggest for the inside of the top to use a paint that is for hard plastic so it doesn't scratch off easy, if you don't like the fine texture of bedliner that I used. The main thing is to prep your surface to get ready for paint. That is the biggest issue most people have when they do something like this. They just want to rush through it and get to the painting part and then they wonder why it didn't turn out as good. For those that like plasti dip, that is fine, its just not a product that I would use.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a thread about changing the inside top color to black when I had a hardtop for my JK. I believe it got moved to the DIY section, so I will look for it and post a link if I find it.

Anyhow, Because I know the outcome, and I loved the fished look to that hardtop after it was changed, I would 100% do it again the same way. Plasti Dip in my opinion, just doesn't look as good as paint does or in that case, bed liner. I am not a big fan of plasti dip. I don't like the finish on it, and over time it gets worse. I would not attempt to plasti dip the inside of the top but that is just me. I want to do it right the first time and plasti dip is just not right in anyway to me. It seems like I would be cutting corners or the easy way and for some it works. Some people really like it, its just not for me, but to each their own.

I would suggest for the inside of the top to use a paint that is for hard plastic so it doesn't scratch off easy, if you don't like the fine texture of bedliner that I used. The main thing is to prep your surface to get ready for paint. That is the biggest issue most people have when they do something like this. They just want to rush through it and get to the painting part and then they wonder why it didn't turn out as good. For those that like plasti dip, that is fine, its just not a product that I would use.

Thanks for your response , Ive never used it and trust your experience !!

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yeah but the texture of plasti dip never looks as good as paint.
I guess that all depends on what finish you're looking for. I finished mine off with Plastidip Glossifier, which adds a nice shiny finish and works the same way. I've painted a few sets of wheels with Plastidip and never had issues, and I personally love the finish.

I've attached a couple photos of my previous JK where I painted the wheels with plastidip and glossifier.

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0438.JPG

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Like others have commented, I will be using vinyl on the silver trim pieces on my Sahara. I'm attempting to track down the paint code of the Rubicon grille inserts so I can order a free vinyl sample (a lot of places will do this if you pay shipping) because I'm hoping the version of gray the Rubi's grills are will look awesome against the granite. TBD.

I also need to get rid of the silver trims pieces on the steering wheel asap. I haven't found someone that's removed those yet however.
Sponsored