Plasti-Dipped my 2019 Punkin' Grill

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Looks good, definitely not a fan of the lights tho. Also, you should have kept the grill surround orange to make it really pop like all Jeep concepts.

But then again, I’m a bit biased?

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
What is "plasti-dipped" and what is the advantage over spray paint?

OP
OP
AlanGJP

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe Sahara GCM
I'm not a huge fan of the Black grill, but I will say it made a huge difference in your Jeep. Looks really good.
Yeah, to each their own. I initially threw some black inserts in my orange grill, but it just didn't have the look I was after. I wanted a more aggressive front-end. Still have to swap out the bumper, but so far, I'm very happy with how this turned out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlanGJP

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good, definitely not a fan of the lights tho. Also, you should have kept the grill surround orange to make it really pop like all Jeep concepts.

OK... so... I didn't want to do anything to my stock orange grill. So this was a Sarge Green Saraha grill I found on Craigslist. Unfortunately the pieces that go under the grill -- the part you're talking about -- those are not removable on the stock Sport grill. (They are on the Sahara/Rubicon and maybe the Willys) So I couldn't just swap them after painting the Sarge one. My only option was to paint them black. I was pretty upset when I pulled the Sarge one apart and saw that my Orange one was all one piece.

So... Short of buying orange paint, I couldn't do it. (I'll probably end up doing that at some point) This was also my very first experience that didn't turn out to be a total mess with any paint that comes in a can. No clue why... but every single time I use a can of paint, things go south lol (No matter how careful I try to be) Also why I didn't do this to the stock grill.

OP
OP
AlanGJP

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It peels off. It's kind of like a wrap, but you spray it on. So if I screw up, or I don't like it, I can peel it off.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd

yo glad I saw this, good look. I'm not sure if I'll paint the grill on our sarge black yet, but I might. Being a dark green, it's not going to contrast like on some other colors.

Grill looks good @AlanGJP

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
yo glad I saw this, good look. I'm not sure if I'll paint the grill on our sarge black yet, but I might. Being a dark green, it's not going to contrast like on some other colors.

Grill looks good @AlanGJP
Oh but Sarge looks great with the satin black grill.

6C811A13-E577-4B52-9625-B9D61DAB3449.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlanGJP

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That black lip stick effect. I dunno man, the more orange the better IMO! Your Jeep, your decisions!
I tried... I really did lol. I picked up black inserts... thought they looked cheap. (The grill, not specifically the inserts) I saw it on a Willys and really liked it.

I suppose we're Jeep owners because we all like different things, right? ;)

...if it helps, I still have the stock grill. Should I ever decide to go back. ;) (OR if I destroy this one)

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I tried... I really did lol. I picked up black inserts... thought they looked cheap. (The grill, not specifically the inserts) I saw it on a Willys and really liked it.

I suppose we're Jeep owners because we all like different things, right? ;)

...if it helps, I still have the stock grill. Should I ever decide to go back. ;) (OR if I destroy this one)
Absolutely!

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
I think it looks good. I think plastidip is a great product so you try something before making it permanent . You should leave it on for a month or so and see if you still like the look. If you do, peel the plastidip off and paint the grille. Plastidip doesn't hold up well over time like paint does, and the grille will look like crap in a few months. It's also harder to remove the longer it stays on.

That said, I think matched orange headlight bezels and grille slot bezels would look really cool on the black grille.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The only advantage is that you can peel it off if you change your mind.

Other than that it’s garbage for vehicle use.
Sponsored