MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So, after one year of ownership where I've been limited to just Hidden Falls Adventure Park (have kids, they said! / stupid global pandemic...) I'm finally planning my first trek with the JLUR. I have a Friday through Tuesday open and I'm driving from Austin, TX to Colorado.

My current plan is to drive straight to Telluride, spend the night, drive Imogene Pass the next morning, then drive up to Salida to stay with family. Thinking about driving up to Pike's Peak for a day trip while I'm there.

Anyone have any suggestions, "must see/do" thoughts, cautions, etc?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So, after one year of ownership where I've been limited to just Hidden Falls Adventure Park (have kids, they said! / stupid global pandemic...) I'm finally planning my first trek with the JLUR. I have a Friday through Tuesday open and I'm driving from Austin, TX to Colorado.

My current plan is to drive straight to Telluride, spend the night, drive Imogene Pass the next morning, then drive up to Salida to stay with family. Thinking about driving up to Pike's Peak for a day trip while I'm there.

Hi Matt, sounds like a blast! If you have a couple extra hours prior to Telluride might pick up a Badge of Honor on Ophir Pass, it's an easy run but the views are pretty incredible and the aspen trees prior to the town of Ophir are awesome.
Check my thread here for some specifics. Can't wait to get back there next year!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...0-would-be-nice-to-meet-w-a-few-others.75076/

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes, keep an eye out for snow in the San Juan’s ….. there are a ton of trails over there and others who know more than me can opine. Over by Silverton there are some great trails too. Absolutely drive the million dollar highway between Silverton and Ouray.

One idea for you: rather than doing pikes peak, consider doing Mount Evans …. ‘Highest paved round in North America”…... 14.1k feet. neat place. Be prepared for blustery winds at the top (even if calm below) and a significant temp drop ……. This time of year be prepared for shoulder season weather changes too. You need a reservation ….. google it….. not sure when the road closes for the season.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer

I will recommend you wait and go next summer... so I can go with you! :D Also, I think you should hike Pikes Peak. I did it about 4 years ago and it's awesome. You hike the Barr trail and stay half way up at Barr Camp. It's like $30 for the night and it's a hostel type environment. They'll make you spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner along with pancakes in the morning. People are usually reading or playing board games there at night. They have a nice creek that runs through the camp where you can fill up your water (make sure to have a filter) and continue on your trek to the summit! I'm planning on doing the hike again next summer. I think they closed it down this past year to celebrate the rona dayz holiday or whatever.

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S

Mount Evans is over 14k feet and has the highest elevated paved road in North America. Rocky Mountain national park is just a ways north of that, also.
Sponsored