First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent
Need a little help. We and a few friends are currently planning a trip to Moab. We live in Oregon so it is about a 16 hour drive and want to make the most of it. Number one question is how long should we plan on being there? Anything that is a must do while there? Anything we should do on the way there? Any advise is much appreciated!

Thanks
Travis
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
We live in Oregon so it is about a 16 hour drive
;)A 16 hour drive!

Travis, book Continental first class out of Portland and stay at the Gateway Canyons Resort.

Ask for Ricky: the best masseuse there for a poolside rub down.

What: you're one of those Wrangler owners and want to do the trails there?! Please!;)

Watchthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
We’re planning on Moab this year too and gonna do 5 days there cause it a 24 hour drive for us.
Then we’re going to do about 5 days in Colorado and then on to the Badlands for 5 days.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
;)A 16 hour drive!

Travis, book Continental first class out of Portland and stay at the Gateway Canyons Resort.

Ask for Ricky: the best masseuse there for a poolside rub down.

What: you're one of those Wrangler owners and want to do the trails there?! Please!;)
Always got to be one dip shit per thread!

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
We’re planning on Moab this year too and gonna do 5 days there cause it a 24 hour drive for us.
Then we’re going to do about 5 days in Colorado and then on to the Badlands for 5 days.
That sounds like a fun trip. We were thinking 4 to 5 days there and maybe trying to find something on the way back home. Just wanted to make sure that 4 to 5 days was enough time since no one in my group has been there before.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Two weeks

That's my kind of trip!!!

If I were going for 2 weeks and had never been before I'd do all the highlight trails like Sean K said. I've never been afraid to be a trail tourist. Some days we take it easy. Other days we go all out.

Must do trails on my list.

Fins and Things to Hell's Revenge
Top Of The World
Moab Rim
Kane Creek
Long Canyon
Cliffhanger
Poison Spyder - Gold Bar Rim - Out on Gemini Bridges.
Elephant Hill out to the Needles district and Confluence overlook.
We really enjoyed doing the Shafer switchbacks and out on Potash road. We ate lunch on the edge of the cliff overlooking the river with Chicken Corner in the back drop.
We did Hidden Canyon and 3D when it was covered in snow. Pretty easy but very scenic.
If you want a change of pace you can do the LaSal pass and Geyser pass. Geyser pass is sketchy if there is snow.
I'd take a day and go out into Arches National Park.

The chicken fried steak at The Branding Iron was great.
Moab Brewery was good.
Zak's was fantastic.
If you can eat at Sunset Grill and watch the sunset it is very awesome. The food is good. The service is slow and it is expensive. But the view was on point.
Breakfast at Moab Diner.

Buy the Moab Trails book.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-B...d=1548170933&sprefix=moab+trai,aps,166&sr=8-1

You can read through the book and find trails that seem interesting to you. Then spend weeks on Youtube watching the whole trail to see if it is something you're interested in.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon

If I were going for 2 weeks and had never been before I'd do all the highlight trails like Sean K said. I've never been afraid to be a trail tourist. Some days we take it easy. Other days we go all out.

Top Of The World
Moab Rim
Kane Creek
Long Canyon
Cliffhanger
We really enjoyed doing the Shafer switchbacks and out on Potash road. We ate lunch on the edge of the cliff overlooking the river with Chicken Corner in the back drop.
We did Hidden Canyon and 3D when it was covered in snow. Pretty easy but very scenic.
If you want a change of pace you can do the LaSal pass and Geyser pass. Geyser pass is sketchy if there is snow.

Moab Brewery was good.
Zak's was fantastic.
If you can eat at Sunset Grill and watch the sunset it is very awesome. The food is good. The service is slow and it is expensive. But the view was on point.
Breakfast at Moab Diner.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=UXMD58R39CL9&keywords=moab+trail+book&qid=1548170933&sprefix=moab+trai,aps,166&sr=8-1

You can read through the book and find trails that seem interesting to you. Then spend weeks on Youtube watching the whole trail to see if it is something you're interested in.
+1 on the Moab Trails book, I just bought it as suggested on these forums and it looks very good. As a Jeep noob due to be in Moab after the big safari, my interest is more about scenic off-road trails with just enough challenge to help me get some learning experience as opposed to taking on the biggest and baddest. And Dookey was spot-on, of course, about the videos. I was going to take on Elephant Hill, but looking at the video made me think "maybe next year", especially since I'll be solo.

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Probably all depends on what trails you want to hit.

Some of them are super long, all day events and that limits the number of trails you'll do in one day.

Are there certain iconic obstacles you want to run or specific trails that are "notch on the belt" type runs you want to do?
Do you want mostly scenic (and usually longer) runs? Do you want two spend a day or to in Arches National Park?

I'd plan a minimum of 5 days there if possible.

If you've never been, IMO, you have to do Hell's Revenge since it's easy aside from the optional obstacles of Hell's Gate, Escalator, Mickey's Hot Tub and the Devil's Highway Hot Tub. It's basically a roller coaster ride for adults and it's a great introduction to what slick rock is all about.

Fins 'N Things is easier and similar if you think Hell's Revenge will be too hard.

Pritchett is probably one of the hardest trails outside Area BFE.

Moab Rim scares a lot of people but really has very few actual obstacles, but the view is great.

Poison Spider Mesa and Golden Spike are a LONG day but there are a lot of iconic obstacles from Golden Crack to the Launch Pad, Skyline Drive, etc.

Behind the Rocks is a lot of driving for a few obstacles IMO...as is Metal Masher.

Oh, and while you're at Hell's Revenge, might as well go down to Potato Salad Hill (sad that Dump Bump and Lion's Back are closed now....they were must-dos back in the day, IMO).
Thanks a lot, great info! I wish I would have gone when Lions back was still open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation

Top Of The World
Moab Rim
Kane Creek
Long Canyon
Cliffhanger

Moab Brewery was good.
Zak's was fantastic.
Breakfast at Moab Diner.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=UXMD58R39CL9&keywords=moab+trail+book&qid=1548170933&sprefix=moab+trai,aps,166&sr=8-1

Thanks for the info and the link to the trail book, just ordered it.

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
+1 on the Moab Trails book, I just bought it as suggested on these forums and it looks very good. As a Jeep noob due to be in Moab after the big safari, my interest is more about scenic off-road trails with just enough challenge to help me get some learning experience as opposed to taking on the biggest and baddest. And Dookey was spot-on, of course, about the videos. I was going to take on Elephant Hill, but looking at the video made me think "maybe next year", especially since I'll be solo.
I am also new to this. Hopefully can build up some skill before the trip. I know I built a Jeep that can do way more then the driver.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Thanks for the info and the link to the trail book, just ordered it.
It is very helpful. It has GPS coordinates for everything. So you can easily punch it into the dash to get where you're going. It will even point out stuff you might have missed otherwise. It rates the trails from easy to extreme.

I am also new to this. Hopefully can build up some skill before the trip. I know I built a Jeep that can do way more then the driver.
That's how I like it. Keeps you safe-ish. Just remember that if you don't feel confident doing something simply don't do it. :)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Always got to be one dip shit per thread!
A Dip s_it connotes (i.e. implies) that they lie at the intersection of stupid and obnoxious.

I'm well aware, as a Wrangler owner, visiting of all places Moab, UT, not Disneyland (not that the latter doesn't have its time and place,) that your driving there is part of both the journey and destination. I get with utter clarity that tackling the roads there, with your rig, which itself is predicated on you getting your rig there, is more the substance of this trip than where you stay or what you do when you're in or about Moab, but not tacking these adventures.

My comments were satire. See the emoticons? They were there to elicit a laugh. And in no way did they preclude others more knowledgeable in this subject space from offering their on point commentary or were they meant as disrespect.

You may not simply be taking a vacation: you may need one. Enjoy your journeys safely.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
We're on the same path and based on the booming sales of Jeeps, there are many others new to it all, but very interested. When are you going to Moab? Maybe some of the experienced folks can also share their thoughts on scenic and/or easier trails. Even with the book, it's great to hear firsthand stories and opinions.
Sponsored