Sponsored

Planning a trip back from Arkansas to Socal at the end of the month. Passing through CO/UT - wheeling worth it this time of year?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
So I've been on location for work in SW Arkansas the last three, going on four months and I'm starting to plan my drive back to the SoCal area around the end of this month. I brought the JLR out here with me so on my way back I was thinking of making a bit of a trip out of it and passing through CO and UT. I've never been, but I'm assuming all of the amazing trails in Ouray and the surrounding area are well out-of-season at the moment?

What would you all suggest in terms of hitting some scenic and fun wheeling out this way during this time of year, or should we just come back late spring/summer? I figure Moab is still a good bet but is there some fun to be had in CO as well in the wintertime? I plan on probably grabbing cabins here and there and utilizing the camping gear where possible, and heading out through Hurricane / Zion area to finally return to socal on the tail end.

Here's the rig in the woods of arkansas - plenty capable for most anything we'll encounter, but will be with the girlfriend and our small dog (and all of our stuff packed in) so we'll see how much that limits us.
Jeep Wrangler JL Planning a trip back from Arkansas to Socal at the end of the month. Passing through CO/UT - wheeling worth it this time of year? IMG_1914 2.JPG
Sponsored

kelvinator

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I live in central Colorado, and it's snow-packed from 8,000 ft. and above. You have the right rig, but you'll be limited. Trails across the Divide are closed, and the gates over many forest service roads won't open until April or later. Seek lower elevation say 6,000 feet and below maybe? There's still fun to be had especially if you favor a winter hike or enjoying incredible mountain views or snow wheeling. If you might come back in late spring/summer, consider late summer/fall instead. That's the best time for wheeling high-altitude trails. The passes most likely won't open until July. Have a great trip.