Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Just had an epiphany... fortunately for everyone I was alone at the time. The southern route we were planning to take home is actually very close to Route 66, or at least what used to be Route 66. It will add a few hours of drive time overall, but I think it's worth it. We can catch it heading south from the South Rim to Flagstaff and then pick it up along I-40 going east: Winslow, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Tulsa... at least to Joplin where we'll have to part company. That might be fun.

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
RT66 does run along I-40 and a good part of I-40 is the old RT66. There are tons of old gas stations and old trading post along that route. Stop and get a picture of the Twin Arrows trading post which has deteriorated so bad and don't know how much longer it will be there. Easily identified by the two giant Arrows along I-40. There is the jack rabbit trading post which is still operational. The yellow horse trading post near the border of AZ and NM on I-40.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As posted above I highly recommend the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
Less people for sure and an expansive trail system to explore. You will be in the Kibab national forest as opposed to the south rim which is the “desert” side.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
If you do manage to give Winslow, AZ and Meteor Crater a look, I highly recommend going a bit more east to Petrified Forest National Park starting at the south entrance and make your way back to the interstate. Lots of walking/hiking trails that aren't too hard on your legs with some that take you down into old canyons.

These are from when I went there back in 2018 when I was living in the Las Vegas area

20180804_171139a - Copy.jpg

20180804_171401 - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If you do manage to give Winslow, AZ and Meteor Crater a look, I highly recommend going a bit more east to Petrified Forest National Park starting at the south entrance and make your way back to the interstate. Lots of walking/hiking trails that aren't too hard on your legs with some that take you down into old canyons.

These are from when I went there back in 2018 when I was living in the Las Vegas area

20180804_171139a - Copy.jpg

20180804_171401 - Copy.jpg
I appreciate it and it looks fantastic. My wife, though, is recovering from breast cancer and the neuropathy means that hikes aren't really an option.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Jeep is great to get to the back side of devils tower. There's a bunch of alien things going on there. Documentary covered that back in 1977. Just remember, you might become obsessed with mashed potatoes and trying to recreate that tower.

I took my bone stock Jeep and off roaded it in Moab. Found out I was probably the only person there with a stock Jeep. I didn't die and my Jeep survived.

I've flat towed my Jeep with my Class C RV to laces that most people here would never take their Jeep. Call me adventureous or stupid. I like to go with the latter.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jeep is great to get to the back side of devils tower. There's a bunch of alien things going on there. Documentary covered that back in 1977. Just remember, you might become obsessed with mashed potatoes and trying to recreate that tower.

I took my bone stock Jeep and off roaded it in Moab. Found out I was probably the only person there with a stock Jeep. I didn't die and my Jeep survived.

I've flat towed my Jeep with my Class C RV to laces that most people here would never take their Jeep. Call me adventureous or stupid. I like to go with the latter.
We did Devil's Tower last summer with the Renegade on our way to Yellowstone. We didn't actually go into the park at Devil's Tower, but it's so damn big your don't really need to.
IMG_0629.jpeg

But we had to make a stop at least because Close Encounters was one of my favorite movies growing up.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Based on your itinerary I would add a loop south from Flagstaff down into Sedona on the 89A when you leave the Grand Canyon. You would end up on the 17, head north and then east on the 40 back on the route you penciled out. Would add a few hours but worth it. And if you were in the mood you could hit Schnebly Hill Road which is an easy Badge of Honor Trail.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Based on your itinerary I would add a loop south from Flagstaff down into Sedona on the 89A when you leave the Grand Canyon. You would end up on the 17, head north and then east on the 40 back on the route you penciled out. Would add a few hours but worth it. And if you were in the mood you could hit Schnebly Hill Road which is an easy Badge of Honor Trail.
Hmm. I'll check it out. Thanks.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I appreciate it and it looks fantastic. My wife, though, is recovering from breast cancer and the neuropathy means that hikes aren't really an option.
I'm hoping to revisit that area next year (much longer road trip now though 😅)

Best wishes for your wife during her recovery! 💪

AccuAir Banner 2