Planning a Road Trip Southwest...

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I just purchased almost all of these maps found here: https://touratech-usa.com/Backcountry-Discovery-Routes/Maps

I plan on using them next year on my epic road trip. I actually plan on duplicating the trip you did last year: Badlands in South Dakota then Mt. Rushmore (my old college swim coach has a working farm with cabins 5 minutes from there so plan on stopping in for a visit) then on to Yellowstone. But then up to Glacier National Park then over to Idaho and take the Idaho BDR down to Utah.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
After our road trip last year, we came back with so many souvenir t-shirts that we talked about taking our next trip and packing only the shirts we were wearing at the start. After that we'd have to buy a souvenir shirt each day somewhere if we wanted/needed a change of clothes.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just purchased almost all of these maps found here: https://touratech-usa.com/Backcountry-Discovery-Routes/Maps

I plan on using them next year on my epic road trip. I actually plan on duplicating the trip you did last year: Badlands in South Dakota then Mt. Rushmore (my old college swim coach has a working farm with cabins 5 minutes from there so plan on stopping in for a visit) then on to Yellowstone. But then up to Glacier National Park then over to Idaho and take the Idaho BDR down to Utah.
It is a beautiful trip. I had heard before that Rushmore was small and underwhelming in person, but we thought it was fantastic. Driving back to the hotel that night, there is a curve you go around and suddenly see the profile of George Washington lit up and glowing white. I damn near wrecked the car. :)

Hopefully the roads in Yellowstone will be repaired by the time you go next year. Recently flooding was pretty devastating there.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

We ran part of the MABDR last year and it was pretty cool. IIRC it was logged into all trails so that may be a good resource for trip planning.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I haven’t gotten to take trails in the area but if you’re in or around Kanab, you HAVE to go to Sego Restaurant and experience that food. It doesn’t look overly fancy but the food is “elevated”. The best food experience ever. We basically tried a few things from appetizers to the dessert. Spot on. Different without being weird. Tasted great. Ask for a Sugarhouse Bourbon and Coke! It was better than Hell’s Kitchen in Las Vegas.

If we are nearby again, we’ll go out of the way to eat there again.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The drive from Durango north up 550 thru Silverton, Ouray, etc., is spectacular. I haven't made that trip in many decades, but it still is a great memory. One of the great natural wonders.

If you have the time for a big detour, Jackson Hole/Grand Teton N.P. is the prettiest place in the lower 48, IMO.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The drive from Durango north up 550 thru Silverton, Ouray, etc., is spectacular. I haven't made that trip in many decades, but it still is a great memory. One of the great natural wonders.

If you have the time for a big detour, Jackson Hole/Grand Teton N.P. is the prettiest place in the lower 48, IMO.
We drove there last year. It was fantastic.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We've officially tossed our caps over the wall...

Went online last night and booked a few hotel stays for our trip and fleshed out a basic itinerary. Here's the plan for early June next year:

Day 1: Drive from home and try to get west of Denver before the end of the day... find a hotel somewhere along the route. Breckenridge maybe?

Day 2: Continue west from Denver. If time allows we may swing in to Arches National Park since it looks like our route goes right by it. Then, on to Monument Valley where we'll stay the night at one of the cabins at The View in Monument Valley. Hoping to get there in time to snap a few photos of sunset (which now guarantees it will be overcast) :)

Day 3: Catch the sunrise. Drive the 17 mile Monument Valley route, then head on to the Grand Canyon. Stopping at places of interest along the way. That night we'll be staying at Kachina Lodge on the Southern Rim for two nights.

Day 4: Explore around the Canyon. I've seen a few sites that show there are trails that allow you to descend into the canyon itself down to the river. Hoping to maybe drive one of those if that’s possible. Night at the Kachina again.

Day 5: Start heading home. We'll swing south and stop in Albuquerque for the night. Hoping to take the Sandia Tram ride up into the mountains. Hotel somewhere nearby.

Day 6: Leave Albuquerque and make it somewhere in Kansas for the night. Dodge City maybe or Wichita.

Day 7: The final leg of the drive home again.

That's going to be a lot of driving for one week. Looking at the map I see a lot of empty, lonely road once you get west of Denver. Are gas stations fairly plentiful? I plan to keep the tank topped off where I can just in case.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
AFAIK, there aren't any roads to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in or around the park. However, a couple hours west of the south rim village, over to Peach Springs, you can drive to the Colorado river. It's not 5000 feet deep at that point.

The trails in the park that descend to the river are foot/burro trails.

https://www.advantagegrandcanyon.com/grand-canyon-bottom/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
AFAIK, there aren't any roads to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in or around the park. However, a couple hours west of the south rim village, over to Peach Springs, you can drive to the Colorado river. It's not 5000 feet deep at that point.

https://www.advantagegrandcanyon.com/grand-canyon-bottom/
Excellent thanks. I just saw photos of Jeeps parked along the Colorado but I didn't know where the access point was. Sounds like a good destination for our full day there.

Shanwowsd

First Name
shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

those maps look pretty cool. I was looking at these guidebooks and wonder how they compare? https://funtreks.com/product-category/guidebooks/. I was just looking at buying the books but those maps are half the price. hmmm.

My Son and I picked up my new jeep at granger's in Iowa and made that trip through SD to see badlands, rushmore and went on to yellowstone. Devils tower is between rushmore and yellowstone and cool to see as well. there are also some nice hiking trails around the area. We went early June and everything was super green. Apparently we left yellowstone right before all the flooding. driving towards Utah we could see all the creeks were really running high.

that's a cool road trip and I wish we had enough time to go to glacier. Your trip will be pretty cool.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
those maps look pretty cool. I was looking at these guidebooks and wonder how they compare? https://funtreks.com/product-category/guidebooks/. I was just looking at buying the books but those maps are half the price. hmmm.

My Son and I picked up my new jeep at granger's in Iowa and made that trip through SD to see badlands, rushmore and went on to yellowstone. Devils tower is between rushmore and yellowstone and cool to see as well. there are also some nice hiking trails around the area. We went early June and everything was super green. Apparently we left yellowstone right before all the flooding. driving towards Utah we could see all the creeks were really running high.

that's a cool road trip and I wish we had enough time to go to glacier. Your trip will be pretty cool.
Fun treks has maps only for less money.

I’d assume the BDR Maps are of the route itself. They basically link as many gravel/two tracks as they can along a long route.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
On your way in to Monument Valley, I believe its between mile marker 11 and 13 you will come across Forrest Gump Point. Make sure you stop for a photo.

Forrest gump.jpg

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
On your way in to Monument Valley, I believe its between mile marker 11 and 13 you will come across Forrest Gump Point. Make sure you stop for a photo.

Jeep Wrangler JL Planning a Road Trip Southwest... Forrest gum
I will definitely keep an eye out for that. Love that movie.
Sponsored