Sponsored

Placed my order on 11/27 - What you can expect.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Here is my summary of my Jeep factory order experience:

No one in the Austin area wanted to work with me on a factory order. They all played lip service, but no one was really interested in committing to an order below factory invoice.

After doing some research on this forum I found a few dealerships that others recommended, and I downloaded the latest factory code guide. Once I had my code guide I made a spreadsheet to play around with all the available options and watch the invoice price and MSRP change as I made adjustments. Once I got my build the way I wanted and I knew what the invoice price would be I saved it as a PDF ready to be emailed out.

I then reached out to Dillion CDJR (Caldwell, ID), Peterson CDJR (Nampa, ID), and Gupton CDJR (Springfield, TN).

Dillion CDJR required a $3000 non-refundable deposit.
[EDIT]Peterson CDJR required a $3000 non-refundable deposit.
(Peterson CDJR never told me what the deposit was. I got mixed up reviewing all the emails in preparation to write this review. Thanks to member AREURIDING for catching this. The folks at Peterson CDJR really do seem like great people to work with.)
Gupton CDJR required a $1000 non-refundable deposit.

Dillion CDJR required a dealership installed "safety kit" that would cost me an extra $650. You have no option, but to accept it, if you want to order from them. That is some shady shit right there my friends. I don't like to be mandated so that was a deal breaker for me.

Peterson CDJR was pleasant and was willing to place my order. While I had a salesman within a reasonable time period I was advised after Thanksgiving that I would have to wait a few more days for him to be back at work. This was on top of reaching out a few days before Thanksgiving to place my order. No one let me know in advance that my salesman was going to take a few days off. Essentially a week wasted. I am glad he got a few days off, but I should have been assigned to someone that could have been there from start to end with no interruptions outside of Thanksgiving. I would have probably given them the chance anyway, but Gupton CDJR was at the ready from the start.

Daniel Gupton at Gupton CDJR was easy to work with. It was all through email which was fine with me as it allowed me to multi-task while at work. There was no sales pressure with Daniel, and he gave me a great offer right out of the gate. There was a bit of back and forth as could be expected, but all-in-all it was the best car buying experience I have had in over ten years.

I wanted 7% under invoice, but I did not get that because Jeep did away with incentives for the 2022 Rubicons. This includes Military Appreciation for active and retired folks, and the Tread Lightly program. Having said that if Jeep reinstates incentives by the time I take possession then I will be awarded those price breaks and I could get my 7% under invoice after all. Even without those incentives I am happy with the agreed upon price.

Remember your offers may vary based on what the dealership can do financially at the time of your order.

Essentially the offer I was given was approximately 5.1% under invoice for a cash purchase, or if I brought my own finance, OR, approximately 6.1% under invoice if I used dealer arranged financing which is what I chose.

To get the 6% under you must agree to make at least seven payments before you can refinance or pay it off. Since my credit is excellent I am not worried about the interest rate with the dealer arranged financing, and my business will just pay it off on the eighth month. The additional upshot is that this allows me to keep my money liquid in the meantime. There is no pre-payment penalty after the seventh payment.

Gupton CDJR also charges a $499 document fee and $7.50 for a 30 day temporary tag to get you back to your home state. I believe, but I am uncertain, that they will also charge for sales tax for your home state. In my case I think it is 6.5% on a new vehicle purchase. If they do not collect it you will have to pay your State in order to get your plates.

I am pretty stoked about getting my first Jeep, and I highly recommend Daniel Gupton at Gupton CDJR!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
Sounds like you did your homework. That was a good explanation / description for anyone trying to order.
Now the terrible wait time begins.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Strange, when I ordered from Peterson I only needed 1k down. Kent is the online guy for orders.
AREURIDING thank you for catching this. I made an edit above to correct the review to,"
[EDIT]Peterson CDJR required a $3000 non-refundable deposit.
(Peterson CDJR never told me what the deposit was. I got mixed up reviewing all the emails in preparation to write this review. Thanks to member AREURIDING for catching this. The folks at Peterson CDJR really do seem like great people to work with.)"

Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sounds like you did your homework. That was a good explanation / description for anyone trying to order.
Now the terrible wait time begins.
I am probably one of the few people on here where a longer wait is better! Since this vehicle is for my business it allows time to get in some more accounts receivables in to cushion all the tire, lift, and bumper upgrades that need to be done.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Sounds like you did your homework well. When I bought both my JLUR and GMC 3500 I took advantage of the dollars off financing. Both dealers told me I needed to pay for 6 months or more but I couldn't find any language to that effect in either loan document. I called both lenders and was told there was no prepayment penalty. Got the payoff amount and mailed a check that day. Had both loans less than a week. Check the contract language when you get the documents.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sounds like you did your homework well. When I bought both my JLUR and GMC 3500 I took advantage of the dollars off financing. Both dealers told me I needed to pay for 6 months or more but I couldn't find any language to that effect in either loan document. I called both lenders and was told there was no prepayment penalty. Got the payoff amount and mailed a check that day. Had both loans less than a week. Check the contract language when you get the documents.
Ken, I will definitely do that. I appreciate the suggestion!

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
You will be thrilled with how you are treated at Gupton. They do not collect sales tax outside of Tennessee residents, but they will send you a prepaid FedEx envelope for you to send them a copy of your registration showing you paid taxes in your own state.

My experience with them in October was flawless.

Nice write up, btw. I'm looking at flipping my current JLU and ordering a 22 come spring so its nice to keep up with their current offerings.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You will be thrilled with how you are treated at Gupton. They do not collect sales tax outside of Tennessee residents, but they will send you a prepaid FedEx envelope for you to send them a copy of your registration showing you paid taxes in your own state.

My experience with them in October was flawless.

Nice write up, btw. I'm looking at flipping my current JLU and ordering a 22 come spring so its nice to keep up with their current offerings.
Slightly incorrect. By default, they will not collect sales tax for out-of-state residents, but they will upon request.

I bought mine this July, and specifically asked them to estimate Texas taxes to roll them into the financing. They did, and then in the FedEx envelope (which arrives ~2 weeks after you pick up), they included a check made out to me for the same amount. I then deposited this check into my bank, and then paid with my debit card at the tax assessor's office when I registered the vehicle.

It's a little bit of a process, and I was skeptical at first, but it was really smooth. You have 30 days after purchase to register in Texas, so 2 weeks to get the FedEx from them still gave me 2 weeks to get myself down to the tax assessor.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Slightly incorrect. By default, they will not collect sales tax for out-of-state residents, but they will upon request.

I bought mine this July, and specifically asked them to estimate Texas taxes to roll them into the financing. They did, and then in the FedEx envelope (which arrives ~2 weeks after you pick up), they included a check made out to me for the same amount. I then deposited this check into my bank, and then paid with my debit card at the tax assessor's office when I registered the vehicle.

It's a little bit of a process, and I was skeptical at first, but it was really smooth. You have 30 days after purchase to register in Texas, so 2 weeks to get the FedEx from them still gave me 2 weeks to get myself down to the tax assessor.
Hehe, look up one post. 😅

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

This is good information. I will definitely ask them to do the same for me!
Sponsored