6spdjeep

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU HA, 2020 JLU Sahara (Lemon), 2017 GC Hemi
Hey Guys,

Thank you for the add. I just paid the deposit today for my Jeep with the intention of taking delivery in May or June. I order a JLU Sahara with the details below. This is going to be my 4th Jeep. I drove a 2009 JKU in high school, 2014 Grand Cherokee Altitude that was bought back when I was in college, and then a 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited V8. My lease is ending soon and I figured I would try something different as compared to a 3rd WK2 Jeep. I initially was looking into the Gladiator but after driving it I was not sold and considering I am in medical school I do not have much use for a pickup truck. I wanted a rubicon but according to the lease numbers the rubicon did not want me so I will learn to love a Sahara.

My Build
-JLU Sahara
-6 speed manual
-Ocean Blue
-Black Leather
-Remote Proximity
-Safety Group
-Advanced Safety Group
-LED Lighting
-Trail Tow Pack
-Cold Weather
-Black Hard top

I am really excited for my new Jeep just slightly worried about losing the Hemi which I really love. Cant wait for all the advice and help to come from the forum.

Thanks
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Awesome, you’re really going to enjoy your new Jeep.

OP
OP
6spdjeep

6spdjeep

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading all of these threads about clutches burning out at 30k miles should I reconsider my choice? Our JKU from 2013 has 53k miles and is on the original clutch without any issues.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
You know, I think it's most likely a statistical rarity that your manual will burn to the ground. But yeah, it would give me pause. If you really want the manual get it. Just make sure you have good insurance I guess?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

After reading all of these threads about clutches burning out at 30k miles should I reconsider my choice?
Have you driven an auto? Mated to the V6, it's a fantastic transmission. I'm blown away at how much better it is than what was in my '15.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
After reading all of these threads about clutches burning out at 30k miles should I reconsider my choice? Our JKU from 2013 has 53k miles and is on the original clutch without any issues.
Is it safe to assume that you're referring to the LSD clutch, not the one in the manual tranny? A whole lot more LSD related issues than jeeps burning to the ground.

What changes to your factory order are you considering? Also, what modifications, if any, do you have planned or could possibly entertain at some point as far as tire size and lift?

OP
OP
6spdjeep

6spdjeep

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it safe to assume that you're referring to the LSD clutch, not the one in the manual tranny? A whole lot more LSD related issues than jeeps burning to the ground.

What changes to your factory order are you considering? Also, what modifications, if any, do you have planned or could possibly entertain at some point as far as tire size and lift?
Referring to This. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-jl-clutch-question.44237/page-2#post-1021261

What changes do you think I should make? Are there any that stick out to you prior to my vehicle being assigned a VIN?

Have you driven an auto? Mated to the V6, it's a fantastic transmission. I'm blown away at how much better it is than what was in my '15.
I am not really interested in an automatic, I have had 2 WK2s with Hemi's and the one with the V8 had the real ZF 8 Speed from Germany. My understanding is the V6 Jeeps with the Auto have a replica made by FCA. I am pretty much hoping to keep this car for the next 10 years after medical school so I need something I don’t have to worry about. Plus I personally prefer to drive a manual.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The auto with 3.6 or 2.0 will be light years ahead of the JK setup in any configuration.

If you want a manual go for it, statistically the number catching fire is trivial in the big scheme of production. Don’t let forum drama confuse your choices, any problem here is amplified and not a reflection of real world use.

Sponsored

OP
OP
6spdjeep

6spdjeep

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up changing to the saddle colored leather. I figured it would make the interior look more spacious. So excited, got assigned a VIN today.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
If you want a manual go for it, statistically the number catching fire is trivial in the big scheme of production. Don’t let forum drama confuse your choices, any problem here is amplified and not a reflection of real world use.
^this!! My 18 JLUR manual has nearly 36,000 miles and I daily drive it about 115 miles a day in heavy north jersey traffic so my clutch for sure gets more exercise than most! It’s been trouble free except for a squeaky pedal which was easily addressed by the dealer. Been silent ever since. Enjoy the manual. I’m sure you’ll love it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Last edited:
OP
OP
6spdjeep

6spdjeep

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^this!! My 18 JLUR manual has nearly 36,000 miles and I daily drive it about 115 miles a day in heavy north jersey traffic so my clutch for sure gets more exercise than most! It’s been trouble free except for a squeaky pedal which was easily addressed by the dealer. Been silent ever since. Enjoy the manual. I’m sure you’ll love it.
I figure that I am leasing the car so if something goes wrong I will just be sure to dump it as soon as the lease ends and look for something else. I am hoping that I do not have any issues and can keep it!
Sponsored