First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R 1250RS-'20, BMW R 1250GS-'20, Ducati 950SS
Occupation
Taxpayer
If anyone has information on this, I'd appreciate it. On my touch screen, in the 'off road pages' there is indication for pitch (fore and aft) and roll ( side to side) I really don't want to find the roll limits, so does anyone know what the recommended max is? Stock JL Rubicon 2dr.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If anyone has information on this, I'd appreciate it. On my touch screen, in the 'off road pages' there is indication for pitch (fore and aft) and roll ( side to side) I really don't want to find the roll limits, so does anyone know what the recommended max is? Stock JL Rubicon 2dr.
There are too many factors in play to provide a number. It's all about how high your center of gravity is and length/width, terrain plays a factor as well. Lift will reduce it, a full compliment of passengers will reduce it, a RTT will reduce it... etc.

Consider it a "pucker factor" gauge. Start puckering at 20 degrees and clench your butt cheeks tighter the higher it gets. Eventually it will become too high. What that number actually is, we don't like to find out.

All it really tells you is that you've been this pitched and rolled before (and presumably survived) or you have not, and you're entering the land of the unknown.

OP
OP
camo4stealth

camo4stealth

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R 1250RS-'20, BMW R 1250GS-'20, Ducati 950SS
Occupation
Taxpayer
Yeah, I know what sort of things affect the max roll, but I thought there may be a 'do not exceed number' , thanks.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Yeah, I know what sort of things affect the max roll, but I thought there may be a 'do not exceed number' , thanks.
You know what? I've wanted to know this myself. Theoretically, yes, there is likely to be a fairly conservative value for max pitch and roll, but Jeep has not shared it with us. Any number you read would include some very large assumptions! Consider this...

It might assume that the vehicle situated on a completely flat incline and is moving at a very low speed. The more you increase your speed, then the more you're likely to overturn from an unpredictable jolt by irregular terrain. So speed combined with terrain irregularities can cause an even greater potential for a rollover at a much more shallow angle (just to put a value out there, let's say 20 degrees).

It might also assume that your angle of attack against an incline is within a specific range of degrees (or that you're attacking an incline head-on). At the margins, your vehicle's angle in relation to the incline would also be important, since the Wrangler's own weight (and vehicle loading) will not be evenly distributed. Consider this: your maximum angle for climbing an incline would be different from your maximum angle descending that same incline because the majority of your weight is typically in the front of the vehicle. (How much different are these maximums? Unknown, and also dependent upon these other factors listed here.)

Finally, it might assume no intervention from the vehicle's Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM). Looking at Jeep's ERM, honestly, I don't know how much considers pitch and roll (if at all). The manual talks about ERM only looking at the vehicle's speed combined with how quickly the steering wheel has been turned to compute a probability of wheel lift. If you think about it, your vehicle's pitch and roll could drastically affect how such a scenario plays out. What I gleemed from their explanation of the ERM is that any max pitch and roll number might also assume that there is not any additional lateral movement (turning) going on or that you're not accelerating or decelerating.

So, putting everything together: if you do not assume any particular angle of attack against an incline, you've got an unknown vehicle loading and weight distribution (or you're unwilling to do some significant trigonometric operations on the road), and you're making absolutely no changes in acceleration/braking/turning, and the road is perfectly flat and uniform, then and only then in that very narrow hypothetical situation (NOT real-world), perhaps 40 degrees? But do not use that number! In the real world, you would lower that number (based upon fear if not hard real-time trigonometric calculation) based upon your speed, terrain irregularity, and any acceleration (steering, braking, gas).

Approaching this number the other way, Reinen's suggestion of an increased "pucker factor" starting at 20 degrees actually does seem like a very good answer. Your brain is going to have to calculate a risk factor based upon the raw details of your unique situation. Yes, you should take note at 20 degrees. From there, if you want to take on more pitch and roll, carefully study your terrain irregularities, minimize (or avoid) all changes in speed and direction, and attack the surface at the lowest speed possible. But nothing is guaranteed.

Amusingly, if you read between the lines of the ERM's operating parameters, you'd see that they're trying to avoid a potential rollover situation at zero degrees pitch and zero degrees roll! That should tell you that there can be no recommended maximum value!

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
My GF said "That's enough" when I hit 23 in my JLR.
I'll have to go for 26 when she's spotting.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pitch and roll screen 2021-11-28 13.27.41

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
My JLUR is on a 2.5" lift with stock wheels and 35s run at 15psi. I've been to 27Ëš and it isn't fun for me but the Jeep doesn't seem to mind. Doing a theoretical center of gravity calculation says roll shouldn't be a problem until 35-40. Why don't you find a good bank and let us know? Looking at the youtube vids it appears most rolls occur when folks start to spinning and get sidewise. Not my style. When I get sideways I'm going at 0 speed and inch through. Then I get out and let the seat bottom go back into place.

FTWWillys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Got to 27° on my roll twice last weekend. Both leaning towards the driver side. Pucker factor definitely real...

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
There are too many factors in play to provide a number. It's all about how high your center of gravity is and length/width, terrain plays a factor as well. Lift will reduce it, a full compliment of passengers will reduce it, a RTT will reduce it... etc.

Consider it a "pucker factor" gauge. Start puckering at 20 degrees and clench your butt cheeks tighter the higher it gets. Eventually it will become too high. What that number actually is, we don't like to find out.

All it really tells you is that you've been this pitched and rolled before (and presumably survived) or you have not, and you're entering the land of the unknown.
If it feels uncomfortable you shouldn’t be there it’s probably getting ready to teach an idiot lesson to those willing to explore. It’s a deep pocket situation.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I saw 28 at my highest and agree 25 is a comfortable limit for me. Enough that I feel firmly planted but am definitely uncomfortable. I don’t have enough experience off road yet to be buttery smooth 2 foot driving so last thing I want to do is bounce myself over preloading my suspension with too hard of gas/brakes.

That said prior posts seem to suggest the Jeep only displays up to 30 even when it’s more. I recall seeing Pics of a dash with a phone readout that was more than just a couple degrees different

Reactions: J0E

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you're calm enough to actually look at the roll/pitch gauges, you're probably fine, if your seat is wet or squishy, you may want to back up and take a different line.
Sponsored