Sponsored

Pinion/pinion bearing isn't spinning true. Front d44 regear.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just got done putting the pinion nut on, and noticed this. Put my impact on the pinion nut to spin it fast and noticed it doesnt seem to be spinning true. I'm not a super expert, so I don't know if this is normal/tolerable or not. So I leave it up to you guys.
Sponsored

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Video of pinion

23xr392

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Unless youā€™re seeing something Iā€™m not, looks like itā€™s just the cage of the bearing giving the illusion itā€™s off center.

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Unless youā€™re seeing something Iā€™m not, looks like itā€™s just the cage of the bearing giving the illusion itā€™s off center.
Yeah, the space between the cage and the race doesn't stay the same as it spins. Is that normal?

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Looks like the head is spinning true. Thatā€™s all that matters. The cage is supposed to have play in it. Looks good to me.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Thanks for adding me, man.

OP - What the others are saying is true. The cage isn't truly round and it will provide this illusion.

If your PTTR figures are correct, then press FWD with the install. You're in great shape.

I would, however, pack the rest of your bearings with grease or coat them slightly. That head bearing looks awfully dry. This will provide an inaccurate PTTR figure. It's not detrimental at this point, but you're going to want to make sure to grease the remaining bearings prior to install, especially before you get your TTTR figure.

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks for adding me, man.

OP - What the others are saying is true. The cage isn't truly round and it will provide this illusion.

If your PTTR figures are correct, then press FWD with the install. You're in great shape.

I would, however, pack the rest of your bearings with grease or coat them slightly. That head bearing looks awfully dry. This will provide an inaccurate PTTR figure. It's not detrimental at this point, but you're going to want to make sure to grease the remaining bearings prior to install, especially before you get your TTTR figure.
Roger. Yeah I took it back off and oiled it after watching my own vid. Seemed dry to me too. šŸ˜†