Pinging clock sound behind steering column in 4Low when turning

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am hearing this noise as well, which seems quite odd sounding to me. If everyone else is hearing it, I guess it is “by design”.

However I also get a grinding noise sometimes that seems to come along with the clicking. Has anyone else had that? It is most noticeable in 4lo while going up hill or over rocks. But also happens to a lesser extent in 4Hi.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I am hearing this noise as well, which seems quite odd sounding to me. If everyone else is hearing it, I guess it is “by design”.

However I also get a grinding noise sometimes that seems to come along with the clicking. Has anyone else had that? It is most noticeable in 4lo while going up hill or over rocks. But also happens to a lesser extent in 4Hi.
Hi RangerRobAZ,
We are very sorry to hear about your two recent concerns. Have you considered addressing these with your dealer? If you decide to do so, and would be interested in additional assistance, feel free to private message us!
Laura
Jeep Cares

mrphillips

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
My first trip in our 2020 and it did the same thing.. I've never heard this on any of my other Jeep's..

OP
OP
Jaym

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I believe this is a relay or solenoid, but it’s only a guess. Mine still does it but I haven’t had any issues.

mrphillips

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I believe this is a relay or solenoid, but it’s only a guess. Mine still does it but I haven’t had any issues.
I know it's annoying.. I tried to recreate it on wet grass but it doesn't make the sound

Sponsored

Trek68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
You can add another owner experiencing this issue to the list. This weekend was the first time I had to put it into 4H and 4L. Did not experience the sound when driving straight. Carving up the sand dunes though, I heard the clicking. Typically when the wheel was cut hard passenger or driver.

My first Jeep so nothing to compare it to.

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How much do you hear the ticking noise? When I am going up a steep/loose hill in 4Lo, It sounds just slightly less rapid than firecrackers in frequency and the anti-lock brake grinding noise accompanies it. I still haven't been able to get into the dealer to have it addressed. It also makes the noise just driving in 4Lo on fairly normal terrain or 4Hi to a lesser extent. I can't imagine the frequency of the noise is right.

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have this noise as well on my Jeep, I want to say it sounds very similar to what I heard when my ESC freaked out with my steering wheel not being centered after installing my lift but that was at highway speed. First time hearing it in 4lo was yesterday, I will keep trying to replicate it but I figured it was normal at the time. Others have noted the noise is amplified when turning, mine was especially noticeable when I would go over rocks/bumps and hold the steering straight (not allowing it to freely spin).

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have this noise as well on my Jeep, I want to say it sounds very similar to what I heard when my ESC freaked out with my steering wheel not being centered after installing my lift but that was at highway speed. First time hearing it in 4lo was yesterday, I will keep trying to replicate it but I figured it was normal at the time. Others have noted the noise is amplified when turning, mine was especially noticeable when I would go over rocks/bumps and hold the steering straight (not allowing it to freely spin).
Mine seems to be getting worse. If I turn off traction control when in 4Hi, the clicking noise occurrence is greatly reduced. I still get the awful ABS grinding noise, which seems like an exacerbation of the electronic braking system issues noted here. 4Lo is supposed to have most of that crap turned off, but perhaps my Jeep has a problem and 4Lo is not disabling traction control like it should (the light on the button turns on and the dash indicator comes on for it disabling when i go into 4lo)

At this point, I think Jeep has a design flaw in the electronic braking systems on these JLs. It seems to be overly sensitive when off roading. I spent 8 hours at the dealer one day , they even went out with me in the Jeep and called in to Jeep to investigate the grinding. In the end they didn’t seem to have a clue but said it was “normal” and not to worry, I have a warranty. Small comfort if I break down on a trail. I have been extremely disappointed overall with my JL, I am not comfortable with taking it on any more than light off-road due the frequent, loud ABS grinding. Great “feature” for a Wrangler to have.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Lol This is hilarious. You guys dont realize when you turn the steering to lock in 4 low you put a lot of tension on the drive train. Your center diff is locked so it ether compensates with wheel hop, wheel spin or all that binding goes into tcase where theres a ratcheting check Just like a diff spool to relieve the binding.

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Lol This is hilarious. You guys dont realize when you turn the steering to lock in 4 low you put a lot of tension on the drive train. Your center diff is locked so it ether compensates with wheel hop, wheel spin or all that binding goes into tcase where theres a ratcheting check Just like a diff spool to relieve the binding.
I guess it is Hilarious.
It's not turning to lock that causes it. It happens even when sitting still with no binding. It can be just one inch from center on the steering wheel for me. It's a pinging or electronic clicking behind the steering wheel inside the dash.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I stumbled upon this thread. 2020 JLUR here. Last offroad trip I noticed mine making this noise as well but only in 4LO. First time hearing it but it definitely sounds like a spring

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Guys, this is 100% normal, stop thinking otherwise, find something else you think is wrong with your Jeep ... it shouldn't be difficult.

See Video review below where they specifically talk about the pinging noise in 4L..

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Not the issue here. I was in several feet of snow when this was happening, and I just traded in my 19 for a 21. Didn't do this in the older one. This pic is from when it was happening!

20210226_152200.jpg

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I’m experiencing this too. Just wondering, did you guys go with larger tires and recalibrate your vehicle to the larger tire size. I did, and am running 35’s but found that I had to tell the Jeep's computer I was running 33’s to get an accurate speedometer reading. I’m thinking that my Jeep is sensing that I'm slipping due to an incorrectly calibrated tire size and activating the BDL. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored