Sponsored

Pinging and Valve noise solved 3.6

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
I know many have complained about the pinging and noisy valve train. I began using different octane gasoline from 87, 93, 94, 98 and 100 octane with no significant change. I did a oil change this time using 4 qts of 5w30 and 1 qt 0w20 all pre detonation and valve train noises were no longer there. I drive a manual 6 speed It typically happened going uphill when shifting or low rpm high load. I strongly recommend following mfgs recommendations. The reason I tried this, jeep did it with the 2.0 turbo motor for the pre detonation and valve train noise TSB. This is for information only I do not recomend going outside of MFGs recomendations as it calls for 0w20.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
"Low rpm, high load" does not do well with a high rpm motor like the 3.6. Especially when coupled to the manual transmission.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I solved this “issue” by turning up the radio. :rock:

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
"Low rpm, high load" does not do well with a high rpm motor like the 3.6. Especially when coupled to the manual transmission.
Mine pings even when on flat ground in 1st/2nd gear just starting off from a standstill. I agree that the 3.6 is a rev happy engine but I don't see how pinging is okay when driving normally through the lower gears.

OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
Examples of high load low RPM such as starting off from dead stop shifting going steep up hill 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd or lifting then accelerating. Motor valve train is quiet engine noticeably quieter and no pre detonation at all. These were the similar circumstances the 2.0 got the TSB and changed oil from 5w20 to 5w30 . I strongly recommend following mfgs suggested 0w20 this is for informational purposes only. I have 5 oil analysis done done to base line along with detailed oil pressure and temps as it does run slightly cooler with additional 5w30 both in engine oil temps and engine coolant cheers!

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I’m interested in finding out more. Has your pinging come back or completely cured with the change in oil spec?
Sponsored