Sponsored

Pinch Seam. Cut, roll, or rear control arms?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No, that’s why I asked which of the 3 seemed the best. I’m going to stuff it again and check the rear fender well clearance to see if I have room to push the axle back. If not, I need to trim and re-mold the liner anyway. I’m on 39’s, so it might just be inevitable.
I'm assuming you have 39" KM3's, which are a hair bigger than my 38x13.5 Pat's. Even if you chop the fenders and remove the filler panels between the fenders and rear bumper, you'll have to either trim the pinch seam or lose uptravel with a lot of extra bump stop spacers.

At normal ride height, I utilized my 8 control arms to center the axles in the wheelwells fore and aft. The front half of the pinch seam is fine, but the rear half kicks back inward towards the tire, rather than following a consistent arch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pinch Seam. Cut, roll, or rear control arms? 20200831_111402
Jeep Wrangler JL Pinch Seam. Cut, roll, or rear control arms? 20200831_111646
Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I'm assuming you have 39" KM3's, which are a hair bigger than my 38x13.5 Pat's. Even if you chop the fenders and remove the filler panels between the fenders and rear bumper, you'll have to either trim the pinch seam or lose uptravel with a lot of extra bump stop spacers.

At normal ride height, I utilized my 8 control arms to center the axles in the wheelwells fore and aft. The front half of the pinch seam is fine, but the rear half kicks back inward towards the tire, rather than following a consistent arch.
Thank you, I was re-reading old posts paying closer attention and that was the conclusion I came to. It's just inevitable over 37" unless you run a huge amount of bumpstop. I'm going to order fender clips and try to do it later this month or early next month. If I'm going this far, I see no reason for aftermarket stuff. I'll just keep the stock fender and re-mold the liner.
Long term I'm still looking at investing in some Metalcloack arms, but it's not very urgent.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to add, that even with all 8 control arms, you'll need to trim the pinch seams to avoid excessive bump stop spacing. 37's are the max size that can get away without a trim, as long as the axle is left forward of center of the wheelwells.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Well, that went as well as a dumpster fire. I broke EVERY connector AND my HF trim tool removing my passenger fender. I had to finish with a metal one. Passenger side is cut and jb is curing. Going to examine aftermarket fenders now because just breaking the connectors wasn’t enough. I actually broke several of the mounting points on my fender, so the ends will flop around now if I put it back on.
Also, the Teraflex shims only work with their bumpstops, shame in me for not researching.
Edit: Just found out my grinder battery will no longer accept a charge. I hope the backup battery doesn't fail midway through the driver side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Jeep Wrangler JL Pinch Seam. Cut, roll, or rear control arms? AAE47E9B-C21C-405B-AC53-6294AF5A5453

Driver side went much smoother. I left the tire on so I could brace against it. I might have to cut that lower corner back some more, but the flex test will tell. JB will cure all day tomorrow, then I’ll get it back together. Second pack of fender clips arrives Tuesday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Passenger side clears at full stuff. The funky angle of my driveway won’t let me check driver, but I think I can get it at work tomorrow using a loading ramp.
I’m going to pull the rear most inner fender liner so I don’t rip it off. I’m close enough that it could happen back there because I make contact, but I’m not rubbing the bracket behind it. The main fender liner should be good with some heat therapy to reform the front.
It is so close that any adjustment of the control arms to push the axle back would make me contact the rear. I might still contact when offroad, hopefully regear doesn’t take 4 days so I can test it out this weekend.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Well, that went as well as a dumpster fire.
Sounds about right. It's usually how my Jeep projects turn out. At lease it feels like that but then after completing an install and you finally have a chance to step back and admire your handy work that feeling of relief, both mentally and financially finally makes it all worth it.

You'll soon realize setting bump and clearances is easier done with 2 people. The other person in the drivers seat going lock to lock while you're observing everything else going on or working the jack if the Jeep is on jack stands. Just remember, at the end of the day your Jeep will flex differently when checking this stuff in a "controlled" environment versus actually offroad. 99% of the time you're not done when you think you are. Good to see you making headway 👍

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Full clear with forklift. I’m going to yank that small rear bumper liner/bracket because I’m lightly on it in a controlled setting. I’ll try to remold the factory inner liners and re-attach the fenders tonight. Regear is Thursday.
Sponsored