Pictures Please ! JLUR with Mopar 2" Lift & 35s

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
My opinion is that a 35 tire looks the best on an 18 inch wheel like these, your Jeep looks good like it is. Wear them 35"s out and then consider 37's.

I however am to cheap to buy new wheels after spending 56k on a new Jeep so I will be running 315 Duratracs (aka 35's) on mine with a 2 inch mopar lift. Im sure it will look fine to me!!
Thanks for your kind words Cory.

My daughter has a Jeep as well, which makes it way to easy to put my sloppy seconds on her Jeep. I will probably keep the 35s for now.
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Mopar 2" and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35's. Do your research. I'm finding that the Mopar lift is incomplete and I just spent an additional $800 I'm parts to try and get it corrected.

IMG_20180926_210125_567.jpg
What's incomplete about the Mopar 2" lift?

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
nothing is incomplete on my 2 inch Mopar lift, dealer installed with a lifetime warranty! It drives and rides perfectly. Tracks good also. But apparently some people are having trouble with the axle not being centered causing the vehicle not to track as it should. My axles were a quarter inch off Front and back right after the lift but now after a few hundred miles it is settled and axles are centered. Maybe some of them are not installed correctly I don’t know. Maybe some of the jeeps are out of spec before the lift, again I don’t know! All I know is that mine works as it should with out any extra components added or needed. I will add that I put on a nexus 2.0 adjustable steering stabilizer right after I bought the jeep last summer. I was not having problems I just wanted the ability to adjust the steering as I did in my grand Cherokee. But the steering stabilizer was added well before the lift.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
The lift is actually higher than 2". Axles are off centered so hard to get it to stay in the lanes. Hoping the new Rock Krawler components I have will help fix the issues. If I had to do it again, I would not buy the Mopar.

OP
OP

krkrmsy72

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you are not concern about fuel economy or tire wear why not just jump to 37’s and save you the hassle of doing a second purchase after you ride on the 35’s and wish you would have just done it from the beginning, since you said you prefer the look.

I have a 6spd Rubi and 37’s that I drive daily, and my commutes are not just down the road, they are back and forth across town sometimes doing over 100 miles a day. I find it awesome to drive and don’t regret it one bit. I went back and forth, like you for all the same reasons, but ultimately decided to skip the 35’s and I’m glad I did. I think the 37’s are a great match for the Rubi plus it looks better with the highline fenders, But sometimes I look at it and think I may go a little bigger next time..... 38-40’s.

As for the road noise and ride comfort, tires play a big roll in that so do your research. Look into the load range and watch your tire pressure.

Running a smaller wheel instead of a larger one will also have an impact on your ride comfort.

Whatever you decided get what YOU want and whatever makes you happy.
Thanks for the honest feedback. And yes that's my concern is that I'll go with the 35s/2" lift and regret it from day 1. Did you regear?

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the honest feedback. And yes that's my concern is that I'll go with the 35s/2" lift and regret it from day 1. Did you regear?
No I have not regeared. I did my lift and tires when my Rubi had 130miles on it, so I didn’t have much time with it stock, but this doesn’t seem too different except the height of it. I find the 6spd does very well with my set up and my wheel and tire combo is on the heavier side than some of the other options out there. The tires I have are Nitto Ridge grapplers 37x12.50r17 and I run the AEV Borah wheels. This is not a light combo but the Rubi doesn’t seem effected by this much, it still has a lot of pep to get around. I don’t ever use 6th, even on the interstate, but that doesn’t bother me.

I think with the right tire choice you will be very happy with 37’s

What tires are you thinking about?

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The lift is actually higher than 2". Axles are off centered so hard to get it to stay in the lanes. Hoping the new Rock Krawler components I have will help fix the issues. If I had to do it again, I would not buy the Mopar.
Yes, this has been my experience as well. I am constantly making micro adjustments to keep my Jeep steering straight down the road. I am also considering adding the Rock Krawler front and rear adjustable track bars. I'd be interested to hear if adding these components correct your tracking issues. I also netted more than 2" of lift. Not sure why Mopar continues to call this a 2" lift and why they didn't do a better job field testing the kit. It is definitely not a complete kit as the "kool aid" drinkers would lead you to believe. I installed my lift myself as I don't trust off road shops or the dealer's mechanics to do the same meticulous job as I did. The install was very straight forward. I am not totally dissatisfied with the lift but I do think it needs some tweaking and additional components and I do think there are better options out there.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this has been my experience as well. I am constantly making micro adjustments to keep my Jeep steering straight down the road. I am also considering adding the Rock Krawler front and rear adjustable track bars. I'd be interested to hear if adding these components correct your tracking issues. I also netted more than 2" of lift. Not sure why Mopar continues to call this a 2" lift and why they didn't do a better job field testing the kit. It is definitely not a complete kit as the "kool aid" drinkers would lead you to believe. I installed my lift myself as I don't trust off road shops or the dealer's mechanics to do the same meticulous job as I did. The install was very straight forward. I am not totally dissatisfied with the lift but I do think it needs some tweaking and additional components and I do think there are better options out there.
Kool aid drinkers? Anyone would be welcome to inspect and drive my Jeep. It has been on a number of off-road excursions, includiing Moab and back, with 5 days of hard off roading and 4 of loooonnng highway driving. The axles are centered perfectly to the eye, it rides a littel better than stock and it handles almost as good. The only issues have been the need to tighten bolts after the first off road trip (500 miles) and a new corrected spring pad, although my bowed spring wasn't rubbing anything to begin with. My tire wear, after 14,000 miles on the lift, is showing no issue and is trending for long life, too.

If axles are not centered, I'd find a good dealer and see what they can do or get adjustable track bars and center it with those. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm not sure how luck would play into it. Maybe if I got out a tape measure, I might find 1/8" or less off center, but you sure can't tell from looking at it, and I poured over it VERY closely.

My dealer did the install and it was done by a tech who was very experienced with a variety of JK lifts. Mine was the first JL lift they did. I inspected a Sport recently that they had in ths showroom with this lift, as they are now doing them routinely, and it looked spot-on, as well.

If that's Koolaid that made this thing work the way it does, I'll take more, please.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kool aid drinkers? Anyone would be welcome to inspect and drive my Jeep. It has been on a number of off-road excursions, includiing Moab and back, with 5 days of hard off roading and 4 of loooonnng highway driving. The axles are centered perfectly to the eye, it rides a littel better than stock and it handles almost as good. The only issues have been the need to tighten bolts after the first off road trip (500 miles) and a new corrected spring pad, although my bowed spring wasn't rubbing anything to begin with. My tire wear, after 14,000 miles on the lift, is showing no issue and is trending for long life, too.

If axles are not centered, I'd find a good dealer and see what they can do or get adjustable track bars and center it with those. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm not sure how luck would play into it. Maybe if I got out a tape measure, I might find 1/8" or less off center, but you sure can't tell from looking at it, and I poured over it VERY closely.

My dealer did the install and it was done by a tech who was very experienced with a variety of JK lifts. Mine was the first JL lift they did. I inspected a Sport recently that they had in ths showroom with this lift, as they are now doing them routinely, and it looked spot-on, as well.

If that's Koolaid that made this thing work the way it does, I'll take more, please.
That's great that you are satisfied completely with your Mopar lift and it has been battle tested in Moab. There are some like you that haven't one complaint with the lift and subjectively think their lifted JL drives and handles better than stock. I was hoping that it would be my experience as well. I agree with your assessment on the Fox shocks. They are pretty dang good. I have not taken the time to measure if my axles are centered or not yet. It would almost make sense that since my lift has netted approximately 3," my axles very well might be off centered which might explain the constant need for micro adjusting my steering wheel to keep tracking straight down the road. Now I just might be one of the unlucky owners who is having the highly publicized steering issue which Jeep has yet to figure out and yet to admit is a problem. Several on here have taken their rig into their service department and been told "it's a Jeep thing." I've been driving JKs since 2012 and it's not a "Jeep thing." I never had steering issues with my previous JKs (lifted and not lifted) so there is no reason why I should with a redesigned JL. I have brought my JL into my service department for the steering and so far I have come up empty handed. Now what I don't understand is that on the JK model, if you went much higher than 2.5" lift, at the minimum it was suggested that you put a rear track bar relocation bracket on at a minimum. And some even changed out the front trackbar to an adjustable front track bar. Why doesn't this hold true for the JL. Again, I stated that I wasn't totally dissatisfied with the lift. I have seen several posters on here who had the Mopar 2" lift installed and were either so dissatisfied that they went back to stock or they traded their Jeep in for something else. Now I'm not anywhere near that. Again, I just think something needs a little tweaking and I'm hoping maybe it's just centering the axles (if mine are indeed off) that might help. I am not attacking anyone on here who is happy with their Mopar 2" lift. And I am certainly open to suggestions as well.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's great that you are satisfied completely with your Mopar lift and it has been battle tested in Moab. There are some like you that haven't one complaint with the lift and subjectively think their lifted JL drives and handles better than stock. I was hoping that it would be my experience as well. I agree with your assessment on the Fox shocks. They are pretty dang good. I have not taken the time to measure if my axles are centered or not yet. It would almost make sense that since my lift has netted approximately 3," my axles very well might be off centered which might explain the constant need for micro adjusting my steering wheel to keep tracking straight down the road. Now I just might be one of the unlucky owners who is having the highly publicized steering issue which Jeep has yet to figure out and yet to admit is a problem. Several on here have taken their rig into their service department and been told "it's a Jeep thing." I've been driving JKs since 2012 and it's not a "Jeep thing." I never had steering issues with my previous JKs (lifted and not lifted) so there is no reason why I should with a redesigned JL. I have brought my JL into my service department for the steering and so far I have come up empty handed. Now what I don't understand is that on the JK model, if you went much higher than 2.5" lift, at the minimum it was suggested that you put a rear track bar relocation bracket on at a minimum. And some even changed out the front trackbar to an adjustable front track bar. Why doesn't this hold true for the JL. Again, I stated that I wasn't totally dissatisfied with the lift. I have seen several posters on here who had the Mopar 2" lift installed and were either so dissatisfied that they went back to stock or they traded their Jeep in for something else. Now I'm not anywhere near that. Again, I just think something needs a little tweaking and I'm hoping maybe it's just centering the axles (if mine are indeed off) that might help. I am not attacking anyone on here who is happy with their Mopar 2" lift. And I am certainly open to suggestions as well.
I know everyone says the installation is easy, but there may be something going on there that is an issue. The steering, though, seems not necessarily tied to the lift. My steering stabilizer is one of the bad ones and it is displaying very minor wobble under very specific conditions, but it just started doing that and I've got 14k on the lift. A good dealer is critical. Mine immediately acknowledged a problem and ordered a new stabilizer, just on my word. Then again, I've been a customer for 11 years and we know each other well.

I'd recommend having a different dealer look at it if someone has an issue with the lift. Looking around the forum, the quality and ability of dealer service departments is highly variable. If you find a good one, stick with them.

I hope you get yours sorted out. I can tell you that mine was as close to perfect in Moab as any Jeep I've driven. I had a couple guys with us with built JK's, including one with a full Metal Cloak setup (my humble opinion is that Metal Cloak may be the class of the field) and my Jeep did everything theirs did, and even did better with flex, on lesser tires (KO2's vs. ST Pros, and what I think were Falkens on another.) My buddy blew out a brand new Pro Comp monotube shock, too. His were hot to the touch. I felt the Fox's after the same section of trail and they were cool to the touch. (I'm sold on the aluminum body). I couldn't have been happier with the way the whole package worked. Now I know, some of the performance was simply the JL and its incremental improvement, but those other guys had premium lift kits, and they seemed to have been installed properly, and the JK is still the next best machine to the JL, and is very close, on its own IMO. They were beautuful set-ups. I may be selling the KO2's a little short, though. They just aren't as aggressive a tread as the tires the other guys were running.

Lifts are very subjective, though. Ride/handling has to be right for the owner. My buddy's JK wanders all over the place, but he loves it. He doesn't like the soft ride of my JL, and the wandering doesn't bother him, so each to his own.

Again, I hope you get it exactly the way you want it so that you can get that JL out there and really soak in the fun. I just smile ear to ear every time I drive this thing, on or off road.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion, it only takes a quick cursory review of the parts contained in the Mopar lift to understand it’s not a very complete lift on its own. At 2” is might be ok, but if netting more than that than thinks like additional control arms, adjustable track are, etc. should be used.

My Jeep just delivered yesterday so no lift on it yet, but I’m planning on either not using the Mopar kit, or purchasing ahead of install the deficient parts to supplement it.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I agree Dan, I love that kind of Kool-Aid! Same goes for my Mopar 2 Inch on my Rubicon. It was installed by a dealer that knew what they were doing! I’m sorry some people have problems with this lift. But I I am very satisfied with it. And also mine is barely above two inches. Axles are also centered, my jeep is heavy, especially on the front with a winch and components! I had originally lost 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in front with stock suspension because of the winch. I got that amount back plus around 2 inches. Also I do not think all of these JL jeeps are set up equally from the factory. If they were we would not hear so much about steering issues on stock jeeps While other JL jeeps drive perfectly!

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Somebody please tell me how the Mopar lift can easily handle some of the most challenging trails in Moab and miles of other advanced trails, then jump on the highway for 22 comfortable hours and not be complete. I'm just scratching my head with that. Maybe it was terrible and I just dont know any better.

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I bought my new JL with the 2'' Mopar lift installed by the dealer.
It rides great !!!!
Sponsored