Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We camped in a campground for the holiday weekend for a dog event. Nice pool and clean. But it was very crowded. Ever site was full and the sites were small. My Jeep and small camper took up our full site and just had enough room to walk around the camper and Jeep with out being on the next person's site.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 1685524455503

If you had a bigger camper or RV, by the time you put your slides out, you may not have enough room on your site to sit outside.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 1685524555637

Now if you did pay for the premium site like my bud did that is taking this picture of us, you could get a bigger site. We camped at this campground to be with these Jeep peeps and attend the Dog Bowl (think dog like Olympics)events. It was three days of dog stuff with vendors in a pretty cool town of Frankenmuth Michigan.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 1685524862203

Mr. Business did come in 3rd place in a dog run.

After three days of this, we headed for the woods in Northern Michigan to the the Huron National forest for some peace and quiet. Found a nice site along the Ausable river and just chilled out. There are many miles of trails in the the area, but they are super easy. Think like mini van friendly. We came to this spot to enjoy some peace and quiet and be around less people.

The views from the campsite were great.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImagemF871G

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImageMEMfCq

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 1685525351475

We did go do some exploring with the Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImagebSvWmi

There were several places along the river that high banks that made for nice views.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImagebWfPhM

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImageDVLOvx

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImagenzhtVZ

Carla and Mr. Business was enjoying the ride.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImage68q6O

I got up early the next morning to enjoy a great sunrise over the river from camp.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImage2iGZmv

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImage8oJqME

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImagemtOAJM

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImageT55lwc

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImageQiinpN

This site was a pay site. We lucked out as this is the best site in the whole area and is usually booked solid for the whole summer. We stopped at the ranger station and someone had just cancelled their reservation and the rangers were like this is the site you have to stay on. We had several people with boats ask us how we got the site as it was right on the water and you could easily pull your boat up to it. There was a boat launch about 200 yards way from our site.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImageZmwzkL

While the camping was a pay site for $10 a night there are thousands and thousand of acres of land in the area that you can camp for free for up to 14 days of boondock style of camping. The $10 dollars was worth it for the site. We still prefer to be farther out into the woods, but this was a nice impromptu stay.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
So was it worth the drive? Carla and I drove past this place in March but did not know about it.
It was and the no water/electric sites are creatively placed within the rocks which is really cool. The park has 10+ miles of hiking trails and good exhibits.

Surrounded by primarily BLM land there are likely opportunities for some trail running near the park. We went farther north into the Gila National Forest for some mild trail runs to hike. The high forest is beautiful with ponderosa pines and the spring creeks still running. The Gila Cliff Dwellings were well preserved and interesting.

I would like to explore the Florida and West Potrillo Mountains to the south.

City of Rocks SP was a great place to camp, though what interested us most north in the Gila NF had plenty of boondocking sites closer. It is best as a transitional camp rather than a base camp location–

Last edited:

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Is it just the angle or is there a lot of weight on your rear axle? I have trouble balancing my square drop trailer. It seems like too much weight on the tongue?

This seems like a real challenge with the square drop rigs with all the real estate for storage at the tongue–

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
Is it just the angle or is there a lot of weight on your rear axle? I have trouble balancing my square drop trailer. It seems like too much weight on the tongue?

This seems like a real challenge with the square drop rigs with all the real estate for storage at the tongue–
No- definitely squatting a bit. My hope is that when I move the RTT to the trailer, the RAW will lighten some. The tongue weight for the XT was listed at 220ish, and I don’t anticipate putting anything too heavy up front, just the large bulky items.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yeah, that looks pretty slick and significantly smaller / lighter.
About 6.5lb compared to over 30lb IIRC. My 2dr being also a toad behind my Class C means weight along with size is critical. All of my mods/gear buying decisions are 'heavily' influenced by weight!

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Yes to the towing with a class C. We upgraded the hitch and had some frame stiffening done to the camper. We used to tow our old WJ with it
Sponsored