Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My struggle is real. Eight or so years ago, my wife bought a 36ft Class A motorhome. Coming from a truck camper. We also tent camped. She said she was never going to tent camp again. So I had a guy that worked for me with two young sons. I told him, I will give you all of my tent camping gear as long as you take your sons camping. I gave him tents, thermarest sleeping pads, high end sleeping bags, jet boil cooking stove and cooking stuff, back packs, the whole set up. Probably a couple grand of stuff.

We still have a tent. Well my wife wants to get back into tent camping while out Jeeping. Basically drive the Jeep and the camper way out into the middle of no where and leave the Jeep and the camper to hike even farther out into no where and tent camp. Well okay.

So yesterday, off to REI we go. She buys a $220 backpack, a $150 sleeping pad and a $289 sleeping bag. It is cold outside but hey, she wants to sleep outside last night. So out I go, set up the tent in the woods last night, It was going to get down to 37 degrees and it is damp out. Well about Midnight, she wakes me up and said lets head back into the house as she was warm but the weather was making her knees hurt.

She is already back pedaling........ Fuck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
My struggle is real. Eight or so years ago, my wife bought a 36ft Class A motorhome. Coming from a truck camper. We also tent camped. She said she was never going to tent camp again. So I had a guy that worked for me with two young sons. I told him, I will give you all of my tent camping gear as long as you take your sons camping. I gave him tents, thermarest sleeping pads, high end sleeping bags, jet boil cooking stove and cooking stuff, back packs, the whole set up. Probably a couple grand of stuff.

We still have a tent. Well my wife wants to get back into tent camping while out Jeeping. Basically drive the Jeep and the camper way out into the middle of no where and leave the Jeep and the camper to hike even farther out into no where and tent camp. Well okay.

So yesterday, off to REI we go. She buys a $220 backpack, a $150 sleeping pad and a $289 sleeping bag. It is cold outside but hey, she wants to sleep outside last night. So out I go, set up the tent in the woods last night, It was going to get down to 37 degrees and it is damp out. Well about Midnight, she wakes me up and said lets head back into the house as she was warm but the weather was making her knees hurt.

She is already back pedaling........ Fuck.
:fist bump:

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
Why tow a miniature dump truck?
Cause we enjoy offroading. That Polaris went anywhere. (Accept the highway).
We decided since we moved to a motorhome. (Previous toy hauler). Since I no longer had a truck to drive to town. Some changes were needed. I needed a good off-road vehicle, that we could just flat tow. So new Jeep was in order.

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
2018 JLUR-5x9 Hiker Trailer -GAZELLE T3X
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 3B7C2D4D-9A0F-4675-B2CD-E5B97C85C810

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 3B7C2D4D-9A0F-4675-B2CD-E5B97C85C810
These tents actually have decent space inside and height also, held up to some good winds and heavy rains with no leaks too. (Only 2 of the 3 fur children pictured) haha
I really like this set-up! I do a good bit of camping and sleep in my JLURD with a DeepSleeps mattress but always need more space for the dogs. Would you recommend this set-up and durability? Thanks!

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered the new trailer, seeing all these photos will make the wait tough. Can't wait to get out again and explore again.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just ordered the new trailer, seeing all these photos will make the wait tough. Can't wait to get out again and explore again.
I'm still waiting too. :fist bump:

What did ya get?

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
@Krondor

Went with the Taxa Cricket. Requirements were the ability to stand up, onboard water, and fit in the garage. Ordered with no options other than screen for the side door. No A/C (can retrofit later if needed). Picked up a Dometic CFX3 55IM at Jeep Beach for a good deal. I REALLY wanted the Overland Edition; Timbren Suspension, Lock N Roll hitch, reinforced frame, but it will not fit in the garage.

Prior trailers were an IntechRV Flyer Pursue with the adventure package and lift kit then "upgraded" to the IntechRV Sol Dawn Rover.

Loved the Pursue but inside space and not being able to do more than sit up got old, water was also an issue.

Sold the Dawn last month, loved the trailer but hated having to pay for storage and it was 1-1/2 hours to pick it up from storage or drop it off. I am unable to have it at the house because of the HOA. Great trailer but it is wide and not quite as agile as a smaller trailer. The bathroom was a bonus.

Pursue:
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_2564
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_2671

Dawn Rover:
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_6271
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep DSC_3087

Taxa Cricket (Stock Photos):
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_0120
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_0121
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_0122

Even with the roof closed the interior height is taller than the Pursue and I am able to sit on the benches without hitting my head.

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Taxa Cricket (Stock Photos):

So many more options with the 4 door. The wife still dings me on the choice of a two door, and a manual at that. So tiny hauler is all I get.

I'm really a huge fan of the Cricket trailer. The designer from Nasa integrated a great bunch of usable details that I think really help the fun and functionality of the mini-home. Look forward to your thoughts after a few trips out.

:beer:

(Would this justify getting the 392?)

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
So many more options with the 4 door. The wife still dings me on the choice of a two door, and a manual at that. So tiny hauler is all I get.

I'm really a huge fan of the Cricket trailer. The designer from Nasa integrated a great bunch of usable details that I think really help the fun and functionality of the mini-home. Look forward to your thoughts after a few trips out.

:beer:

(Would this justify getting the 392?)
The 1800lb dry weight of the Cricket would be close but the loaded weight would be over. Have you looked at the Tiget Moth?

I am in a similar boat as you though, I would love to have the Mantis but it is a little too much for the 4 door. The Gladiator towed the Dawn fine except for gas mileage that could not be explained or resolved, which was one of the reasons to go back to the Wrangler. 6-8MPG was not worth it when the Wrangler could tow the Dawn at 11-14 MPG. You could tell the Dawn was at the limit of the Wrangler.
Sponsored