Sponsored

Pictures of camping with your Jeep

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Big fan of my iKamper, but keep in mind, the price tag does not stop at the rtt itself. We lasted all of one night on the mattresses and then bit the bullet and bought Exped's.

Happy with the Frontrunner rack over the Rhino + backbone also. It does sit a little higher, but I can fit a folding table under there and also mount my lightbar, which I really do not like sitting as low as the lightbar 'tand-alone' lightbar mounts have them.

Got lucky and snagged a spot at Yosemite for the night Friday...
Thanks!

I wouldn't be able to fit it attached to the jeep in my garage. Is it a huge hassle to keep taking it on and off with 2 people?
Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I have mine on the Frontrunner quick release mounts, so super easy to take off. I have a hoist but...it's been a slow year...so I haven't even taken it off yet.

lucyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S 2Door & 1993 Jeep XJ
I just installed my GFC Superlite RTT on my 2door JL with Gobi Rack. Did a short weekend in Malibu camping and I'm super happy with it. We had 55+mph gust winds and held up better than my other tents. Transition from two different Tepui models. Can't wait to go overlanding with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImagemOVmek
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep tempImageU6lW2z

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my GFC Superlite RTT on my 2door JL with Gobi Rack. Did a short weekend in Malibu camping and I'm super happy with it. We had 55+mph gust winds and held up better than my other tents. Transition from two different Tepui models. Can't wait to go overlanding with it.
tempImagemOVmek.jpg
tempImageU6lW2z.jpg
My 2022 list includes either a trailer with a tent mounted on it, or a RTT with of course a rack.

I'm postponing to 2022 since I have a month long Moab>Rubicon trip planned for this June.

I was looking at Tepui as the brand for my first purchase, curious which models you tried?

Last edited:

Sponsored

lucyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S 2Door & 1993 Jeep XJ
My 2022 list includes either a trailer with a tent mounted on it, or a RTT with of course a rack.

I'm postponing to 2022 since I have a month long Moab>Rubicon trip planned for June.

I was looking at Tepui as the brand for my first purchase, curious which models you tried?
Month long trip sounds amazing!

I had the Kukenam 3 and Low Pro 2. Kukenam 3 was spacious but bulky and heavy. Low Pro 2 was only 105 pounds but doesn't provide much head room. I been wanting to go a to clamshell design because it requires less foot print and faster setup time.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Month long trip sounds amazing!

I had the Kukenam 3 and Low Pro 2. Kukenam 3 was spacious but bulky and heavy. Low Pro 2 was only 105 pounds but doesn't provide much head room. I been wanting to go a to clamshell design because it requires less foot print and faster setup time.
Thanks, lots of ideas for 2022. The June trip to Moab>Rubicon is four weeks because I'm passing through some BOF areas, including Big Bear when I turn back to head east. Not sure where I'll pass through on my way from PA to UT.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I used to be one of those guys who would preach about how good coolers are... then I got a fridge and I look back on it and should have gotten one so much sooner. They are easier to deal with (no ice or timing of when to replenish), no extra work to prevent food from getting wet and there is a ton more cold space per how much the box takes up because you're not dealing with ice.

to answer your question, fridges can pull a decent amount of power at start up so you really want to run lower gauge wire to your 12v port you plug it into or run a dedicated outlet for it. ARB has a nice kit and isn't too expensive. The wires leading to the rear outlet are not a large enough wire to handle the surges the fridge can request. Its not expensive and if you don't want the 2nd 12v outlet you can just run wire or replace the stock outlet.

On my JK I had the outlet floating. I made a bottom for it and then had this outlet on a wire I could move into position or out of the way. On my JL I am going to do a compressor port back in the trunk and do a fridge outlet for it there too. I haven't done this yet, so I don't have any photos to share of the set up. I don't like there the factory outlet is because it impedes packing since the plug sticks a few inches out of the outlet.
I pack my ammo can below the outlet, it keeps my fridge just far enough away from the plug.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Way cool, I know what my next trailer build is now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 20190725_164614
Thanks Wkaz. I had a lot of fun building it. I put airbags (and shocks) under it in case I want to haul a load of rock or dirt.

Did you build the blue trailer?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
For those of you with the iKamper, was it a good overall purchase? .. Kind of a hard pill to swallow at $6000 and $2500 for the Rhino Rack.

These are Canadian prices.
Can get you this for around $2500 CAD from the manufacture (from China 'unfortunately') if you are willing to wait for shipping. Apparently the thinnest aluminum shell camper on the market, at only 8 inches. And can have roof racks mounted on top too due to aluminum's stiffness.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep BC98F342-BD20-465E-99C4-8B5FA1029F17

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep B6491C19-43B7-4B1E-A036-0164E5948A69

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 5520624B-3ACE-4EB2-B746-E2AAC81ED800

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 630BEE15-BFD8-4FBA-BEA1-C960D217D842

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep D11C2038-4B73-4E5B-9DB3-BF191D4A1CCA

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 2D381CBF-EFFE-4167-A392-8CB32228D07A

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep CB2287E7-58BB-44CE-B1B1-1D963C5A4CA4

Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Thanks Wkaz. I had a lot of fun building it. I put airbags (and shocks) under it in case I want to haul a load of rock or dirt.

Did you build the blue trailer?
Yes that was my pride and joy. Better than 2 pop ups and a 24 footer. Slept like a baby in it. With heavy heart I sold it fall of 2018.

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Can get you this for around $2500 CAD from the manufacture (from China 'unfortunately') if you are willing to wait for shipping. Apparently the thinnest aluminum shell camper on the market, at only 8 inches. And can have roof racks mounted on top too due to aluminum's stiffness.
I’m not super keen on getting something cheaper from China. If I’m going to spend $2500 might as well get something from a know brand, even if it’s $5-6k ... I’m the kinda guy that is willing to pay for quality and pay once and not worry about it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m not super keen on getting something cheaper from China. If I’m going to spend $2500 might as well get something from a know brand, even if it’s $5-6k ... I’m the kinda guy that is willing to pay for quality and pay once and not worry about it.
Understandable.
This is actually a fairly well known Australian (I think) company but I accidentally found out that they actually manufacture their camper in China, so don't want to drop names. But long story short, the same factory sells the exact same camper under different branding at significantly lower prices.
Either way, just an interesting piece of info I found.

Also, you'll find that some brands here in the US does the same.. Even Mopar themselves.. but, they'll hide that info from you, and you think you are paying for local..

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Understandable.
This is actually a fairly well known Australian (I think) company but I accidentally found out that they actually manufacture their camper in China, so don't want to drop names. But long story short, the same factory sells the exact same camper under different branding at significantly lower prices.
Either way, just an interesting piece of info I found.

Also, you'll find that some brands here in the US does the same.. Even Mopar themselves.. but, they'll hide that info from you, and you think you are paying for local..
Yeah I’ve herd that too.

I guess another concern is, how is the support for their RTT if they are no name made in China?

With getting something local (even if it’s made in China) I would probably have an easier time getting support, such as iKamper Canada.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
We were hit by a hail storm. You can see the ice behind the tent. I put a blanket over the bonnet to protect my Jeep. It got cold overnight and without the wet blanket it was hard to sleep!

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 20201008_172839
Sponsored

Last edited: