Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Camping at Joshua Tree NP. I think I finally perfected the Jeep camping setup.

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg
You are sleeping in your 2dr… ‘just how big a boy are you?’ . (A Roy D. Mercer reference)
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Actual pic, no filters or color enhancements.

21 miles up the mountain (Mormon wells area outside of Las Vegas). Had the mountain to ourselves and never saw another person for 48 hrs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep B0CE2A71-FBC0-4FC4-A53F-594351B374D5

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Out on the North West side of Lake Powell

That looks amazing!

When we camped like that at Comanche National Grasslands we didn't see the signs saying to camp at least 100 feet back from the rim. As a result we camped like you did and the wind in the middle of the night was frightening. Is it similar there?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
As a result we camped like you did and the wind in the middle of the night was frightening. Is it similar there?
Wind in Utah can vary, and seemingly for no reason. Two weeks ago we had very little wind at any of our camps but we've camped before on numerous trips where you couldn't do food prep or set up a tent because of the wind. My daughter usually uses that big orange tent that she got on sale but one trip we had to set up only a small 2 person backpacking tent because of the wind. We hunted around our site and found what we thought was the place with the least wind, we moved the Wrangler there and set up the tent right next to it. The next morning everything in the tent was light orange from the dust that was blown in overnight.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We usually take my Wrangler but she had just gotten the GC and wanted to try it out.

We did a couple of difficult obstacles and it survived, on its stock tires even.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep B0CE2A71-FBC0-4FC4-A53F-594351B374D5
My brother has a WK2 Trailhawk with the 5.7L V8. It's remarkably capable for what it is. I have, however, teased him about the potential repair bill if or when the fancy electronic suspension (which can adjust ride height, etc.) ever fails.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My brother has a WK2 Trailhawk with the 5.7L V8. It's remarkably capable for what it is. I have, however, teased him about the potential repair bill if or when the fancy electronic suspension (which can adjust ride height, etc.) ever fails.
When I bought my Wk2 a few years ago I purposely sought one without the air suspension for exactly that reason. It's actually pretty common for people to just rip out that system entirely when it inevitably breaks, and retrofit in a standard suspension. A few companies sell kits to do exactly that.
The biggest problem for the wk2 is it has zero flex, at all. And biggest tires you can run are 32" unless you wanna start sawing up your metal body.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
When I bought my Wk2 a few years ago I purposely sought one without the air suspension for exactly that reason. It's actually pretty common for people to just rip out that system entirely when it inevitably breaks, and retrofit in a standard suspension. A few companies sell kits to do exactly that.
The biggest problem for the wk2 is it has zero flex, at all. And biggest tires you can run are 32" unless you wanna start sawing up your metal body.
I contemplated buying one and putting in a real full-time lift and 32s. My daughter didn't want to get into it that much and she bought what she could find. In her area they are hard to find at reasonable prices, air suspension or not. She had contemplated buying one 1500 miles away and doing a long road trip to get it but she couldn't quite make the decision to do that.
She and I will do at least 2 more trip this year- one to Colorado when the higher elevation trails thaw out, and another Utah trip in the fall. We haven't planned when, where or which vehicle yet.

She also wants to take solo camping trips, or rather her and the dog. I helped her build a platform in the back to provide a full length sleeping surface. She hasn't been able to use it yet.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That looks amazing!

When we camped like that at Comanche National Grasslands we didn't see the signs saying to camp at least 100 feet back from the rim. As a result we camped like you did and the wind in the middle of the night was frightening. Is it similar there?
We had three nice nights there. There was also some nice trails to explore.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Does ’glamping’ count? I know… go ahead and toss me out of this thread. Wife won’t do tents anymore. Last week at Moab… JLR toad behind our Class C.

6E86E994-14C6-47D2-AD39-B0E7945CDC2C.jpeg

We camp this way all the time but we don't call it glamping. We take the Class C to the campground and spend most of the time outside of it. Its nice to have a good bed and on board bathroom. The extent of our electronics is phones and our JBL4 speaker to play music. We used the TV when the kids were your to through on a movie for them but otherwise we are always outside the camper.

We refer to glamping as to when you take the camper to the campground and never leave the inside and only spend your time glued to the TV.

Last edited:

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Camping in Canyonlands NP. I have to work on getting the Jeep setup/broken down in less than 25 minutes. It's just such a slow process to get the bed setup inside. There was also some rain so I had to tetris everything either in or under the Jeep when the rains hit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_1384

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_1381
Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep IMG_1391
Sponsored