Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It's long past time for visiting Dad on the shores of Superior. How is the fish fry?
Sadly we did not fish or do a fish fry. We usually do buy smoked fish, but didn't even do that this time.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The shore of Lake Superior.
1633257764372.png

1633257805501.png
This is much more my kinda location. It's weird to me that Jeepers seem to have an obsession with the desert, when forests and lakes are so much more pleasant.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
This is much more my kinda location. It's weird to me that Jeepers seem to have an obsession with the desert, when forests and lakes are so much more pleasant.
Black flies.

Mosquitoes.

Yeah, I like my desert/alpine desert camping. lol

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Love your pics and diner looked👌🏻

I really want to experience this area some day. What's the best time of year?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Honestly, now is a great time. It was lower-80s during the day, mid-40s to lower-50s overnight. Dead calm at night, little to no wind. In summer it gets extremely hot both day and night, so isn't much fun to camp then. In the winter, you'll get pretty cold and sometimes have snow, but it's not too bad if you're prepared for it.

The biggest issue here is the wind. Sometimes it can really get to ripping out there. I've been there on a late-spring night where it got 50mph gusts. No amount of guylines was going to get my tent to stay put, so ended up bailing to go stay in a hotel, ha. Keep an eye on the forecast when you're headed that way.

Fair warning, it does get a little crowded out there sometimes. And, likely due to people trashing the place and having wild parties and otherwise not being good stewards of the land, the BLM has just changed some of the camping rules. Camping is still free and doesn't require a permit (yet), but the areas where you can camp have been reduced. Here's the latest: https://www.blm.gov/visit/alabama-hills

That said, on the first night of the new rules, it was the quietest and most peaceful night I've had out there in a while. So, probably for the best.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You work with whatcha got. ;)

I love forests, but out here there's only so much of it available and it's often packed full of people. Campsites nearly on top of each other. Had that experience at Monache Meadows and did not enjoy it, even though it was a beautiful place. I like being alone where I can enjoy the peace and quiet, so I seek the solitude of the desert most of the time. There's much more of it and it's easier to get remote and off grid.

I really do miss the east coast forests, though. Green and lush, crisscrossed with little rivers and streams. Especially, the jungle-like hammocks of Florida where I grew up. But I sure don't miss the mosquitos that come with them, ha!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Honestly, now is a great time. It was lower-80s during the day, mid-40s to lower-50s overnight. Dead calm at night, little to no wind. In summer it gets extremely hot both day and night, so isn't much fun to camp then. In the winter, you'll get pretty cold and sometimes have snow, but it's not too bad if you're prepared for it.

The biggest issue here is the wind. Sometimes it can really get to ripping out there. I've been there on a late-spring night where it got 50mph gusts. No amount of guylines was going to get my tent to stay put, so ended up bailing to go stay in a hotel, ha. Keep an eye on the forecast when you're headed that way.

Fair warning, it does get a little crowded out there sometimes. And, likely due to people trashing the place and having wild parties and otherwise not being good stewards of the land, the BLM has just changed some of the camping rules. Camping is still free and doesn't require a permit (yet), but the areas where you can camp have been reduced. Here's the latest: https://www.blm.gov/visit/alabama-hills

That said, on the first night of the new rules, it was the quietest and most peaceful night I've had out there in a while. So, probably for the best.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Dcoury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Full time RVing, currently following the Great River Road ( Mississippi ) River. Currently stopped at Sleepy Hollow Campground near Fountain City Wisconsin. Started at Lake Itasca, headwaters for the Mississippi River.

6996CEBE-39FD-4510-85A3-A1E0F4486CBB.jpeg

Sponsored

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That sunset is spectacular

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Full time RVing, currently following the Great River Road ( Mississippi ) River. Currently stopped at Sleepy Hollow Campground near Fountain City Wisconsin. Started at Lake Itasca, headwaters for the Mississippi River.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pictures of camping with your Jeep 6996CEBE-39FD-4510-85A3-A1E0F4486CBB
Nice camping combo... Once our kids are grown, I can see us doing something similar...
Sponsored