Pictures of camping with your Jeep

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I'm planning a camping trip for the spring and came across this thread. I was curious about the refrigerated cooler. Does it need a constant power supply or just intermittent? Do you have it hooked up to the power supply in the back of the JL or are you powering it from somewhere else? You've got a good set-up!
Advertisement

brewski

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I'm planning a camping trip for the spring and came across this thread. I was curious about the refrigerated cooler. Does it need a constant power supply or just intermittent? Do you have it hooked up to the power supply in the back of the JL or are you powering it from somewhere else? You've got a good set-up!
I used to be one of those guys who would preach about how good coolers are... then I got a fridge and I look back on it and should have gotten one so much sooner. They are easier to deal with (no ice or timing of when to replenish), no extra work to prevent food from getting wet and there is a ton more cold space per how much the box takes up because you're not dealing with ice.

to answer your question, fridges can pull a decent amount of power at start up so you really want to run lower gauge wire to your 12v port you plug it into or run a dedicated outlet for it. ARB has a nice kit and isn't too expensive. The wires leading to the rear outlet are not a large enough wire to handle the surges the fridge can request. Its not expensive and if you don't want the 2nd 12v outlet you can just run wire or replace the stock outlet.

On my JK I had the outlet floating. I made a bottom for it and then had this outlet on a wire I could move into position or out of the way. On my JL I am going to do a compressor port back in the trunk and do a fridge outlet for it there too. I haven't done this yet, so I don't have any photos to share of the set up. I don't like there the factory outlet is because it impedes packing since the plug sticks a few inches out of the outlet.

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I used to be one of those guys who would preach about how good coolers are... then I got a fridge and I look back on it and should have gotten one so much sooner. They are easier to deal with (no ice or timing of when to replenish), no extra work to prevent food from getting wet and there is a ton more cold space per how much the box takes up because you're not dealing with ice.

to answer your question, fridges can pull a decent amount of power at start up so you really want to run lower gauge wire to your 12v port you plug it into or run a dedicated outlet for it. ARB has a nice kit and isn't too expensive. The wires leading to the rear outlet are not a large enough wire to handle the surges the fridge can request. Its not expensive and if you don't want the 2nd 12v outlet you can just run wire or replace the stock outlet.

On my JK I had the outlet floating. I made a bottom for it and then had this outlet on a wire I could move into position or out of the way. On my JL I am going to do a compressor port back in the trunk and do a fridge outlet for it there too. I haven't done this yet, so I don't have any photos to share of the set up. I don't like there the factory outlet is because it impedes packing since the plug sticks a few inches out of the outlet.
Thanks for the info, I like your idea for the trunk outlet. You'll have to put up a pic when you get it done!

RubiGrey

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
For those of you with the iKamper, was it a good overall purchase? .. Kind of a hard pill to swallow at $6000 and $2500 for the Rhino Rack.

These are Canadian prices.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you with the iKamper, was it a good overall purchase? .. Kind of a hard pill to swallow at $6000 and $2500 for the Rhino Rack.

These are Canadian prices.
I was at Mid Line Overland in West Chester, PA, picking up my Dometic fridge slider. They had an iKamper on display, $3,500 US. They know my 2022 list includes a roof rack and RTT. So they are looking into roof rack options, so I do my due diligence before shelling out for one.

Regarding powering a fridge, definitely want a dedicated battery. My fridge is a Dometic CFX3 35, and the battery is a Dometic PLB40. Power management throughout.

The battery supports charging while powering the fridge. Both the battery and fridge have low voltage cutoff, so no fear of draining your Jeep battery.

The battery also supports up to a 150W power inverter, so I bought a GoPower unit (pure sine wave).

Last edited:

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Big fan of my iKamper, but keep in mind, the price tag does not stop at the rtt itself. We lasted all of one night on the mattresses and then bit the bullet and bought Exped's.

Happy with the Frontrunner rack over the Rhino + backbone also. It does sit a little higher, but I can fit a folding table under there and also mount my lightbar, which I really do not like sitting as low as the lightbar 'tand-alone' lightbar mounts have them.

Got lucky and snagged a spot at Yosemite for the night Friday...

1614531406540.png

1614531422596.png

RubiGrey

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Big fan of my iKamper, but keep in mind, the price tag does not stop at the rtt itself. We lasted all of one night on the mattresses and then bit the bullet and bought Exped's.

Happy with the Frontrunner rack over the Rhino + backbone also. It does sit a little higher, but I can fit a folding table under there and also mount my lightbar, which I really do not like sitting as low as the lightbar 'tand-alone' lightbar mounts have them.

Got lucky and snagged a spot at Yosemite for the night Friday...
Thanks!

I wouldn't be able to fit it attached to the jeep in my garage. Is it a huge hassle to keep taking it on and off with 2 people?

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I have mine on the Frontrunner quick release mounts, so super easy to take off. I have a hoist but...it's been a slow year...so I haven't even taken it off yet.

lucyl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S 2Door & 1993 Jeep XJ
I just installed my GFC Superlite RTT on my 2door JL with Gobi Rack. Did a short weekend in Malibu camping and I'm super happy with it. We had 55+mph gust winds and held up better than my other tents. Transition from two different Tepui models. Can't wait to go overlanding with it.
tempImagemOVmek.jpg
tempImageU6lW2z.jpg

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my GFC Superlite RTT on my 2door JL with Gobi Rack. Did a short weekend in Malibu camping and I'm super happy with it. We had 55+mph gust winds and held up better than my other tents. Transition from two different Tepui models. Can't wait to go overlanding with it.
tempImagemOVmek.jpg
tempImageU6lW2z.jpg
My 2022 list includes either a trailer with a tent mounted on it, or a RTT with of course a rack.

I'm postponing to 2022 since I have a month long Moab>Rubicon trip planned for this June.

I was looking at Tepui as the brand for my first purchase, curious which models you tried?

Last edited:

lucyl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S 2Door & 1993 Jeep XJ
My 2022 list includes either a trailer with a tent mounted on it, or a RTT with of course a rack.

I'm postponing to 2022 since I have a month long Moab>Rubicon trip planned for June.

I was looking at Tepui as the brand for my first purchase, curious which models you tried?
Month long trip sounds amazing!

I had the Kukenam 3 and Low Pro 2. Kukenam 3 was spacious but bulky and heavy. Low Pro 2 was only 105 pounds but doesn't provide much head room. I been wanting to go a to clamshell design because it requires less foot print and faster setup time.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Month long trip sounds amazing!

I had the Kukenam 3 and Low Pro 2. Kukenam 3 was spacious but bulky and heavy. Low Pro 2 was only 105 pounds but doesn't provide much head room. I been wanting to go a to clamshell design because it requires less foot print and faster setup time.
Thanks, lots of ideas for 2022. The June trip to Moab>Rubicon is four weeks because I'm passing through some BOF areas, including Big Bear when I turn back to head east. Not sure where I'll pass through on my way from PA to UT.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

I pack my ammo can below the outlet, it keeps my fridge just far enough away from the plug.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Way cool, I know what my next trailer build is now.

20190725_164614.jpg
Thanks Wkaz. I had a lot of fun building it. I put airbags (and shocks) under it in case I want to haul a load of rock or dirt.

Did you build the blue trailer?

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement