Sponsored

Pics of Sport S with 285/70/17 tires on stock wheels?

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

Really curious to hear more about your experience with the change in braking feel. Does it take longer to stop? Have your brakes worn out faster? Thatā€™s my main issue thatā€™s making me hesitant about getting this size tire
I wouldnā€™t say I noticed a difference in stopping length, Iā€™m sure there is an increase but not obvious in driving, more of a ā€œheavierā€ feel when braking and steering. After a day or two you donā€™t notice anymore, I never think about it now and enjoy how the jeep rides. As far as brake wear I havenā€™t had to replace yet and I am at about 30K, I imagine driving style and conditions may impact this more.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Really curious to hear more about your experience with the change in braking feel. Does it take longer to stop? Have your brakes worn out faster? Thatā€™s my main issue thatā€™s making me hesitant about getting this size tire

Mine did. I went from the stock donuts to 285ā€™s. It takes more pedal travel to achieve the same braking force with more noticeable fade (non HD brakes). I got brake effectiveness back by going with Hawk pads and rotors.

It was by no means to the point of loosing trust in the brakes, but there was a noticeable difference in stopping power.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
@erickdiaz019 - did the upgraded spare clear the rear bumper?

Sponsored

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

Mine did. I went from the stock donuts to 285ā€™s. It takes more pedal travel to achieve the same braking force with more noticeable fade (non HD brakes). I got brake effectiveness back by going with Hawk pads and rotors.

It was by no means to the point of loosing trust in the brakes, but there was a noticeable difference in stopping power.
Thatā€™s a fair point, I have the HD brakes that came with the tow package.

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s a fair point, I have the HD brakes that came with the tow package.
I wasnt aware HD brakes came as part of the tow package. I have 19 Sport with tow package and pretty sure I donā€™t have HD brakes as itā€™s not listed on the sticker. Not sure how to confirm that through on the Jeep itself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I wasnt aware HD brakes came as part of the tow package. I have 19 Sport with tow package and pretty sure I dont have HD brakes as itā€™s not listening the sticker. Not sure how to confirm that through on thr Jeep itself .
I also have a 2019 Sport with tow package. HD brakes were not included with the tow package. Below is a screen shot of the 2019 order guide.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of Sport S with 285/70/17 tires on stock wheels? Tow Package

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

I wasnt aware HD brakes came as part of the tow package. I have 19 Sport with tow package and pretty sure I donā€™t have HD brakes as itā€™s not listed on the sticker. Not sure how to confirm that through on the Jeep itself.
You are correct, looking back the HD brakes were part of the Optional Equipment Customer Preferred Package 24W, apologies for the confusion.

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, looking back the HD brakes were part of the Optional Equipment Customer Preferred Package 24W, apologies for the confusion.
Iā€™m due for brakes soon anyway and thinking of upgrading to the HD brakes to match up with the 33ā€™s. Are they still available as a kit ?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Honestly, $1700 (on sale) is a bit much for what you get. Iā€™ve had both the basic and HD brakes. Between the basic brakes on 33ā€™s and HD brakes on 31ā€™s there was a noticeable difference, but not substantial. Though, when I did the brakes on my basic JLU with Hawk LTS pads and Hawk Talon front rotors, it perked up braking force to what the HD brakes were. That said, the LTS pads are soft, dirty, and were noisy for a while. The rotors are also soft, and will have to be changed with the pads. IIRC it was $500 for everything front and rear. But thatā€™s $500 each brake job. And thatā€™s still using the smaller rotors with less potential heat dissipation.

Iā€™m on standard brakes with 110 pound 35ā€ KM3ā€™s, and I havenā€™t had a problem with brake fade, even from highway panic stops, but thatā€™s probably because Iā€™m an idiot and put Hawk Talon drilled/ slotted rotors on the front of a 4x4. Good for street use, but they have the potential to hold mud and reduce brake force on the trail. I havenā€™t had that though, other than a moment of slip which Iā€™ve felt on any disc brake submerged in water. YMMV.

Given the cost of the Mopar HD brakes ($2400ā€¦.or $1700 on sale) Iā€™d do the Hawks again. If I felt like spending a couple grand, Iā€™d spend a bit more and get brembo/ wilwood (if you have big wheels) or Teraflex. My next set of axles will be using Teraflex.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of Sport S with 285/70/17 tires on stock wheels? {filename}
Sponsored