Sponsored

Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup?

Nations

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Granite Crystal Metallic Rubicon XR
Occupation
IT
I went with the Grimm Offroad winch plate and the Apex Badland winch. I liked the Grimm Offroad plate because it's a single piece and pretty damn thick. It was also cheaper than Warn or Maximus-3.

It sits *right* up against my grill, so I had to relocate the power cable, and I needed to get longer bolts to get the hawse fairlead cover on, but otherwise pretty smooth.

The bar is the Rockhard4x4. It came with my bumper - I really like the shape/angle, but strongly dislike the coating - it's got a sheen that the bumper doesn't, but it hasn't bothered me enough to shell out another ~$150 to swap it for a different one.

PXL_20230114_202005316.jpg
I have the badland winch mid-install and the cabling is so tight against the grill that I am having a hard time getting the winch in place to screw in the bolts from the bottom. Can you explain how you rerouted the power cables? That may be my best options

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I have the badland winch mid-install and the cabling is so tight against the grill that I am having a hard time getting the winch in place to screw in the bolts from the bottom. Can you explain how you rerouted the power cables? That may be my best options
Sure - just remove the covers on the top. Once you do, you'll see you can easily drill a hole in the side of the top cover to point the cable out from the side vs rear.

Go slow. You'll need to remove the bolts holding the top cover first, but it won't move until you remove the smaller side cover. From there, loosen the nuts holding the three metal prongs on, and remove the whole thing. Go slow and take pictures as you go so you can put it all back together

Nations

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Sure - just remove the covers on the top. Once you do, you'll see you can easily drill a hole in the side of the top cover to point the cable out from the side vs rear.

Go slow. You'll need to remove the bolts holding the top cover first, but it won't move until you remove the smaller side cover. From there, loosen the nuts holding the three metal prongs on, and remove the whole thing. Go slow and take pictures as you go so you can put it all back together
Thanks so much for the information. Will try this weekend!

Nations

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Warn Evo 10S with bulldog winch plate. No need for spacers at all. Warn mid-height winch guard.

I wasn’t crazy about how the frame rails show a lot behind the bumper. So I took the front bumper rear finishing panel from a plastic bumper and cut it to shape around the winch and installed it… Looks much better and well finished.
2D6F0FC3-BD55-402D-B3C1-E12826C3BD1E.jpeg

0D4EA222-7051-4890-846F-44FB74DB9A87.jpeg

67442BEE-9F2C-4D0F-BCBA-CD6C0E84719F.jpeg

0C91240A-138D-4DE9-9D99-9F0B05AF89A3.jpeg
Hello, Where did you get the front bumper rear finishing panel? Is it something that can be ordered?

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
When I got the Steel bumper, I sold my plastic one but kept the finishing panel.

But you can certainly buy it from the parts departement. I believe Mopar part number is: 6MA00TRMAA quitre a few of them on ebay too...

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Mopar grill/winch guard. Warn Zeon Platinum 12-S winch. Maximus-3 winch plate. Cascadia4x4 LED fairlead. Factor 55 Ultrahook. Maximus-3 bumper filler trim plates. Maximus-3 stealth license plate bracket. Rigid Adapt 10" light bar. Two Rigid D-SS Sideshooter cube lights

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? IMG_7878.JPEG

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the group. I just had the Mopar steel bumper for my JLUR installed with the Warn winch sold by Jeep. I just picked the Jeep up and noticed bolt holes around the top of the bumper around the winch. Every picture I've seen has the black screw in those holes. Is my bumper missing something or just the screws that go in those holes?

Also, the winch cable opening on the front has the beveled opening piece but then it is just attached to the bumper and there are bolt holes on either side. Pics I've seen has that piece attached to a black cover that is attached to the bumper. Am I missing the winch opening plate?

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Missing Parts on bumper

Last edited:

Nations

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Missing Parts on bumper
Badland Apex 12k winch on the Maximus-3 mounting plate. The only issue I ran into was the clutch running into winch guard and bumper turning to freespool. Took the clutch off, used an angle grinder to re shape it then cleaned it up with a sanding wheel.
I have the same issue with the handle clearance with my Badland Apex winch with the steel OEM bumper...and this is with spacers installed. How much did you have to remove off the handle? Does the handle come off? Thanks in advance.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
I installed my BADLAND APEX 12K# winch on the MAXIMUS-3 JL winch plate on the OEM steel bumper. I used the Rugged Ridge JK 3/4 inch spacers with my Badland APEX 12K# install. I needed 4 M10 1.50 50mm bolts with the supplied square nuts that came with the winch to work with the spacers. The holes lined up perfectly and my clutch handle clears the bumper with no need for grinding. TIP use painters tape to hold the nuts inside the winch and to hold the spacers in place. You can easily tear tape out later or leave it since it won't be seen when the bumper is back on.

However, my Mopar winch guard interferes with the clutch handle so I did not reinstall the winch guard. QUESTION Can anyone with the Badland APEX 12K# confirm that the Warn low range bar works with the Badland APEX 12K# clutch handle without having to modify it?
SCROLL for more pics and details

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Clutch handle clears bumper 20230212_130546

I also did the power relocation modification as seen below. TIP stuff towels anywhere that bolts might disappear into Jeep "never never land never to be seen again". Just in case you drop one into the winch motor area. Take lots of pictures if you do this mod to see how things go back together. There are also 4 small spacers that go on 4 of the screws, easy to lose, and take note where they go back on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Power out the side 20230212_130552

I installed the Maximus-3 hook anchors along with the Badland fairlead. This required two M12 1.75 X 50mm bolts. I used grade 10.9 bolts and torqued to 65 ft lbs. TIP when you reinstall the cover bolts onto the bumper, do it before you put the bumper back on, otherwise you won't be able to get that middle bolt in front of the DL in BADLAND secured into the hole.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Fairlead and Maximus-3 hook anchor 20230212_130536

I also decided not to use the included power disconnect switch and went with the Warn winch solenoid kit
WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit with Battery Lead, Hardware, Solenoid, Switch and Wiring
I cut a small piece off an aluminum perforated angle iron to use for a mounting bracket, ground the rough edges smooth, shot it with some black rattle can paint and used two existing holes to mount the solenoid (I had to supply one of the 10mm bolts, the other was already there). TIP - Mount the solenoid to the bracket then hook all wires to the solenoid then mount the bracket to the body. BONUS - my redline tuning hood struts do not get in the way. I have the factory aux switches and used aux 3 to control the solenoid. I originally mounted the solenoid to a bolt above the firewall but decided I liked this location better. That is a small piece of old bicycle tire tube I cut to put between the bracket and the body.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Warn Solenoid to aux 3 20230212_130729

Last edited:

Sponsored

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Question for the group. I just had the Mopar steel bumper for my JLUR installed with the Warn winch sold by Jeep. I just picked the Jeep up and noticed bolt holes around the top of the bumper around the winch. Every picture I've seen has the black screw in those holes. Is my bumper missing something or just the screws that go in those holes?

Also, the winch cable opening on the front has the beveled opening piece but then it is just attached to the bumper and there are bolt holes on either side. Pics I've seen has that piece attached to a black cover that is attached to the bumper. Am I missing the winch opening plate?

Thanks
Missing Parts on bumper.jpg
Those bolts are part of the oem steel bumper and get reused after the winch hole cover is removed. Your installer should have put them back in before remounting the bumper. And yes there should be bolts in the fairlead plate beneath the Warn fairlead. They should have come with your winch mounting plate. I would go back to the installer (assuming you did not DIY) and question this. Might want to take a look at how they ran your cables to the battery, given they took these shortcuts. Make sure they don't interfere with moving parts, like the sway bar disconnect if you have it, or touch hot surfaces. I followed the foglight wiring above the frame for my cables to the battery.

EDIT: I just realized the picture is not your installation. If you only have the fairlead and no plate behind it, yes you are missing something. Even the picture you used has the fairlead plate but the bolts for it are missing. Post up a picture of your installation, maybe we can give more guidance. Definitely go back to your installer, it appears they took some shortcuts.

Last edited:

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? Warn Solenoid to aux 3 20230212_130729
I've never heard of a Warn winch sold by Jeep.

But as for your questions, that would be a yes to both questions.

The black bolts were in the steel bumper originally, to hold the winch hole cover plate in place. Once removing the steel plate, most people reinstall those bolts back into the bumper to fill the holes. It's purely cosmetic.

You are missing the fairlead plate that goes between the fairlead and the bumper. That would not pass the acceptance criteria for me.

Edit: Dang it, @NULL POINTER beat me to it. Upon zooming, I see the plate is there, but as he mentioned, it's missing the bolts.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
I formed the cable a bit and clamped it in place on my first install -

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? 20201015_170039_HDR

Then when I moved things to my next Jeep, it was a bit closer due to a different winch plate so I moved the cable to out the end of the cover - ignore that silver #9 wire in the bottom photo, it's hold the end of the rope up out of the way while I was working on things.
I can be a bit of a klutz so I taped the bottom of the grill in case I bumped it setting the winch in place.
I used a solid grommet (no hole) to plug the original cable hole in the back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? 20220810_102016_HDR
Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of oem Mopar Steel bumper with winch setup? 20220824_144945

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard of a Warn winch sold by Jeep.

But as for your questions, that would be a yes to both questions.

The black bolts were in the steel bumper originally, to hold the winch hole cover plate in place. Once removing the steel plate, most people reinstall those bolts back into the bumper to fill the holes. It's purely cosmetic.

You are missing the fairlead plate that goes between the fairlead and the bumper. That would not pass the acceptance criteria for me.

Edit: Dang it, @NULL POINTER beat me to it. Upon zooming, I see the plate is there, but as he mentioned, it's missing the bolts.
Yes, dealer had the entire setup put together on display for a great price installed. The Warn winch actually says RUBICON on it on the front left side. I don't know if it was a specialty run for the Rubicon or if they just affixed a plate to it. I'll try and get a pic.

I picked it up at dusk and the next day noticed the bolts missing and the filler plate missing.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Has anybody done this with a Warn winch? I plan to reinstall on my new XR, but I really don’t want the wires mashed against my grill, and I don't want buck for the Zeon even though it has bus bars…
Sponsored