First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

All -

A roof rack is on my near-term mod radar and I want something that can hold some weight (could have used it today...) Dig the Maximus-3 system. However Im not sure I'd want to leave the rack on all the time. Does anyone have pictures of the roof with rack removed so I can see the aesthetics of the mounting points. Thanks much.
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have that system with the 6ft Pioneer rack.
I wondered the same thing before I got it. You won’t want to remove it. It’s a pain in the ass and not really designed for that.
But if you do, the brackets come completely off leaving only 8 holes that you can nut/bolt to seal with sealing washers.
Removing the top WITH the rack on is doable and just a little extra work after practice with the right tool. I have only found one tool to do it effectively. See my other post on it.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I have that system with the 6ft Pioneer rack.
I wondered the same thing before I got it. You won’t want to remove it. It’s a pain in the ass and not really designed for that.
But if you do, the brackets come completely off leaving only 8 holes that you can nut/bolt to seal with sealing washers.
Removing the top WITH the rack on is doable and just a little extra work after practice with the right tool. I have only found one tool to do it effectively. See my other post on it.
Thanks for the reply....What makes it a PITA to get off? Just hard to get at the fasteners?

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
To remove just the rack and leave the hardtop on I suppose that you could undo the bolts that’s fasten the top mounts to the bottom mounts from the inside. There is not enough room up top to access anything. Install the bolts,washers and nuts to seal the holes.
Again it’s not really designed to be removed that way. It’s hard to put into text. You’d need to see the setup live and actually try to do it.
I had the same concerns you describe. But once I had the system mounted and recognized how low profile and decent looking the system is I let it go.
I use the platform all the time for a RTT and carrying various cargo. It’s a very rigid system and can take a decent load.

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
To remove just the rack and leave the hardtop on I suppose that you could undo the bolts that’s fasten the top mounts to the bottom mounts from the inside. There is not enough room up top to access anything. Install the bolts,washers and nuts to seal the holes.
Again it’s not really designed to be removed that way. It’s hard to put into text. You’d need to see the setup live and actually try to do it.
I had the same concerns you describe. But once I had the system mounted and recognized how low profile and decent looking the system is I let it go.
I use the platform all the time for a RTT and carrying various cargo. It’s a very rigid system and can take a decent
Thanks for the reply....What makes it a PITA to get off? Just hard to get at the fasteners?
if you mean just to get the top off with the rack as intended; it’s just difficult to get at the fasteners that hold the upper and lower parts of the brackets. It’s very tight. You could use a wrench but a ratchet barely fits in there and doesn’t have the resolution/enough teeth to work it proper.

Sponsored

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Pics of Maximus 3 Roof Rack 61912319968__181C0BD7-CA83-4403-B728-8A27928E518D.JPG

My maximus-3 setup has worked out great so far. I take the top off which is a little bit more involved now but doable. After fighting with the front mounts trying to take it off for the first time I find it much easier to spend a couple min to just drop the soundbar. I would recommend using loctite on the slats the bolts needed to be re tightened after a couple hundred miles.