Sponsored

Picking up new JKU tomorrow. Any items I should get right away?

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
If the Jeep is gonna be a road jeep you dont need anything.
I agree with this comment. I very rarely take my JLUR off road and bought it more for looks and the topless/doorless experience. If you are not planning on taking it off the beaten path, you don’t need much regardless of the trim you buy.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I would highly recommend getting some additional reverse lighting as the factory rev lights are garbage. There are lots of threads on various options, Oracle Lighting has some new LEDs that replace the red reflectors, I personally installed some Rigid Ignites in my plastic bumper so they come on when in reverse and can turn on manually with AUX 4 if needed - works great. Lots of options but you’ll definitely need more light in the back (also pick up a Brawlee for your lift gate while you’re at it)! Enjoy your new Jeep!
I put a preorder in for the Oracles. How did you wire your ignites to operate in reverse AND with the auxiliary switch. When using the auxiliary switch are the factory backup lights also activated? Thx

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
It's a special edition for the 80th anniversary.

It took me reading a couple of posts to realize my mistake. I keep getting the JK and JL mixed up.
Understandable mistake, but now you may have people worried.
The special edition 80th Anniversary Wranglers are 2021, not 2020 nor are they Sahara models. They are actually Sport S if you look at the window sticker. Just want to make sure you have your facts right and some shifty salesman didn't feed you a bunch of bull to make a sale.

OP
OP
wchevron

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Understandable mistake, but now you may have people worried.
The special edition 80th Anniversary Wranglers are 2021, not 2020 nor are they Sahara models. They are actually Sport S if you look at the window sticker. Just want to make sure you have your facts right and some shifty salesman didn't feed you a bunch of bull to make a sale.
Sorry for any confusion. Was just making a joke. It's a 2020 JLU Sahara. When I first started looking at the site a month or so ago, I kept saying to myself, What is a JKUS, what's a JLUR vs a JLR. Eventually figured it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wchevron

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the rubber mats and door sill guards are musts.

If you are going to be driving a lot in the rain, you may also want to consider a set of splash guards. I went with the Mopars; they help retain the factory look —see below.

Having said that, the Sahara side steps do a pretty good job doubling to protect the sides of the Jeep from flying rock, debris and water.

You may also want to get a set of five (5) wheel locks.

7357069B-64C1-4880-8795-8EDB82989111.jpeg
Who did you go with for the door sill guards?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
I put a preorder in for the Oracles. How did you wire your ignites to operate in reverse AND with the auxiliary switch. When using the auxiliary switch are the factory backup lights also activated? Thx
Used this diode. Tapped the reverse wire from the rear trailer harness (if you don’t have the tow package you’ll have to tap the rev wire behind one of the tail lights) and ran that as diode input 1, Aux4 factory wire in the engine bay is diode input 2, then ran the output wire to the lights. I installed the diode and connections under the hood next to the battery, and ran the loomed wires to/from the rear through the passenger-side frame rail (leave some slack/extra wire to accommodate any future lifts/mods just in case). The diode ensures no backfeed, so the factory rev lights do not come on when using Aux4. The extra light in back is well worth the work - prob about 2 or 3 hrs to complete. Good luck!

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I have a set of WeatherTech floor mats and cargo area mat. Expensive but high quality. There are other brands that are probably cheaper and similar quality, but WT has done a great job for the 3 other vehicles I've used them in, plus 3 of my family's vehicles so I give them my business for every car I will own.

I think the Quadratec sill guards are a good idea and they're on my wish list.

Other than that, I haven't bought anything other than a soft top - I run a hard top in winter and a soft the other 2-1/2 seasons. You already have the side step, so you don't need to go buy one (the Sport/S don't come with anything).

One thing I do keep in every car is an emergency kit that has jumper cables, flash light, small amounts of first aid, etc. I bought mine at Costco for like $30 and they stay in every car. I've used the jumper cables at least a half dozen times over the last few years to help coworkers and random folks who had dead batteries so it's definitely worth having something. I also keep a quart of oil and a gallon of windshield washer fluid secured with bungee cords in every car too in case I need them.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Used this diode. Tapped the reverse wire from the rear trailer harness (if you don’t have the tow package you’ll have to tap the rev wire behind one of the tail lights) and ran that as diode input 1, Aux4 factory wire in the engine bay is diode input 2, then ran the output wire to the lights. I installed the diode and connections under the hood next to the battery, and ran the loomed wires to/from the rear through the passenger-side frame rail (leave some slack/extra wire to accommodate any future lifts/mods just in case). The diode ensures no backfeed, so the factory rev lights do not come on when using Aux4. The extra light in back is well worth the work - prob about 2 or 3 hrs to complete. Good luck!
Thank you much - this is the solution I was looking for but didn’t know how to accomplish. Thanks again!

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with the you don't NEED anything crowd here. Had mine a year and 22k miles and the factory floor mats look just fine still. I had the Quadratec ones in my JK and they were great but living in a drier climate, didn't bother this time and no regrets there. Same with the sill guards, if you aren't going to be stomping rocks off on them, you don't really need guards even if they do look pretty good on there.

I'd get it and drive it for a while and see what you like and don't like first, one of the greatest things about getting a Jeep is the ability to really customize it to what you or the family like.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Floor mats a must steps. My door we didn't have them and added the steps to the 4 door, helps with some of the road crap from spraying up on the side.