Sponsored

Picking up JLUS today in ATL, break end question

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
As title says, picking up JLUS today in ATL and then have a 6 hour drive home. I usually keep it easy for the first 1,000 miles, but will not be the case this trip. Any tips on what to avoid since I am pretty much hopping in the expressway as soon as I leave the dealership?
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Take an hour and inspect your vehicle for any flaws including a short test drive, then read the owners manual section for Break in of the vehicle...

OP
OP

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
Sorry, don’t see an option for editing title. Damn voice to text.

will be spending about an hour checking it over. This is a replacement for my 18 JL that was totaled.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my JL in Salt Lake City and drove it home 1,000 miles in WA. I avoided over-revving the motor, stomping on the gas, and kept my speed below 80 MPH.

Good luck!

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If I am recalling correctly without going to look (you can verify numbers), per the manual they want the first 350 miles at 50-55mph or below with varying speeds.

I try my best on the way home as a prior engine builder, though the engine cylinder walls are mostly broken in on startup of modern engines, I still like to manually downshift and use the engine to slow the vehicle. I especially like long downhill slopes where I can get the rpms around 3k rpms or a bit higher coasting downhill. This manifold vacuum expands the piston rings against the cylinder walls and assists/accelerates break-in giving a good cutting of the peaks, leaving the necessary valleys that hold just enough oil on the cylinder wall to prevent excessive wear. I’ve never had an oil consumption usage issue on the many new vehicles I purchase but I probably wouldn’t anyway. It’s a personal preference based on what I know and want.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
My break-in process has served me well over many vehicles. I have never had any burn abnormal amounts of oil, even ones that are prone to it (e.g. Ford 5.2L Voodoo engines, Subaru 2.0L Turbo engines, etc.). The process isn't at odds with the manual.

The procedure seeks to minimize idling and coasting for the first ~500 miles. Once at operating temperature, I go from ~40 to ~60 to ~40 in 3rd, then 4th, then 5th, over and over again; always on throttle or engine braking. The key is to keep the engine always in compression or vacuum. I didn't go anywhere without varying the RPM from ~1500 to ~4000 over and over for thr first 500 miles.
Sponsored