Sponsored

Picking up JL Rubicon tomorrow- What can I expect?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
So maybe I should have stayed manual. We go into the mountains a lot from low altitude Arizona. With the 6 speed I had in the JL Sport, it was living hell going uphill or passing cars. I would have to downshift two gears for any power and it still wasn’t like what I get now with the automatic. It would jerk the wife awake which wasn’t pleasant. So that apparently isn’t your experience? Or you don’t have a wife?
I am married, but the transmission is really smooth. HOWEVER, I do live in Florida and on the coast, so there are no hills to speak of. Everything is pretty easy going around these parts.
Sponsored

softwaregeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
You will notice a significant difference in the way it drives. The older JKs were dogs to drive on the Highway and not suited too good for Road Trips. Drove from Long Island to Baltimore couple of times in JKU as my Rental Car and I was always tired because that thing would struggle to hold Highway Speeds on I-95 (about 75MPH or 120 KMPH). Did the same run in the JLU and it was a huge difference. That 8 speed makes it day and night. I believe it is now considered one of the best Automatics in the Automotive Industry right now.

Put up your build sheet or sticker here while you are at it and join the club! Here is my PDF build sheet from July 2019 as a reference. I got almost everything in my JLUR except for the ACC. Mine was one of the first 2020's to have rolled off the assembly line.
My new JLR is expected in this week. Trading in my 2017 JK Sport S, which we absolutely love. Already have a garage full of mods ready to install once I pick the new one up :)

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Agree with most comments mentioned above. Picked up my 2 dr jlr and had to let air out of tires, had42lbs, dropped to 32. Had to re seat 90 percent fuses. FYI if you have the 8.4 nav system check it out for operation. My lat,lg,alt and gps, did not work and the satellite radio cuts in and out. Get noted right away on delivery. Other than that enjoy.

32 cold was the sweet spot for my 2 door as well.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
So maybe I should have stayed manual. We go into the mountains a lot from low altitude Arizona. With the 6 speed I had in the JL Sport, it was living hell going uphill or passing cars. I would have to downshift two gears for any power and it still wasn’t like what I get now with the automatic. It would jerk the wife awake which wasn’t pleasant. So that apparently isn’t your experience? Or you don’t have a wife?
I have a wife and try not to be a jerk ;), but I have obviously failed at that over 22 years or marriage. When I drive from Tucson to Flagstaff I sometimes go into 4th gear up that hill past Bumblebee Rd and the Sunset Point Rest stop when heading North. I think the 6-speed is a far different experience in the Rubicon.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
LOL They're both interchangeable as the result of a new Jeep (or each other)!
In some parts of the world this is true.

Over here when a man has a Jeep, he naturally becomes playfully mean and intentionally denies and withholds the sex from the woman. Flash the woman and then say

Not tonight woman, I’m not busy but you haven’t earned it
In this primitive carnal denial, the woman begins to long, crave and yearn for the sex before she finally succumbs to her urges and gives up the booty (in dollars) and the physical booty to the said man.

The look below means he’s going to get some love and some money for Jeep parts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Picking up JL Rubicon tomorrow- What can I expect? 1617075523193

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thx1158

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
Well...due to hail storms and the railroad....I finally DO pick up my new Rubicon today. I have already had the "discussion" on fuses, air pressure and dealer stickers....LOL. My parts pile has been growing and finally I can park the JL next to my wife's Disco 5. Thanks for all the responses I appreciate the group.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Well...due to hail storms and the railroad....I finally DO pick up my new Rubicon today. I have already had the "discussion" on fuses, air pressure and dealer stickers....LOL. My parts pile has been growing and finally I can park the JL next to my wife's Disco 5. Thanks for all the responses I appreciate the group.
Congrats!!!

Sponsored

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Pics....or we will not believe you..

OP
OP
Thx1158

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USMC

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I picked up my first Wrangler on Friday.

Yep, getting waved at all over the place. Worse than riding the Harley. :CWL:
I drove a city bus for and waved at every fn bus for 32 years.😅
I retire in 2018 and unbeknownst to me, buy a Jeep ....I'm fn waving again.......😃🗽

OP
OP
Thx1158

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USMC
Jeep Wrangler JL Picking up JL Rubicon tomorrow- What can I expect? FF70A4A1-67BA-464C-83BB-2D474E2D5742
Sponsored