Sponsored

Picking out 2019 or 2020 Rubicon

Niprut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Cruiser, Tundra
I am in the early stages of trading in for a 2019 or 2020 Rubi. I love the idea of the Sky one-touch top and am 99% sure that is a "must have" for me. I test drove a 2020 Rubi yesterday with the 2.0 turbo and 8 speed auto tranny. Seems like most of the Jeeps I am looking at in my area have that engine. The one I drove had nearly every other package available and drove really good. I was less than impressed with the salesman, but guess I shouldn't be shocked that he didn't know squat about the options, colors available, really anything. All that to say, it looks like ordering exactly what I want is the best option. Any advice? Should I drive another one with the 3.6L V6 for comparison purposes? I am undecided on exterior color.

Fall is coming and I can just imagine driving around town with the family with the top open, rear quarter panels removed, and big smiles on our faces.
Sponsored

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
Should I drive another one with the 3.6L V6 for comparison purposes? I am undecided on exterior color.
I would.

Also, not sure how true this is... A local dealer (Long Island NY) told me that he cannot order a Wrangler with the 3.6 unless it is a customer order. He told me if he puts a name on the order, it will go through, but is discouraged to do so if it is not for a real customer.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely recommend driving the 3.6 to compare, better to know you made the right choice for you rather than live with the "what if".

I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I went with the ordering option for a 2020, and so glad I did. The entire process for me took almost exactly a month, from order date to delivery to the dealer. Your mileage may vary but as long as you can wait 4-6 weeks and not go crazy (it was a struggle for me), then I would order exactly what you want and have no regrets.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am in the early stages of trading in for a 2019 or 2020 Rubi. I love the idea of the Sky one-touch top and am 99% sure that is a "must have" for me. I test drove a 2020 Rubi yesterday with the 2.0 turbo and 8 speed auto tranny. Seems like most of the Jeeps I am looking at in my area have that engine. The one I drove had nearly every other package available and drove really good. I was less than impressed with the salesman, but guess I shouldn't be shocked that he didn't know squat about the options, colors available, really anything. All that to say, it looks like ordering exactly what I want is the best option. Any advice? Should I drive another one with the 3.6L V6 for comparison purposes? I am undecided on exterior color.

Fall is coming and I can just imagine driving around town with the family with the top open, rear quarter panels removed, and big smiles on our faces.
I own and love the 2.0T and would buy it again. Saying that my preferences are not yours. You owe it to yourself to test drive the 3.6. Good Luck.

OP
OP

Niprut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Cruiser, Tundra
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll go drive a 3.6 to compare. Definitely leaning towards ordering vs trying to find one already out there. I can wait but I'm sure I'll be antsy. The one I drove yesterday had the saddle brown leather interior and it looked much better in person than pics I have seen online, IMO.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If you go the ordering route, make sure the salesman submits it to the factory as a "sold order". They sometimes don't know better and forget to change it from the default "dealer order". Sold orders get priority status over dealer orders, but wait times will vary depending on too many factors to list. Its well worth the wait to get exactly what you want and to have the window sticker say "This vehicle especially made for your name".

Welcome to the community and congrats on your pending smile maker!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Test drive the v-6 and remember if your off-roading it the 2.0 had a third battery that sits low against the frame rail. Just another expense to think bout changing later on. And if you wait two more months than the 3.0 diesel will be available as well

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Test drive the v-6 and remember if your off-roading it the 2.0 had a third battery that sits low against the frame rail. Just another expense to think bout changing later on. And if you wait two more months than the 3.0 diesel will be available as well
No 3rd battery with the turbo. It has 2 just like the v6. The 2nd battery (48V) for the turbo sits higher up on the chassis and has a dedicated skid plate that is 2 inches higher the the fuel tanks skid plate. To damage that on the trail would also include significant damage to the fuel tank and rear driveshaft.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Definitely drive both engine options back to back. Like someone else stated, you don't want to "wonder" what the 3.6 felt like later on.

Get what you want with ALL the options you want. I looked for months at the 2019's. My wish list was not available so I ordered my 2020 JLRU. Turns out, my dealership honored the computer glitches initially showing the 8 spd. auto transmission only being a $1500 option instead of the $2500 option on my window sticker. So, the 2020 model was cheaper for me than the 2019! Maybe you will get lucky as well.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
No 3rd battery with the turbo. It has 2 just like the v6. The 2nd battery (48V) for the turbo sits higher up on the chassis and has a dedicated skid plate that is 2 inches higher the the fuel tanks skid plate. To damage that on the trail would also include significant damage to the fuel tank and rear driveshaft.
The 2020 Rubicon 2.0l does not have the 48v pack and the iTorque BSG. The iTorque is only avail on the Sahara in 2020. It may have the little battery though like the 3.6.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020 Rubicon 2.0l does not have the 48v pack and the iTorque BSG. The iTorque is only avail on the Sahara in 2020. It may have the little battery though like the 3.6.
You're right about 2020 engine changes and its affects of battery locations. I would imagine the newest non Sahara ess turbos to have the same setup as the v6. The secondary ess battery hidden under the main under the hood.

The point of my previous post was to counter the misinformation about the bsg turbo. On 2 seperate occasions over my eight months of ownership, I've ended up laying on the ground in a parking lot with another JL owner who was interested in seeing how my 48v battery was mounted. They both said they preferred the turbo over the v6 in their initial test drive, but one was turned away because of bad info online and the other was disuaded by an uninformed "buddy".

But again, you are right. I'll have to be more specific because of this new level of change.

Cheers Dave, and all fellow Jeepers!

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
You're right about 2020 engine changes and its affects of battery locations. I would imagine the newest non Sahara ess turbos to have the same setup as the v6. The secondary ess battery hidden under the main under the hood.

The point of my previous post was to counter the misinformation about the bsg turbo. On 2 seperate occasions over my eight months of ownership, I've ended up laying on the ground in a parking lot with another JL owner who was interested in seeing how my 48v battery was mounted. They both said they preferred the turbo over the v6 in their initial test drive, but one was turned away because of bad info online and the other was disuaded by an uninformed "buddy".

But again, you are right. I'll have to be more specific because of this new level of change.

Cheers Dave, and all fellow Jeepers!
Do you know if the 2020 non-eTorque is using the standard ESS battery arraignment? Just curious..
Maybe there should be a "myth dispelling" thread?? I have no "religion" when it comes to such things and to be fair, I've never driven a JL with the 3.6 as none were avail at the time. I look at the practical and decided.

I have the eTorque on my 2019 and it's a stellar performer. And contrary to some popular opinion, it runs perfectly on 87 octane fuel (in testing a few tanks, there was almost NO benefit running 93) The owners manual originally had wording that implied that you could void your warranty if you didn't run 91 octane (changed in later releases and my 2018 had a separate yellow addendum in the glove box stating that 87 was OK). I also have it out in the coal pits running mud, rocks and washouts every chance I get. The batteries and cooling lines are buried so deep in the chassis that I cannot imagine them ever being a damage issue. The instant torque right off idle is worth the price of admission for me, I would guess that they dropped eTorque on most models for a price point to offset the automatic, not for any technical reason.

I totally understand that some might think the 3.6 is a "simple" choice, but that engine isn't the same as the one in the JK and it's got its own issues with ESS and the secondary battery.

NONE of these Jeeps (or options) are "simple", they have miles of wiring harnesses and multiple computers that are extraordinarily complex and can cause issues that are unsolvable at the dealer level (My first JLUR was a buyback for such issues) This is not unique to FCA, all manufactures are pretty much int eh same situation. When I was discussing with the Stericycle guy who did my buyback inspection, he told me of all the problems he's seen in the past couple of years, none are immune...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if the 2020 non-eTorque is using the standard ESS battery arraignment? Just curious..
Maybe there should be a "myth dispelling" thread?? I have no "religion" when it comes to such things and to be fair, I've never driven a JL with the 3.6 as none were avail at the time. I look at the practical and decided.

I have the eTorque on my 2019 and it's a stellar performer. And contrary to some popular opinion, it runs perfectly on 87 octane fuel (in testing a few tanks, there was almost NO benefit running 93) The owners manual originally had wording that implied that you could void your warranty if you didn't run 91 octane (changed in later releases and my 2018 had a separate yellow addendum in the glove box stating that 87 was OK). I also have it out in the coal pits running mud, rocks and washouts every chance I get. The batteries and cooling lines are buried so deep in the chassis that I cannot imagine them ever being a damage issue. The instant torque right off idle is worth the price of admission for me, I would guess that they dropped eTorque on most models for a price point to offset the automatic, not for any technical reason.

I totally understand that some might think the 3.6 is a "simple" choice, but that engine isn't the same as the one in the JK and it's got its own issues with ESS and the secondary battery.

NONE of these Jeeps (or options) are "simple", they have miles of wiring harnesses and multiple computers that are extraordinarily complex and can cause issues that are unsolvable at the dealer level (My first JLUR was a buyback for such issues) This is not unique to FCA, all manufactures are pretty much int eh same situation. When I was discussing with the Stericycle guy who did my buyback inspection, he told me of all the problems he's seen in the past couple of years, none are immune...
I'm not 100% sure, but it would make economic sense for the factory to use the same ess battery location and bracketry on all non bsg engines.

I fully agree with you on all points and comments posted above. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll reach out to join in a day of coal mine adventures. Dinner afterwards will be on me.

ColtSeevers

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl
We drove a 2019 2 door rubicon with the e-torque 2.0l. I loved it, then we drove a 2020 ESS 2.0l also a 2dr rubicon, and I felt as if it was really missing the added torque from the BSG.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i would test drive the 3.6 v6 and see how you like it. i'm not sure how well the turbo 4cly will hold up in the long run. that was one reason why i went with the v6 due to the reliability.
Sponsored