Sponsored

Picking factory options based on Value rather than Worth resulted in a different build?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Why are people too lazy to roll down manual windows? Cruise control, just drive you lazy bastards. Electronic ignition, why are you too lazy to set the gap on your points? Fuel injection, you know you can adjust your carburetor at high elevations if you aren’t too lazy? Every JL is computer controlled at this point, fear of electronics is pointless. One failed module and you’re going nowhere. Not to mention mechanical items fail as well. When the ignition cylinder failed on my old wagoneer I was able to jump the start solenoid and drive it, which likely isn’t even possible on a JL even if you get the base model with a key. Technology is unavoidable, may as well embrace it and enjoy the conveniences that come along with it.
You've convinced me, I'm canceling my order and getting a "Rubicon" horse, can't take any chances on this technology stuff. Think of how much I'll save in gas and I get free fertilizer!
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Correct. Proximity door locks, 8.4” screen and Alpine sound are all standard on Rubicon and Sahara for 2022.
It is a better deal than a 2021 "if" someone wants those options. My 2022 JLR actually priced out less than a comparable 2021 JLR with the same equipment. I do not think that is true after the Jan 17, 2022 price increase. Prices after Jan 17, 2022 are up substantially. I guess I had no right to bitch about the pricing I got back in 2019 for my JLR. :CWL:

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I mean as it has been said, every one values everything differently. People really value a cable TV package if youre a sports fan, because for the most part you will need some sort of cable, sling, youtube live tv etc to watch live sports. If you don't value it, hey Netflix and youre set.

For me, all I wanted was a the premium soft top, selec-trac, and the cold weather package. I was able to get those things and allowed me to stay under my budget, and I absolutely love the Jeep. Others will perceive value differently, but I totally get what you're saying about "losing" something and realizing you don't need it.

My previous car was an Outback with the lane assist, radar detecting cruise control, etc. It was nice, but it took me like 3 days to forget all about that stuff when I moved into a vehicle without it. Don't necessarily miss it, and Im not one to hate on safety features.

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
I tend to change vehicles too much, so for me I am also always thinking about resale value and what the next guy or gal will find valuable as much as what I do as well.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
As someone who spent way too much time planning and overthinking my build before I ordered, this is the result of spending too much time overthinking it. Go with your gut and get the stuff you think you might want but would be difficult or expensive to do aftermarket.

Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
It definitely isn't a feature I couldn't live without, and maybe it's because my 2017 Ram was the 1st push button start vehicle I've owned so they go hand in hand in my brain. If you don't use it then obviously it's a waste of money for you. It still seems illogical to me to have to pull the key out of my pocket to open the vehicle but not to start and drive it? Why bother, especially if you have the proximity locks? If the door is going to unlock as soon as you grab the handle, why are you playing pocket pool on the way to the vehicle? With remote start it makes even more sense. Start the vehicle from the house when I grab wallet/knife/keys/phone to head out, place all items in pockets, walk up to vehicle that is still secure in the driveway, get in. If you just like extra steps sure you can reach in your pocket for fun.
Don't judge me because I like playing in my pocket, lol.

But seriously, I also have a key ring with additional keys connected to my fob so I'm accustomed to pulling out the fob to access the other keys as needed.

Although I have the feature on my JL now, it just seems like an answer to a problem that barely anyone had.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
What this thread boils down to, is that while all the packages & options can be daunting at first, it really provides the customer with the ability to customize their Wrangler how they want from the factory. Or at least as close to as they want.
On my GTO, you got your choice of color and transmission. That’s it.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I know folks today find it hard to believe but we used to actually use 4x4’s that had crank windows, manual hubs, am radios, manual transmissions and rubber floor mats. We actually went places to hunt, fish, and explore in these things and Enjoyed ourselves😊. ‘Course believe it or not we also managed to survive with No cell phones, no computers and only 3 channels on TV, 10 cents cups of coffee and 15 cent burgers. Gosh, I sure miss painting on the walls of my old cave….😏
You have more bravery to share that than I do. Just thinking about those old days, and i need an emergency session with my therapist. I am working through those suppressed memories, and hope someday to be able to look at a manual door lock without crying.

OP
OP
pepeborja

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
I am the OP and appreciate the fine responses and view points on this here topic.

I got to think as to why my build spec changed so much and figured the root cause as “Group Thinking”.

In essence, I was letting the Group drive my decisions on what Factory Options are WORTH having in the spec sheet. The fear of not being “with the group” by “missing out” on what the Group deems as worth having creeps up on you. Better to be "in" than "out".

When one spends enough time in the forum we come to find out what Factory options have well defined camps, with the most visceral "Group Thinking" reactions found on the LED and Safety Group options.

I am glad I gained control of the process by taking "ownership" and changing the way I went about it. YMMV

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I am the OP and appreciate the fine responses and view points on this here topic.

I got to think as to why my build spec changed so much and figured the root cause as “Group Thinking”.

In essence, I was letting the Group drive my decisions on what Factory Options are WORTH having in the spec sheet. The fear of not being “with the group” by “missing out” on what the Group deems as worth having creeps up on you. Better to be "in" than "out".

When one spends enough time in the forum we come to find out what Factory options have well defined camps, with the most visceral "Group Thinking" reactions found on the LED and Safety Group options.

I am glad I gained control of the process by taking "ownership" and changing the way I went about it. YMMV
You're certainly are going against group thinking. You won't find a single post on the forum of someone explaining how happy they are with halogen lights. Obviously no one is wrong for not upgrading to LED's, but of all the options available, the LED package is never not recommended unless the cost puts the build out of budget and nothing else can be cut.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

There was only 3 things worth getting Diesel, LED and Cold Weather.... but that is just me not group think.

MoHeTow!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!, 2022 JLUR4XE Tuscadero ordered
I know folks today find it hard to believe but we used to actually use 4x4’s that had crank windows, manual hubs, am radios, manual transmissions and rubber floor mats. We actually went places to hunt, fish, and explore in these things and Enjoyed ourselves😊. ‘Course believe it or not we also managed to survive with No cell phones, no computers and only 3 channels on TV, 10 cents cups of coffee and 15 cent burgers. Gosh, I sure miss painting on the walls of my old cave….😏
DONT FORGET THE SMOKE SIGNALS!

MoHeTow!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!, 2022 JLUR4XE Tuscadero ordered
Value is different for everyone. I agree with your post, but a lot of people see things differently.

For a direct example taken from this forum, when a proximity entry discussion starts, you'll have people write "I use proximity entry every day, of course it's worth the $$$." In my head, I'd think to myself how I use the unlock button every day on my keyfob and it's free. So why would I pay for something just to not press a button? It's all about perspective and we all share a different one.
We used to stick a key in the little hole in the door and wala the door opened you have to carry the keys anyway and when you use it to start the jeep you knew where they were at when you turned it off so you didn't lock yourself out

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I did the same with my rubicon. Couldn't afford all the bells and whistles and just wanted a rugged dependable trail rig from the factory. Only opted for the premium soft top.

Steel bumpers for $1800?- nah, I can grab aftermarket for a fraction of that!

L.e.d. lights for $1500?- nope...I did fine with halogen on all my vehicles so far....

Safety package??....yeah right.....doesn't keep you safe from morons staring at their phones....

Heated seats, etc.....nah...the heater works good enough.

Tow pkg....nope...jeeps can't tow shit realy...just a bigger battery and alternator, I can outsource that stuff cheaper....

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I did the same with my rubicon. Couldn't afford all the bells and whistles and just wanted a rugged dependable trail rig from the factory. Only opted for the premium soft top.

Steel bumpers for $1800?- nah, I can grab aftermarket for a fraction of that!

L.e.d. lights for $1500?- nope...I did fine with halogen on all my vehicles so far....

Safety package??....yeah right.....doesn't keep you safe from morons staring at their phones....

Heated seats, etc.....nah...the heater works good enough.

Tow pkg....nope...jeeps can't tow shit realy...just a bigger battery and alternator, I can outsource that stuff cheaper....
Some options might be outsourced for less but the Tow Group is not one of them. Now that I think about it? I don't think many factory options can be outsourced for less?

The Tow Group is worth ordering if anyone is even remotely considering any of it's features. The Tow Group is probably one of the best values as far as options "if" somone wants all or parts of the package. You can't replicate the content of the factory Tow Group for less money. The Tow Group is much more than a tow hitch, wiring for the hitch, upgraded alternator and battery. A lot of people probably order the tow package just for the factory wired-in, configurable, AUX switches. The larger battery and alternator is probably not a bad idea for all ESS equipped engines with the small 12V aux battery. Those items are definitely cheaper factory installed. Plus you get a factory warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited: