Picked up the 392 Tuesday

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
392 came in by truck to Cottage Grove late Monday night. Got a look at it, went back Tuesday after lunch and picked it up. Put 1000 miles on it and changed oil and filter yesterday. I kept my '20 2 dr Pentastar powered Rub equipped identically to the 392 sans trail cam. The 392 is different than just being a 4 dr, 392 seats are better, all kinds of little software differences, such as if you are on nav screen and leave it for another screen then come back, the 392 screen goes back to the screen you left rather then going to the home screen and taking a couple of selections to get back to the screen you came from. The 392 will not display the owners manual on the nav display like the JLR will. They have added travel link and the 392 doors can be locked/unlocked, the horn sounded and the engine remote started with your phone, probably comes on several of the '21s. The JLR might have been capable but I never knew about it. The 392 exudes brute raw power, more so than the Z06 Corvettes that I owned. With the exhaust open it is a snarling, burbling beast and for all those who love hot rods it is pure music and to the trained ear, they can tell how much load its pulling, how fast it's turning and whether it is runing in 4 cyl mode or not. This big hemi exudes raw brute visceral power. It makes the LS motors seem smooth and refined, not that they have less power, just.........more refined......and smooth.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
392 came in by truck to Cottage Grove late Monday night. Got a look at it, went back Tuesday after lunch and picked it up. Put 1000 miles on it and changed oil and filter yesterday. I kept my '20 2 dr Pentastar powered Rub equipped identically to the 392 sans trail cam. The 392 is different than just being a 4 dr, 392 seats are better, all kinds of little software differences, such as if you are on nav screen and leave it for another screen then come back, the 392 screen goes back to the screen you left rather then going to the home screen and taking a couple of selections to get back to the screen you came from. The 392 will not display the owners manual on the nav display like the JLR will. They have added travel link and the 392 doors can be locked/unlocked, the horn sounded and the engine remote started with your phone, probably comes on several of the '21s. The JLR might have been capable but I never knew about it. The 392 exudes brute raw power, more so than the Z06 Corvettes that I owned. With the exhaust open it is a snarling, burbling beast and for all those who love hot rods it is pure music and to the trained ear, they can tell how much load its pulling, how fast it's turning and whether it is runing in 4 cyl mode or not. This big hemi exudes raw brute visceral power. It makes the LS motors seem smooth and refined, not that they have less power, just.........more refined......and smooth.
Congratulations! Totally agree! Picked mine up last week. I just wish there was a 4 cylinder on off button like my GC has because 392ā€™s have cam issues reportedly due to MDS . I was told by dealer that it was eliminated because they now take an EPA mpg hit when we have the option to turn it off. Oh well, manual shift turns it off until after market comes up with a fix. Itā€™s a joy to drive.

OP
OP
JJMalone

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Chrysler's MDS system is superior to GM's. I think they have ironed out the problems they had with the early units, similar to the rocker problem on the early Pentastars, the later ones have been reliable, my '20 has 91,000 + miles on it and it idles quiet and smooth as glass with all cylinders firing evenly. And........Got the Mopar max care unlimited 5 year warranty just in case.

I can't believe MDS increases mileage by any significance.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Chrysler's MDS system is superior to GM's. I think they have ironed out the problems they had with the early units, similar to the rocker problem on the early Pentastars, the later ones have been reliable, my '20 has 91,000 + miles on it and it idles quiet and smooth as glass with all cylinders firing evenly. And........Got the Mopar max care unlimited 5 year warranty just in case.

I can't believe MDS increases mileage by any significance.
I hope what you heard is correct and the issues have been ironed out. But I still donā€™t like not having a choice due to ever increasing government regulations.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
One of us one of us!! Welcome and congrats šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
I hope what you heard is correct and the issues have been ironed out. But I still donā€™t like not having a choice due to ever increasing government regulations.
it hasnā€™t not on the 392s atleast. Just get max care and send it. Iā€™m on the SRT GC page and seen 40k mile 392s with trashed cams.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it hasnā€™t not on the 392s atleast. Just get max care and send it. Iā€™m on the SRT GC page and seen 40k mile 392s with trashed cams.
Thanks for the update, even though itā€™s bad news. The MDS on my 15 GC SRT has been turned on once just long enough to see If it worked. Not having the option on my new Wrangler is very aggravating!

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Congratulations! Totally agree! Picked mine up last week. I just wish there was a 4 cylinder on off button like my GC has because 392ā€™s have cam issues reportedly due to MDS . I was told by dealer that it was eliminated because they now take an EPA mpg hit when we have the option to turn it off. Oh well, manual shift turns it off until after market comes up with a fix. Itā€™s a joy to drive.
Is it possible for something like the taser mini to add this in an update?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it possible for something like the taser mini to add this in an update?
I havenā€™t heard of a fix . Range Technology has a plug & play disabler for GM and some F 150ā€™s but I couldnā€™t find any for Mopar/ Jeep. Letā€™s all keep our eyes and ears open and report any news. Unfortunately, our Rubi 392ā€™s are so new with so few produced that I canā€™t see them doing all the R&D for such a small market. Perhaps someone like tazer who have something already exhisting that can be tweaked may

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
What is the app that allows you to start the engine via the phone, lock/unlock doors, etc? I missed this in the owners manual and dealer did not discuss. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JJMalone

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the app that allows you to start the engine via the phone, lock/unlock doors, etc? I missed this in the owners manual and dealer did not discuss. Thank you!
It is the Uconnect app. The communication from your phone to the Jeep is handled by Sirius. The information for creating passwords, pin numbers and registration for this is included in the documents provided at sale. If you don't have them try SiriusXM Guardian Customer Care (877) 320-5761.
Sponsored