Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Jeff,
you're not the only one that's been places with multiple J**ps with multiple different tires. using my case as an example, aside from the set that one J**p came on when new, only one set of mine in nearly 30 years has not been mud tires, and they were traded out before they were worn out.

you've said you love "the sound of a good lug tire"; i believe you. that's fine for you, and you're welcome to it.

clearly, not everyone likes the same thing. not everyone wants to put up with any more noise than they have to, and that's OK too. our J**ps don't have to be as quiet as my German cars, but it's not a problem (for some of us) if they're close, either.

you're not likely going to convince everyone that that noise is *necessary*, though; experience has proven otherwise.

is that enough for this tangent?
my initial point relative to this thread was that the stock Mopar headliners don't do the best job of dampening sound (something some people clearly appreciate), and that there are better options. that still stands.

There is no “want to believe” about it. I’ve been around long enough and worn out enough tires in everything from mud and snow to rock in freezing temps to know what works.
Sound deadening is fine if that’s what you are about but realistically if you want a super quiet ride the Jeep is not the vehicle to get anyway. A RAM pickup like a Power Wagon can do almost everything a Jeep can and ride nice and quiet.
Sponsored

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
i understand that you like noisy, and want to believe that good must equal noisy.
still, tire technology has advanced to the point that makes it possible to have tires that work quite well in varied conditions and don't have to leave your head ringing at the end of a multi-hour drive.

regardless, my comments were more about sound-proofing; and tires aren't the only source of noise in these vehicles. again, there's just no reason to put up with any more noise than you want to, and we don't all want to.
BFG K02's give me everything I need, I'm not dragging this everyday driver over rocks otherwise I would have bought an older non Rubicon and built it for that. I took my 2021 XR over some serious hills and rocks this weekend and didn't get a scratch on it. Plus I hit 70MPH on the desert through small whoops and the 2.5 DSC's worked perfectly. I'm happy, I have done all types of off reading in the past and this thing is one of the most capable and comfortable I have ever been in.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read the whole thread, but wondered if there are any comments on the rear tail light extensions? They seem to push the tail light out an inch or so. Might not be the best idea for the tough Moab trails, but I'd love to get 'em for my 2021 JLUR, since I've got 35s installed. Can't seem to find the part numbers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Picked up my Rubicon Xtreme Recon - pics and first review / impressions DonM 2022-03-06 at 12.03.12

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
Thank you. Any questions… Please ask. And yes, the steps look great. I will make some more observations and post more pictures tomorrow when it’s light.
I am highly considering ordering a Gobi XR soon and switching from my 2.0T Sahara. Now that you have had the XR for some time, what is your mid to longer-term review on it so far, and anything you wish was different/worth it over a base rubicon?

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Don’t waste time do it now while you can delivery times are getting longer by the day. Dealers are already starting to quote 6-9 months for delivery. Any salesman that says otherwise is yanking your chain.

Sponsored

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I haven't read the whole thread, but wondered if there are any comments on the rear tail light extensions? They seem to push the tail light out an inch or so. Might not be the best idea for the tough Moab trails, but I'd love to get 'em for my 2021 JLUR, since I've got 35s installed. Can't seem to find the part numbers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Picked up my Rubicon Xtreme Recon - pics and first review / impressions DonM 2022-03-06 at 12.03.12
They do this to address the safety sensors for the safety group/LED light package. This means that black piece that sticks out contains the safety sensors for lane changing etc.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I am highly considering ordering a Gobi XR soon and switching from my 2.0T Sahara. Now that you have had the XR for some time, what is your mid to longer-term review on it so far, and anything you wish was different/worth it over a base rubicon?
The XR has some great benefits that are worth the 3.9K package. 4:56 Gear Ratio, Wheels Tires, they have the 3rd generation Mojave Dana 44 front Axle, and you get the 4 wheel Antilock disk brakes that are on the 392.

I'm not a fan of the stiff springs in the front and back or the red mopar shocks, for the price tag they should included basic Fox shocks in my opinion. The combination of those base factory mopar springs and shocks make for a terrible ride on and off-road so I changed them out to the Fox 2.5 DSC and RK front springs for now (Triple rate). Without going up in the front you have literally no bump stop clearance as they tuned down the XR to be very stiff and inflexible with nose down for gas mileage from the factory. This is about the most honest opinion you will get from an XR owner.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I will agree about the ride. I also have triple rate springs and MC shocks to swap in. But it drives solid right out of the box. That front diff alone is worth the $4k price of the XR package.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I will agree about the ride. I also have triple rate springs and MC shocks to swap in. But it drives solid right out of the box. That front diff alone is worth the $4k price of the XR package.
The XR is definitely stable out of the box but no travel on the suspension is the problem. I know owners don't buy these things to drive on the road all the time so offroad with all of that clearance and capabilities should come with more than 1 inch of bump stop clearance, the spring solves this quickly.

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
The XR has some great benefits that are worth the 3.9K package. 4:56 Gear Ratio, Wheels Tires, they have the 3rd generation Mojave Dana 44 front Axle, and you get the 4 wheel Antilock disk brakes that are on the 392.

I'm not a fan of the stiff springs in the front and back or the red mopar shocks, for the price tag they should included basic Fox shocks in my opinion. The combination of those base factory mopar springs and shocks make for a terrible ride on and off-road so I changed them out to the Fox 2.5 DSC and RK front springs for now (Triple rate). Without going up in the front you have literally no bump stop clearance as they tuned down the XR to be very stiff and inflexible with nose down for gas mileage from the factory. This is about the most honest opinion you will get from an XR owner.
Thank you for the advice! Definitely want come clearance as that’s the reason I’m wanting a Rubi XR is to do harder trails than my Sahara can do in its current state. Did you do the 2.5in springs in front? I feel that would keep it level and the 3.5 would be to much

Sponsored

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
Don’t waste time do it now while you can delivery times are getting longer by the day. Dealers are already starting to quote 6-9 months for delivery. Any salesman that says otherwise is yanking your chain.
I have heard of any wait times that long. I was quoted 12-15 weeks and seems like most people are getting that the 3 month mark, but who knows anymore especially in current market and supply chain conditions.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Thank you for the advice! Definitely want come clearance as that’s the reason I’m wanting a Rubi XR is to do harder trails than my Sahara can do in its current state. Did you do the 2.5in springs in front? I feel that would keep it level and the 3.5 would be to much
Yes don't do 3.5 it's way too high and it's just going to create instability which a huge investment in other parts. Stick with 2.5 Max and that should settle down a bit but you will still clear 35's easily. Some folks also like Meta but RK uses the same Silicon Alloy Steel or similar than MC. I can at least attest to a great ride with the set of RK springs (Triple rate) that I have. Anyone with feedback on the MC's would also be good or if anyone has a comparison that would also be great for you to hear.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have heard of any wait times that long. I was quoted 12-15 weeks and seems like most people are getting that the 3 month mark, but who knows anymore especially in current market and supply chain conditions.
I don't know I just bought my XR in CA, and I had my choice from 5 dealerships. However, I'm sure they are hard to get if you're looking in a short radius.

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
Yes don't do 3.5 it's way too high and it's just going to create instability which a huge investment in other parts. Stick with 2.5 Max and that should settle down a bit but you will still clear 35's easily. Some folks also like Meta but RK uses the same Silicon Alloy Steel or similar than MC. I can at least attest to a great ride with the set of RK springs (Triple rate) that I have. Anyone with feedback on the MC's would also be good or if anyone has a comparison that would also be great for you to hear.
Awesome! Fortunately, those are relatively cheap to buy and if they make a drastic difference then ill snag some up if I go through with an order. I will likely go test it stock to see what I need for my personal needs but if I find I need the clearance (and sounds like I probably will), Ill definitely get some new front coils.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Awesome! Fortunately, those are relatively cheap to buy and if they make a drastic difference then ill snag some up if I go through with an order. I will likely go test it stock to see what I need for my personal needs but if I find I need the clearance (and sounds like I probably will), Ill definitely get some new front coils.
Yes you're right springs are cheap, shocks not so much but to effectively change the ride you would need both. I can also note that the Full Time Rock Trac version of the Rubicon XR rides much better and feels more connected to the road due to the AWD. The Part time AWD does not feel the same, so if you opt for the full time the ride is decent, drive both you will see what I mean.
Sponsored