Picked up my new JLUR!

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Drove down Friday night and picked it up Saturday morning and we're very happy with the purchase. Here are some observations after the first 2 days of ownership

* Bug magnet! On the 6hr drive home our windshield looked like it got attacked by bugs.
* Don't realize how short the windshield is compared to other cars until you are driving it and feel a lot more closed in without the top off
* Ride is very smooth. Wife was complimentary of it on the long drive home, especially after suffering through the aches of crappy seats in the rented Kia Sorrento.
* When we embarked on our trip home the steering felt very loose, almost like i was swerving in my own lane and had to lightly keep moving the steering wheel left/right. About halfway made a rest stop and the psi on the tires was 46 so aired down to 41 and felt much better
* Getting used to dimensions when navigating tight spaces took a little bit of time. I'm used that when the hood ends, so does the car so accounting for the wheel wells that are out of sight is something i will have to keep in mind.
* The upgraded system is boss

When should the first oil change be made?

Wrangler.jpg
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Drove down Friday night and picked it up Saturday morning and we're very happy with the purchase. Here are some observations after the first 2 days of ownership

* Bug magnet! On the 6hr drive home our windshield looked like it got attacked by bugs.
* Don't realize how short the windshield is compared to other cars until you are driving it and feel a lot more closed in without the top off
* Ride is very smooth. Wife was complimentary of it on the long drive home, especially after suffering through the aches of crappy seats in the rented Kia Sorrento.
* When we embarked on our trip home the steering felt very loose, almost like i was swerving in my own lane and had to lightly keep moving the steering wheel left/right. About halfway made a rest stop and the psi on the tires was 46 so aired down to 41 and felt much better
* Getting used to dimensions when navigating tight spaces took a little bit of time. I'm used that when the hood ends, so does the car so accounting for the wheel wells that are out of sight is something i will have to keep in mind.
* The upgraded system is boss

When should the first oil change be made?

Wrangler.jpg
Cool!
A few thoughts, from one who is only a few months your senior:

Bug magnet for sure. The cheap Walmart stuff that mentions bugs beats the high-dollar stuff all hollow. Squirt liberally and often.
Also keep a partially full jug and some paper towels in the Jeep, if, like me, you think life is too short to see it through a bug-gut mess. The wipers won’t remove bug guts, but a little elbow grease will, especially if applied in a timely fashion, before it sets up.
Windshield is indeed very short, and that mirror is annoyingly intrusive. Just give its stalk a twist, and the whole mess comes off.
Use your side mirrors. The center mirror is marginally useful with the spare anyway. Side mirrors will show you all you need to see, and will make you a better and safer driver to boot.
All of this electronic warning garbage would be unnecessary if people just used their side mirrors.
So 46psi sucked. Not surprised. 41psi is better. Again, not surprised. You ain’t halfway there yet, brother. Skip to 36. Then try 32.
They recommend high pressure because that’s how they got their coveted MPG ratings.
They have to do that to satisfy the rat-bastard commies who infest and dominate our government overlords.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Congratulations!

46 PSI?!? Wow. I would air down more. I have mine at 34 cold, some go even lower.

I love the 8.4, too. So good.
Thanks. I read the plate on the door jamb and it says 37 cold, so figuring psi would go up when hot that 41 would be appropriate. Would 32psi cause additional wear on the tires?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks. I read the plate on the door jamb and it says 37 cold, so figuring psi would go up when hot that 41 would be appropriate. Would 32psi cause additional wear on the tires?
If the door jamb says 37, and you know the pressure will go up after driving, why would you stop airing down at 41? Keep on going to 37 psi cold, and then adjust as necessary.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Love the ZHP E46 330!!! Oh and nice Rubicon too! Im a BMW guy as well as Jeep guy so you have quite the set up in my eyes!

Enjoy both in good health!

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
If the door jamb says 37, and you know the pressure will go up after driving, why would you stop airing down at 41? Keep on going to 37 psi cold, and then adjust as necessary.
because this was after a couple hours of driving. If cold is 37, it will be more when hot, so i figured 41 hot would go down to about 37 when cold. I do need to check now that it's cold and maybe bring it down a little below 37 as some suggested here.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Love the ZHP E46 330!!! Oh and nice Rubicon too! Im a BMW guy as well as Jeep guy so you have quite the set up in my eyes!

Enjoy both in good health!
ZHP is my baby, such a fun car to drive. 6MT FTW. Got it in Jan 2017 with 52k on it and now is about to hit 62k.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
ZHP is my baby, such a fun car to drive. 6MT FTW. Got it in Jan 2017 with 52k on it and now is about to hit 62k.
No offense to your baby... but I gotta say I like the Wrangler more than the Bimmer. It just has more character (IMHO).

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Low mileage too! I sold my E90 M3 ZCP for my Jeep. Wanted a change, almost bought a S54 swapped E46 wagon. Awesome cars
Sponsored