Picatinny Rails on JL

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I have had this idea for years on my JK and never did it, but I'm ready to figure it out for my JL. I want to mount two green lasers, one on each side of the Jeep, either fenders or maybe the cowl. The idea is all these times when I'm just not sure if I can squeeze between two trucks, rocks or trees I just turn them on and see if the beams hit or make it through. The lasers and wiring are the easy part, I have access to military parts, but I don't want to hurt anyone and will go low power for this build. I think the easiest way is two picatinny rails, but I'm open to suggestions. I figured if we can all help Jenne figure out how to raise her windows someone has an idea on my project.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this idea for years on my JK and never did it, but I'm ready to figure it out for my JL. I want to mount two green lasers, one on each side of the Jeep, either fenders or maybe the cowl. The idea is all these times when I'm just not sure if I can squeeze between two trucks, rocks or trees I just turn them on and see if the beams hit or make it through. The lasers and wiring are the easy part, I have access to military parts, but I don't want to hurt anyone and will go low power for this build. I think the easiest way is two picatinny rails, but I'm open to suggestions. I figured if we can all help Jenne figure out how to raise her windows someone has an idea on my project.
Unless you’re a beautiful ginger, I’d keep my expectations low…..🥴

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Hmmm. Why not just get out and walk the obstacle. Mounting lasers i’m sure will just cause problems for others on the trail. And damn sure don’t use them on the road, at all. Seems like they would need to be on the mirrors, as that’s the widest part.

That having been said, I’ve seen all kinds of silly mods. The silliest and most worthless involve lighting. This has to be the silliest yet. Just a sweep of a green laser across someone’s eyes will likely damage their vision. Don’t do it.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
That having been said, I’ve seen all kinds of silly mods. The silliest and most worthless involve lighting. This has to be the silliest yet. Just a sweep of a green laser across someone’s eyes will likely damage their vision. Don’t do it.
Don't accidentally leave the switch on when driving around town. Oooops!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Don't accidentally leave the switch on when driving around town. Oooops!
Yeah accidentally, wink wink. But look at those cool green beams!

OP
OP
Overwatch

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Lots of people either not understanding the use or lasers themselves here. A sweep of a laser is not blinding anybody. You may be thinking of high powered lasers that are being shinned into cockpits with glass everywhere at night. A 3mw laser isn't blinding anybody. As for walking the obstacle I'm actually thinking of city driving with trucks everywhere. I'm constantly trying to get by a garbage truck, moving van or mom dropping off at a school. I can't get out every single time, plus they would help on trails occasionally. While we should ALL walk the obstacles we also all know that doesn't happen each time. I still think this is a great idea....

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nobody used the word blind. Still a bad idea, especially now that you say your obstacle challenges are in town, with people around. I have yet to see any kind of laser equipment that doesn’t have a vision damage warning.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm constantly trying to get by a garbage truck, moving van or mom dropping off at a school.
You make it sound like you are driving in India.

If you look at a gap, and you are not sure you can make it through don't try. Specially if it is "a mom". jeez. Youre gonna shine some lasers at a mom dropping their kids at school?

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
So my bicycle has a rear light that projects a lazer light on the ground next to me to give cars at least some idea of how far to stay away.

Also I recently had plumbers redo the pipes in my bathroom and they ised lasers to ensure everything was level and lined up. Doubt those type would damage anyones eyes. They were both red.
Sponsored