Photo request: Rubi, or Rubi XR 37s and fender chop

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hey all, running a mental debate now, got max terrain fenders but curious how the low center of gravity crowd is running 37s stock height or as close to it as possible. How much bumpstops are y’all running also for flexing?

Ex: I know this was on a max terrain fender thread not sure which, but stock height rubi with 37s and the fenders.
Jeep Wrangler JL Photo request: Rubi, or Rubi XR 37s and fender chop 41359497-17BA-4529-88FE-5A13E3F6E0B5
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, running a mental debate now, got max terrain fenders but curious how the low center of gravity crowd is running 37s stock height or as close to it as possible. How much bumpstops are y’all running also for flexing?

Ex: I know this was on a max terrain fender thread not sure which, but stock height rubi with 37s and the fenders.
Jeep Wrangler JL Photo request: Rubi, or Rubi XR 37s and fender chop 41359497-17BA-4529-88FE-5A13E3F6E0B5
Regardless of ride height, bumpstop spacing generally needs to match the radius increase of the larger tire. Also, backspace needs to decrease in order to maintain clearance at full steering stop in both directions.

I fully understand the concern about keeping a low center of gravity. One thing worth mentioning, is that widening the track width with less backspace will offset the negative affects of raising the centerbof gravity. For example, my JLUR is sitting about 10" higher than stock, but my wheels and tires increased the track width by about 7" compared to stock. It feels more solid and planted now, than it did right out of the factory.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Regardless of ride height, bumpstop spacing generally needs to match the radius increase of the larger tire. Also, backspace needs to decrease in order to maintain clearance at full steering stop in both directions.

I fully understand the concern about keeping a low center of gravity. One thing worth mentioning, is that widening the track width with less backspace will offset the negative affects of raising the centerbof gravity. For example, my JLUR is sitting about 10" higher than stock, but my wheels and tires increased the track width by about 7" compared to stock. It feels more solid and planted now, than it did right out of the factory.
If i stick with kenda, 35in radius is 17.38 vs 37in radius is 18.3 going off of overal diameter on kendas website so I’d need an inch basically. Unless i’m doing math incorrectly. And when I had the jeep flexed out on the forklift it looked like I had about an inch or two left before any rubbing. The rubi axles when I do the swap in the next couple of months will push me 3/4” either side, i have 4.75in bs wheels now, and I really like them so i’m not sure I wanna change wheels. But, if -12mm offset would be better I can start looking around eventually.

My height concerns are also due to Miami’s amazing parking garages being short typically. Most average 6ft 5in to 7ft. Which I know that with a decent lift and 37s I would clear most but not all. At work the garage is 6ft 8in so I’d be fine in there.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If i stick with kenda, 35in radius is 17.38 vs 37in radius is 18.3 going off of overal diameter on kendas website so I’d need an inch basically. Unless i’m doing math incorrectly. And when I had the jeep flexed out on the forklift it looked like I had about an inch or two left before any rubbing. The rubi axles when I do the swap in the next couple of months will push me 3/4” either side, i have 4.75in bs wheels now, and I really like them so i’m not sure I wanna change wheels. But, if -12mm offset would be better I can start looking around eventually.

My height concerns are also due to Miami’s amazing parking garages being short typically. Most average 6ft 5in to 7ft. Which I know that with a decent lift and 37s I would clear most but not all. At work the garage is 6ft 8in so I’d be fine in there.
Oh, I see it now. You have a Sport, and are swapping to Rubicon axles in the near future. Are you also swapping to Rubicon springs and shocks? If so, you'll have plenty of parking garage clearance with 37's.

I used to have the 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger, which actually gave 4" lift over stock, and 38's. It was about 6'7" at the highest point of the hardtop.

Don't take this as an attempt to talk you into a lift. 37's will work just fine with your wheels on Rubicon axles at Rubicon height. It'll just cost a little uptravel. I'm just trying to illustrate that you have some wiggle room for a couple inches of lift, if you should ever want to increase your total suspension travel, while still clearing those lower garages.

My JLUR now has Metalcloaks 4.5" springs, which actually gave 5.5-6" of lift over stock, and 40's. It's now about 6'10" at the highest point. While on vacation down in Tennessee, we stayed a couple nights in Chattanooga, and I had to park in a garage. It was marked 6'6", but fortunately the overhead concrete beams arched up to 7' in the middle of the aisles and there were no speed bumps. I had to park on the roof in order to pull all the way into the parking spots. Here's a couple pics...

Jeep Wrangler JL Photo request: Rubi, or Rubi XR 37s and fender chop 20220830_202208
Jeep Wrangler JL Photo request: Rubi, or Rubi XR 37s and fender chop 20220830_204301

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Oh, I see it now. You have a Sport, and are swapping to Rubicon axles in the near future. Are you also swapping to Rubicon springs and shocks? If so, you'll have plenty of parking garage clearance with 37's.

I used to have the 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger, which actually gave 4" lift over stock, and 38's. It was about 6'7" at the highest point of the hardtop.

Don't take this as an attempt to talk you into a lift. 37's will work just fine with your wheels on Rubicon axles at Rubicon height. It'll just cost a little uptravel. I'm just trying to illustrate that you have some wiggle room for a couple inches of lift, if you should ever want to increase your total suspension travel, while still clearing those lower garages.

My JLUR now has Metalcloaks 4.5" springs, which actually gave 5.5-6" of lift over stock, and 40's. It's now about 6'10" at the highest point. While on vacation down in Tennessee, we stayed a couple nights in Chattanooga, and I had to park in a garage. It was marked 6'6", but fortunately the overhead concrete beams arched up to 7' in the middle of the aisles and there were no speed bumps. I had to park on the roof in order to pull all the way into the parking spots. Here's a couple pics...

20220830_202208.jpg
20220830_204301.jpg
I’ve got rubi springs and shocks now, I actually have rubi xr springs waiting to get installed as well. Gonna do it when i do the axles in a couple of months. So that would raise me an extra 1-1.5in.

As for shocks, for now I’ve got rubi rear shocks front and rear. I did an alignment and during it the shop I took the jeep to mentioned my front leaking shocks and said he had spare rubi shocks lying around so I said eh why not. Doesn’t seem to bottom out before bumpstop when when flexed the jeep out so for now it’s working.

Thanks for the reference of height, i’ll be considering going higher in the future if I do add 37s. Initially for my plans it was to optimize up travel while staying relatively low and stuff as big a tire as possible without sacrificing a lot of up travel.
Sponsored