Sponsored

Phoenix Automotive 12.1" Android Stereo... anyone have it yet?

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It looks impressive. I suspect there would be loss of too many factory features (off road, hybrid, Guardian) to put this in a 4xe or 8.4 system. I'm used to Ford, where you can upgrade and retain all that stuff.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'd hate losing the physical AC controls. Plus it says on the web site that the radio is available for "pre-order" and that "the price will increase as it's getting closer to the release date". I'm not sure that means even if one purchases now, that price is locked in.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I'd hate losing the physical AC controls. Plus it says on the web site that the radio is available for "pre-order" and that "the price will increase as it's getting closer to the release date". I'm not sure that means even if one purchases now, that price is locked in.
I agree, all the pre-order, pre-availability stuff sounds like a Kickstarter thing 😄. But the radio looks pretty pimp - if I hadn't already installed a Stinger I'd give it a try (if/when it's available)....

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

if I hadn't already installed a Stinger I'd give it a try
I would have considered it a possibility as well, but I've upgraded to the 8.4" Uconnect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
themartinz

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I agree, all the pre-order, pre-availability stuff sounds like a Kickstarter thing 😄. But the radio looks pretty pimp - if I hadn't already installed a Stinger I'd give it a try (if/when it's available)....
I'm assuming you did the Stinger Heigh10? Are you happy with it? I like the clean look of the Heigh10 and my understanding is that it maintains the HD signal from the reverse cam. Can you confirm that? Can it do any off road maps or are you stuck with the built in apps?

One thing I like about the android idea, is you can install Gaia or OnX offroad maps, and you can also use the wifi feature and install the gopro app and use gopros as trail cameras or whatever and control from the head unit. Trade off is its a Chinese radio so it will always be buggy and quirky. I believe the Insane head unit is android.

OP
OP
themartinz

themartinz

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
I asked them when the units were shipping and the reply I got made it clear I was speaking to someone from another country. They made it seem as thought they were shipping now, but the website doesn't seem to indicate that. I also asked them about it retaining any factory features, and there reply was for me to send them a picture of my dash so they know its the right unit. Clearly, there is a language barrier here and the customer service people I "chatted" with are simply selling a product and not experts.

That said, Phoenix has been around for a while and sell a lot of OEM replacement units. Most reviews of all of these "Tesla" style radios are that they are decent, but not great. Gotta give them props for the look, and at 1/3rd the price of the Alpine unit.

I really want someone else to be the guinea pig and buy this sucker and review it !!!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I asked them when the units were shipping and the reply I got made it clear I was speaking to someone from another country. They made it seem as thought they were shipping now, but the website doesn't seem to indicate that. I also asked them about it retaining any factory features, and there reply was for me to send them a picture of my dash so they know its the right unit. Clearly, there is a language barrier here and the customer service people I "chatted" with are simply selling a product and not experts.

That said, Phoenix has been around for a while and sell a lot of OEM replacement units. Most reviews of all of these "Tesla" style radios are that they are decent, but not great. Gotta give them props for the look, and at 1/3rd the price of the Alpine unit.

I really want someone else to be the guinea pig and buy this sucker and review it !!!
I hadn't seen the Alpine...Dang, is it really $3k??

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I'm assuming you did the Stinger Heigh10? Are you happy with it? I like the clean look of the Heigh10 and my understanding is that it maintains the HD signal from the reverse cam. Can you confirm that? Can it do any off road maps or are you stuck with the built in apps?

One thing I like about the android idea, is you can install Gaia or OnX offroad maps, and you can also use the wifi feature and install the gopro app and use gopros as trail cameras or whatever and control from the head unit. Trade off is its a Chinese radio so it will always be buggy and quirky. I believe the Insane head unit is android.
Yeah, the Heigh10. Like it and has been reliable so far. Keeps the HD rear cam and I added an $11 front cam easily. I'm using the iGo navigation which is the only built in nav system. I heard you can use some others via Android Auto.

Sponsored

Djh

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I really want to pull the trigger on one of these upgrades. I have the sad 7" system. I'm not an audiophile or techie but this stuff is just embarrassing. My decade old F150 with stock (upgraded) Sony system makes the Jeep sound & look pathetic. I've upgraded every speaker and it's obvious that it's the system feeding the speakers that's the problem.

It seems like the Heigh10 is the most audio focused system (besides the absurdly priced Alpine). Does anyone have any experience to comment on sound quality from these systems and/or the addition of small amplifiers or subs (most likely self contained)?

billmans

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Hi Everyone - just wanted to share as I have been watching this thread waiting to see updates since I ordered mine back in May - I got my radio from Phoenix last week - so far I am loving it.

Pros
  • Install was super easy
  • Radio fit is amazing - I have installed many aftermarket radios and this fits perfect and looks stock
  • Tablet runs fast - apps are snappy
  • Mobile Data works perfect - just put the sim in and it works
  • Startup is instant / almost no different than stock
  • Retained control of everything - back-up camera/HVAC/Steering wheel controls all work great.
  • Wireless Apple Car play works - although you don't need it anymore
  • Bluetooth works great

Cons
  • User interface could use a designer to show it some love - but all is functional, not a big deal since android apps run on their own and look great, this is what you see most of the time.
  • The touch screen is not the best - it works - but not like using an iPad or anything - I notice this most when typing with an onscreen keyboard. I have actually opened a ticket to see if this is specific to mine - or they want to swap it out.
  • There is a guy (Sergey?) who you can buy an updated interface for this type of radio - but he does not support this model yet!
  • The only thing I lost is SiriusXM which I did not have in this car - but....since we do have it in the other car I am using the SiriusXM app on the tablet and share the other account. (this is a pro or con depending on how you look at it)
Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to share..

Here is my referral link - 5% off if you use it to buy one! :)

https://refrr.app/cut6zf8DI3/62799

IMG_1526.JPEG

IMG_1512.JPEG

Osmotech

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I ordered mine on October 4th. Called before I placed the order and was told that they had it in stock and that it would ship same day or next day once they had my dash pictures. They have since told me 10-15 days, then 2-3 weeks. I have asked for a refund but they have not responded to that. I wouldn't be upset if I wasn't lied to about it being in stock "in California" and had been told that it would have to be shipped from china. Every time I have contacted them I have been lied to and at this point just want a refund and I will order the Linkswell.

billmans

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
I ordered mine on October 4th. Called before I placed the order and was told that they had it in stock and that it would ship same day or next day once they had my dash pictures. They have since told me 10-15 days, then 2-3 weeks. I have asked for a refund but they have not responded to that. I wouldn't be upset if I wasn't lied to about it being in stock "in California" and had been told that it would have to be shipped from china. Every time I have contacted them I have been lied to and at this point just want a refund and I will order the Linkswell.
It did take for ever, but to be fair it was a pre-order. I got the same run around when I would ask - couple of weeks etc! That said, when it did ship it took about a week to get here.

Osmotech

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
It did take for ever, but to be fair it was a pre-order. I got the same run around when I would ask - couple of weeks etc! That said, when it did ship it took about a week to get here.
If mine had been a preorder than I would definitely be understanding. My issue is I was told they had in stock in the US. Placed order and now given the run around. I also paid for express shipping. I would be happy if it was at least shipped, but every time I contact them it is some other BS. Product might be great but customer service is horrible.
Sponsored