Philadelphia-area/Delco Dealers

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara (ordered 10/24); 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
law stuff
I first started looking on these boards a few weeks ago, and I had trouble finding centralized information on Philly-area dealers. So, I figured I’d put some numbers together for the next poor soul who is in the area and trying to find the best deal. The tl/dr here is that no Philly-area dealers will go anywhere near Farrish/Koons/Criswell, and you are likely better off making the 3-4 hour trek to NOVA/MD.

I was in the market for a 2019 JL Sahara with an MSRP of $49,165 and an invoice of $46,442. I got quotes from the VA/MD dealers first, knowing that they would be lower than the Philly dealers. Then, I tried to leverage the out-of-state offers against the Philly-area offers. I indicated that I’d rather have a relationship with a local dealer and save myself a trip (which was true). Unfortunately, most of the time, the Philly-area dealers just said they couldn’t come close to the out-of-state offers.

1. Farrish (VA) – 7.25% off invoice (with a requirement to finance through them) for a total of $43,074 + 699 doc fee. Total before tax was $43,733. 6.25% off invoice without financing. Required a affiliate code at time of purchase.

2. Koons (VA) – offered 5% off invoice, but wouldn’t match Farrish (and, IIRC, they said something about watching out for Farrish’s being shady, which I always find a little shady in and of itself). Ended with an offer of $44,119 + 699 doc fee. Total before tax was $44,818.

3. Criswell (MD) – offered 6% off invoice, but gave me the wrong build info. Would have worked out to be more than Farrish anyways, and they gave me a higher price even knowing what Farrish had offered.

4. Family Jeep (Philadelphia, PA) – said the MSRP was $50,156 (which was obviously incorrect) and offered $47,573 + 141 doc fee. Wouldn’t even lower price after seeing the Farrish offer. Total before tax was $47,714 = 2.4% over invoice.

5. Videon (Newtown Square, PA) – indicated he would sell at 45,963 + 141 doc fee. Couldn’t match Farrish and didn’t try to come close. If you absolutely want to buy local, I would recommend these guys. Responsive and professional. Even said that I should take Farrish's deal because it was a great deal and they just couldn't match, which I found to be a pretty honest answer. I would be surprised if they wouldn't match David's price below. Total before tax was $46,104 = ~1% under invoice.

6. David Dodge (Glen Mills, PA) – initial offer was $47,832, but dropped to $45,442 after showing the Farrish quote. Unsure of doc fee here. Total before tax was $45,442 + doc fee (unknown) = ~2.15% under invoice.

7. Courtesy Jeep (Coatesville, PA) – emailed Kate a few times based on recommendations from the board, but never heard back. From what I gather, this probably would've been the best price for a local-ish dealer. [EDIT: people have noted getting 6% off invoice. I would recommend calling, rather than emailing, as Kate doesn't seem to get (or respond) to initial emails.]

[EDIT: 8. Norristown Jeep - commenter below noted getting 4% off invoice, which seems to be the best deal in/around Philly that isn't a Jeep from Kate.]

Ultimately, I went with Spencer at Farrish because they were the lowest by a fair margin, and because Spencer was very responsive to emails. Closest Philly-area dealer was at least $1,709 (plus unknown doc fee at David Dodge) more than Farrish, which comes out to only ~2.15% under invoice. I used to live in NOVA, so it’ll be nice to take a day trip back to the area. Admittedly, I didn’t hit every Philly-area dealer, but I live in Delco so I generally stayed south and west of the city, and honestly after the first three dealers didn’t come close to the VA/MD dealers, I didn’t really want to waste my time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW Z4, 2015 Edge (to be replaced by 2019 Sahara UL)
We’re also Delco/Philly people. THANKS for your reviews! We’ve been talking to Courtesy (Kate), David’s and Videon. Here’s our rundown:

Videon asked for build info but hasn’t quoted
Courtesy very responsive and Kate did come up with an excellent price for this area, but not close enough to Farrish/Koons to justify not using either of them. We started by saying the % under invoice we wanted, and she started at less, went up a bit but still not close enough even after we repeatedly said what we wanted, and didn’t budge.
David’s was impossible. Hubby went in person, test drove, asked about ordering and got a total runaround - they pushed hard to buy off the lot, even after he repeatedly said that wasn’t a possibility. Never got close to price.

Out of area: Farrish & Koons are both excellent possibilities, total OTD (not considering financing) almost identical. Still confirming final numbers. If Farrish requires us to finance with them that’s going to be a deal breaker; we want to shop around for financing. We may end up with dealer financing but we don’t want to lock ourselves in to that.

Criswell hasn’t answered first email; sent them followup. I get Marco is busy, but if he’s too busy to give a quote then we can’t consider him.

Thanks again for that review, saves us any more local follow ups.

OP
OP

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
law stuff
I had same issue with Criswell. Finally got a response, and it wasn’t as good as Farrish, even with Criswell’s lower doc fee.

Re: financing through Farrish: consider the fact that you’ll be able to refinance whenever you’d like.

GoVols254

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler (Soon)
I had same issue with Criswell. Finally got a response, and it wasn’t as good as Farrish, even with Criswell’s lower doc fee.

Re: financing through Farrish: consider the fact that you’ll be able to refinance whenever you’d like.
I am from MONTCO philly area and went through the exact excercise as you getting 3 quotes around 6-7% below invoice and then shopping it around. At the end of the day these dealers have their head in the sand that other are actually making these deals.

I too went with Farrish and Spencer. Been very smooth to date.

As far as financing I am going in with a check from Bank of America financing to buy the car outright so that they either do better than my agreed to rate or I have my fall back.

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

But at used car rates, true?

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I went with Kate from Courtesy. I also tried email, never received a response, not sure if the spam filters block inquiries. So I called her.. And got a good price. I don't have to travel hours for a great deal. I get to stay local. If there is a problem with the Jeep, I don't have to worry about living in one state vs. another state and the varying lemon laws between those states. Dealer fees were very reasonable also.

OP
OP

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
law stuff
But at used car rates, true?
I just got off the phone with a local credit union in Wilmington (where I work), and I was told that if I refi within 6 months, I will get "new car" financing rates. I would presume they aren't the only credit union to have a policy like that.

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - we were going to call DEXSTA too actually :>

OP
OP

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
law stuff
Thanks - we were going to call DEXSTA too actually :>
Louviers seems to be a bit lower; I'd see if you qualify to be a member and see how they compare.

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, thanks, you are right, and we do qualify. BTW we may know each other if SCD rings a bell....

Sponsored

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
I got my rubicon at Norristown Jeep. It was 4% under invoice. I went with the local dealer and have been very happy with the service. James Davis was a good guy to deal with.

OP
OP

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
law stuff
Wow, thanks, you are right, and we do qualify. BTW we may know each other if SCD rings a bell....
While the joke in DE is that everybody knows everybody, SCD doesn't ring a bell, unfortunately.

OP
OP

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
law stuff
I got my rubicon at Norristown Jeep. It was 4% under invoice. I went with the local dealer and have been very happy with the service. James Davis was a good guy to deal with.
Nice! That's a good deal.

OP
OP

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
law stuff
I went with Kate from Courtesy. I also tried email, never received a response, not sure if the spam filters block inquiries. So I called her.. And got a good price. I don't have to travel hours for a great deal. I get to stay local. If there is a problem with the Jeep, I don't have to worry about living in one state vs. another state and the varying lemon laws between those states. Dealer fees were very reasonable also.
Yeah, I probably should have called. In any event, it is still a decent drive for me to get to Coatesville such that I wouldn't use them for service, though certainly not as far as Fairfax. Glad you got a good deal; she seems like she's well reviewed on these boards.

Admittedly, I didn't even think of lemon laws. If things got to the point where I was moving forward with lemon law issues, it'd be a pain whether I got the jeep in PA or VA.
Sponsored