Peterson Jeep Review

Recess

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I just picked up my factory ordered Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon from Petersen jeep in idaho. I made the road trip from Northern California and worked directly with Kent Shurtleff. This was by far my best interaction with any dealer in my life. Kent was great to work with and their price couldn't be beat by any dealer in my neck of the woods. So happy that I discovered Kent through this forum!
Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
I just picked up my factory ordered Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon from Petersen jeep in idaho. I made the road trip from Northern California and worked directly with Kent Shurtleff. This was by far my best interaction with any dealer in my life. Kent was great to work with and their price couldn't be beat by any dealer in my neck of the woods. So happy that I discovered Kent through this forum!
Congrats! Now let's see some pics!

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON diesel - Sarge
Congrats. That was my experience as well when dealing with Kent.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I drove to Boise from the Phoenix area to deal with Kent. I got the best deal (by far) on the price of my new Rubicon as well as my trade-in. Easy, smooth, awesome experience!

Sponsored

Deleted member 35398

But.........you HAVE to finance through them, right? Or pay more.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
But.........you HAVE to finance through them, right? Or pay more.
First post on JLWF.com.

We just purchased our first new car ever from Kent Shurtleff this past weekend.

We originally were looking at JKs 2014 and newer. We ventured over to Peterson's to see if they had any used Wranglers, and my wife hit on the Bikini Pearl color.

I inquired, just kind of off hand, on something there, and got a response from a saleswoman, who once on the phone got a sense I knew more about the Wrangler than she did, and sent me over to Kent.

He was a little flaky communication wise, but I'm an understanding person (maybe to a fault my wife would say), but he was honest, and THAT is more important.

By this time I'd run some numbers and seen that new was not that much more monthly than the 2014s and 16s we'd been seeing.

Factor in warranties, having EVERYTHING you want, and it became clear if we could get it within the budget we'd be in a new Sahara.

Kent worked with me, on the phone, about what all I wanted for my wife in her Jeep, and the total came out to be a hair over $43K. 10 weeks order time, once the factories started producing again.

Then something interesting happened...

I read about the 2.0T. I asked Kent about it and we came down to test drive one, versus the JK 3.6L.

He originally picked out a Willy's with a soft top for us to drive, then remembered the fully loaded Sahara we were going to order, plus my wife's want to be in the same color.

He put us in the JLUR we ended up buying (great salesman ship :D ).

At Peterson's in Nampa they give $2K off invoice for a trade, plus the trade amount. We ended up not doing that. He put in our Fusion and saw the $4300 they wanted to give us and told me not to. Again, the honesty.

Financing through them gives you a higher interest rate for 6 months, but $2k off invoice. It appears to be worth it. I'll let you all know in 6 months when we go to refi.

But Jeremie in the finance department was awesome in that regard, along with Kent, in calming my worries about that.

So when it was all said and done, on the window our JLUR is $56 and change, with sale price, tax, doc, and what not, for like $51K. Out the door financing.

I've dealt with Dave Smith up north, they're great, but the price wasn't low enough.

I saw Dennis Dillon in Boise, price not low enough.

Peterson's though? Just right.

Jeep JLUR 01.PNG

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First post on JLWF.com.

We just purchased our first new car ever from Kent Shurtleff this past weekend.

We originally were looking at JKs 2014 and newer. We ventured over to Peterson's to see if they had any used Wranglers, and my wife hit on the Bikini Pearl color.

I inquired, just kind of off hand, on something there, and got a response from a saleswoman, who once on the phone got a sense I knew more about the Wrangler than she did, and sent me over to Kent.

He was a little flaky communication wise, but I'm an understanding person (maybe to a fault my wife would say), but he was honest, and THAT is more important.

By this time I'd run some numbers and seen that new was not that much more monthly than the 2014s and 16s we'd been seeing.

Factor in warranties, having EVERYTHING you want, and it became clear if we could get it within the budget we'd be in a new Sahara.

Kent worked with me, on the phone, about what all I wanted for my wife in her Jeep, and the total came out to be a hair over $43K. 10 weeks order time, once the factories started producing again.

Then something interesting happened...

I read about the 2.0T. I asked Kent about it and we came down to test drive one, versus the JK 3.6L.

He originally picked out a Willy's with a soft top for us to drive, then remembered the fully loaded Sahara we were going to order, plus my wife's want to be in the same color.

He put us in the JLUR we ended up buying (great salesman ship :D ).

At Peterson's in Nampa they give $2K off invoice for a trade, plus the trade amount. We ended up not doing that. He put in our Fusion and saw the $4300 they wanted to give us and told me not to. Again, the honesty.

Financing through them gives you a higher interest rate for 6 months, but $2k off invoice. It appears to be worth it. I'll let you all know in 6 months when we go to refi.

But Jeremie in the finance department was awesome in that regard, along with Kent, in calming my worries about that.

So when it was all said and done, on the window our JLUR is $56 and change, with sale price, tax, doc, and what not, for like $51K. Out the door financing.

I've dealt with Dave Smith up north, they're great, but the price wasn't low enough.

I saw Dennis Dillon in Boise, price not low enough.

Peterson's though? Just right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Peterson Jeep Review Jeep JLUR 01.PNG

We bought from Kent as well. Go ahead and refinance, you do not have to wait the 6 months.

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We bought from Kent also, you can go ahead and refinance. Don't wait until the 6 months is over.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We bought from Kent also, you can go ahead and refinance. Don't wait until the 6 months is over.
No call from Kent or anything? I thought we even signed something saying we wouldn't refi for six months?

Plus it's dishonest isn't it?

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
No call from Kent or anything? I thought we even signed something saying we wouldn't refi for six months?

Yes, it's dishonest if you made a verbal commitment whether you signed anything to that effect or not. There's lots of people that don't let things like that bother them though when it comes to personal gain. You should do what you feel is right.

Later,
Johnny

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

6 months of interest at whatever rate you are at isn't going to be worth your moral compass. So if you feel you want to wait 6 months to "do the right thing" I'd say wait.

However double check with your credit union on refinancing rates. I work for a large CU in California and here's a couple things to be mindful of:
1) Often times, interest rates are different for used vs new vehicles. You may want to check with your CU what window of time do they designate when a vehicle that's "new", becomes "used", for refinance rates purposes.
2) Most the time, the dealerships already make their broker fee by originating the loan. The 6 month window they quoted you may be their "buffer" to ensure the loan they issued you, makes it to the bank / credit union, gets processed and they get paid their broker fee. Most of the time this happens in less than a month, if not nearly right away. I don't know how Peterson's contracts are setup with their lenders so I can't speak on their behalf with 100% certainty, but what I've claimed is pretty common industry practice.

congrats on the Jeep! I hope to join the club in a red rubicon towards the end of the year :)

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I discussed with Kent. When he saw the high rate, he said go ahead and refinance. So not dishonest. Thanks

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I discussed with Kent. When he saw the high rate, he said go ahead and refinance. So not dishonest. Thanks
Right on man! BTW, I hope I didn't come across as high and mighty. I swear.

I learned at an early age that I don't have luck, nor a memory. So I try not to even fib as it's usually more hassle later.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
6 months of interest at whatever rate you are at isn't going to be worth your moral compass. So if you feel you want to wait 6 months to "do the right thing" I'd say wait.

However double check with your credit union on refinancing rates. I work for a large CU in California and here's a couple things to be mindful of:
1) Often times, interest rates are different for used vs new vehicles. You may want to check with your CU what window of time do they designate when a vehicle that's "new", becomes "used", for refinance rates purposes.
2) Most the time, the dealerships already make their broker fee by originating the loan. The 6 month window they quoted you may be their "buffer" to ensure the loan they issued you, makes it to the bank / credit union, gets processed and they get paid their broker fee. Most of the time this happens in less than a month, if not nearly right away. I don't know how Peterson's contracts are setup with their lenders so I can't speak on their behalf with 100% certainty, but what I've claimed is pretty common industry practice.

congrats on the Jeep! I hope to join the club in a red rubicon towards the end of the year :)
It's interesting, I actually spoke candidly with my financier at Peterson's who is going to have me call HIM in 6 months because he knows a guy at the local credit union for hopefully even better rates than what's on the website.

I DID ask about the new/used in 6 months, and Idaho Central Credit Union work by years: so 2018 and newer gets a rate, 2014-16 gets a slightly higher one, etc.

Makes it nice for the new/used BS.
Sponsored