Sponsored

Pet crate vs Mopar pet partition barrier net?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I suggested to my brother to buy Pet Crate for our dog cookieta since most of the time we are traveling with her then he sends me this https://www.allmoparparts.com/part-model/jeep-wrangler-jl-barrier-net.html he said it gives more space for cookieta when but is it safer for the pet than crate?
LOL. That fishnet stocking stuff just keeps rover from climbing into the front seat while driving. I had one dog that would defeat all kinds of barriers like that to get in the lap of the front passenger, any passenger. That bird dog just loved to put her nose against the vent.

The real safety issue is rover flying forward into the human occupants in an accident or even a hard braking event (rover's injuries aside). A crate alone just adds to the mass hitting occupants, unless it's adequately secured. Think 30 Gs as a minimum when considering accident forces.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
It also depends on the crate. A standard in-house crate will do nothing to mitigate the risk to your dog in a high-speed collision. They are not designed for that.

Ideally, a crate that is designed for the worst auto accident imaginable is the ideal crate - one that is strapped down, that your dog barely fits in (otherwise he-she will slam into the side of the crate at the same speed the vehicle was going when hit), and can survive a vehicle rollover with the vehicle roof crushing down on the crate but not crushing the crate, or popping open and releasing your dog at the accident scene.

We went with one of these crates. They are expensive; we protect and safeguard our pets as if they were our children. https://gunner.com/pages/shop

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
FREE,Roaming Dogs!
One thing I put in my Jeep is the Mopar Gap Hider.

Gap Hider.jpg

Jeep Dogs.jpg

Sponsored

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
My wife has worked in animal rescue for close to thirty years, and I can't tell you the number of times we have heard stories of dogs/cats running away from the scene of an accident, never to be found again. We've even been involved in searches for these missing pets.

She's been involved with enough of those stories that she won't even let me out of the driveway before she has the pooches imprisoned.

When our dogs ride with us, we use a harness (a collar could act as a noose in the event of an accident) and a secured leash. We actually have a couple of leashes that slip into a seat belt buckle. And the JL has some convenient tie off points in back.

We don't have a full lineup of different sized harnesses, so when she transports beasts to foster homes, or to other rescuers, she secures a crate with either the seat belt or tie downs.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
We have fur kids and travel in a motorhome with them. Currently only 2 usually 3 beag/beag mixes. They also join us on day trips when in the SUV. They have been to more national parks than most people. We have them in harnesses and anchored with pet seatbelts. I'm under no illusion this passes any high impact crash tests. I can also tell ya in the last, over 40 years since we've been rescuing dogs, they live for being in the car with us. I'm talking days where we pack a cooler & spend the whole day in Yellowstone, Glacier, or Rocky Mountain, etc. We have the seats down and they are kings with their beds/blankets etc. seeing all the sights. Kennels would ruin it so I guess I'm rationalizing a lower level of safety. I am looking for that Mopar type product to block them from the cockpit if mom & dad want to do a hike or something they would not be allowed on. But I want it to be installed behind the front row not the rear seats so they can have the whole cargo area. Anyone know if the Mopar net can also go behind driver/passenger seats?
Sponsored