Sponsored

Personal experience with airing down stock "off-road" tires on 2021 JLURD?

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Yes I air down currently but the new JP will be stock for this trip. I want to air down but this will be a new experience with said brand and size. Does anyone have personal experience with this tire off road and aired down? Trip will be Colorado mountain trails. I will want to air down as far as needed. Between 12 and 18 PSI is my hope/plan. Thx.

BF Goodrich LT285/70R17C BSW Off-Road Tires
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
My JP had the stock Falken's on it and I've wheeled with some other stock JLUR's with the BF's, we all would air down to about 15-18 and it was good for most of the trails around here. It's hard to say since you're in the diesel and it's a tad heavier, what trails are you trying to play on in CO? I've been as low as 10 psi on stock rims with both 285's and 315's but it makes me a bit worried i', going to pop a bead.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Last two years on a stock JLUR with the 3.6 in Colorado I aired down to around 18-20 and it was a pretty comfy ride. I didn’t have any issue or concerns about popping a bead and had plenty of traction on the ko2’s

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
My JP had the stock Falken's on it and I've wheeled with some other stock JLUR's with the BF's, we all would air down to about 15-18 and it was good for most of the trails around here. It's hard to say since you're in the diesel and it's a tad heavier, what trails are you trying to play on in CO? I've been as low as 10 psi on stock rims with both 285's and 315's but it makes me a bit worried i', going to pop a bead.
We are in the planning stages now but most will be the usual that are discussed in popular videos of the area as well as found in the following book. Some examples are Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer pass.

JpBook.jpg

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Don’t have the rubicon but for what it’s worth I aired down my stock sport 245’s to 15psi playing on the rocks before the lift and 35’s and never had an issue. I had the Goodyear wrangler Kevlar tires.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I've had the K02s down to 15 psi on the trail at Rausch Creek, and they worked well. Our guide said most factory wheel/tire setups can do 15 psi without a problem.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
KO2s here on my 2018 JLUR. Both 285 and 315. Run them at 16#. Better ride and good traction.

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
Got it Wednesday, took it out in the rocks on Thursday...dropped the factory KO2 BFG's to 16 psi....did great!

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I've been airing my tires down to about 20psi and so far, I've popped two tire beads. The one was pretty bad where you could hear it hiss when airing up. The other tire is a slow leaker; maybe about a psi every couple of days. The one was a front and the other was a rear.

I'm starting to wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong... It seems like each outing I pop at least one bead.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I was in the San Juans in Sept. I aired down to 15 the first day and ran at 20 the next. I felt more comfortable at 20 but didn't have any problems with either.

Sponsored

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
We’ve aired down our Sahara with JLUR wheels and BFG KO2’s to 15 lbs probably a hundred times for driving on sand without problem.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I've been airing my tires down to about 20psi and so far, I've popped two tire beads. The one was pretty bad where you could hear it hiss when airing up. The other tire is a slow leaker; maybe about a psi every couple of days. The one was a front and the other was a rear.

I'm starting to wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong... It seems like each outing I pop at least one bead.
What kind of terrain are you driving on?
On rocks I've gone down as low as 12psi several times with no problem.
The last time I was playing in mud I went to 15psi and got some grit between the wheel and tire which caused a slow leak. @Discount Tire was cool enough to pop it off, clean it up, remount and rebalance for no charge.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
What kind of terrain are you driving on?
On rocks I've gone down as low as 12psi several times with no problem.
The last time I was playing in mud I went to 15psi and got some grit between the wheel and tire which caused a slow leak. @Discount Tire was cool enough to pop it off, clean it up, remount and rebalance for no charge.
My one tire was probably a mud puddle. That or it happened when I was driving down a slope into a small creek. That was the big hisser. :) I believe there was dirt and rocks/gravel that stuck stuck in the bead preventing it from sealing. I took it to discount and they did the same as you, but were unsuccessful at getting it fixed. I took it back and the guy said I needed a new tire and I said thanks but no thanks. I then took it to a mom and pop place and they charged $25 but it was fixed.

My second tire is a smaller leak. I believe that this happened when I was trying to get up over a rock wall. I don't know if I slid into a rock, backed down onto one, or maybe tried to drive over it. There is some wheel damage where it scraped, and that's close to where it's leaking on the bead. I'm a bit concerned that I may had caused permanent rim damage but it really does look like it's just cosmetic and on the outside part of it. I think I'll bring this one to the mom and pop place next week, but hopefully they can fix this one too.

It's getting expensive if this continues to happen every time I go out. I don't know if it's me, or if maybe the tires were never really sealed all the way from the factory or what. I tend to think maybe it's just my luck, but wondering if I should even air down after having to bring a tire in after every outing.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
ah interesting. When I was asking a bunch of questions, they told me if the wheel looked damaged, they could try some kind of sealant. Fortunately that wasn't required. Good luck!
Sponsored